Anyone off work due mainly to the brain fog?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalaya, Nov 3, 2005.

1. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Goodevening to all.It just struck me that I never thought to ask if anyone is disabled or does need to take time away from work due mainly to the neurological impairment[brain fog]?Ofcourse there is the fatigue and fibro pain but do any of you cope well enough with those two but the brain fog is so intolerable and debilitating that you are in need of time off work?Very interested to here these testimonies.Thanks for sharing.God bless.
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've had to leave work because of the brain fog. Similar to what naturebaby told you about her work, my work also involves a lot of writing and dealing with staff. I'm finding more and more that I'm making mistakes and wonder if I might even becoming dyslexic as words are typed backwards. However, the fatigue is really the killer for me.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

brain fog and fatigue keep me from working. Part of the problem was that the extreme fatigue from working 40+ hours a week was making the brain fog even worse. Now that I sleep more and do less, the brain fog isn't quite so bad (but then again, it isn't so good either).
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

I'm currently a student and I've had to cut back on my classes because of brainfog. I used to be able to handle all those papers and tests right on top of each other, now I can barely finish a three page paper. I'm lucky that my school has been very understanding about my condition. They even excused me from my language requirement. Imagine trying to learn a new language when your brain is working (or not working) like mine. I'm graduating in May and I'm terrified about trying to find a job. I'm starting off my career with a disability. I feel like I shouldn't even bother.
  5. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Kalaya,

I was in a very demanding and competetive graduate program and managing an architectural firm, both of which I had to give up do to my complete mental block. It literally became embarassing. My boss would accuse me of not following through on something and I would swear I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, then he would show me a letter with my signature. It was like I had never seen it in my life, and had no reccollection of having written it. It was quite scary. I would miss deadlines at school and it became increasing difficult to concentrate. The brain fog is definitely my biggest complaint. I feel like I could deal with being in pain and tired all the time as long as my mind was still sharp.

I have also noticed that many people I've interacted with that have been diagnosed with CFS/FM are very intelligent. And also, a funny side note, almost all the posts have a few mis-spellings. We're all in a fog ;)

-GoAskAlice
  6. ImDigNiT

ImDigNiT New Member

Last Nov. I went on short term disablity and trying to collect on my companies long term disability.

I was a Staffing Manager of five offices in North and Central Florida and South GA. I had been sick for a very long time but finally went on disability because I felt I was no longer capable managing 300 to 400 people. I also had to write and present proposals and I knew that I just could not do it any longer.

I finally went to the FFC and Denver (They are wonderful). My daughter lives there and I knew I could stay with her as long as needed (1 1/2 months).

I found out there I had numerous viruses and bacteria as well as being diagnosed with Lyme disease. Most people here in Florida have to go out of state for treatment for Lyme but there is a new infectious disease practice here for which I am tring to get a referal. I have high hopes I can get treatment here, but if not I will probably have to go to the FFC in Atlanta. Problem is that it is terribly expensive and since our income has been cut by more than half I don't know how I can do it, plus the drive twice weekly.

There is no way I could work at this point.

Peaceful mind and body to all!

Marcia
  7. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

LittleBluestem you hit it right on the mark. If I nap more it is way better. Soon as start to feel the brain fog coming on I have a nap then I'm all right. If I try to push it then my whole day or maybe the whole week is shot and I crash, depends on how hard I push it.

When I was working I was so tired I would just get out of my truck when it was in gear with out putting the emergency brake on. A couple of time I had to chase my truck down the road. LOL