Anyone on a gluten free diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by k5334, Jul 8, 2008.

1. k5334

k5334 New Member

I've been diagnosed with Fibro not with Celiac Disease but at this point, I'm willing to try anything. I wondered if any of you are on a gluten free diet. I'm going to start the gf diet next week. I need a high fiber diet to help with IBS problems. How do you get ALOT of fiber on a gluten free diet?
  2. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi, I put myself on a Gluten Free diet last year after 4 people (friends/ family) suggested I try it.

WOW!!! What a difference it has made on my insides! My IBS symptoms WENT AWAY! severe intestinal gurgling and abdominal pain (previously diagnosed as IBS) vanished!

I then tried eliminating Milk Products too & that got rid of my chronic stomach pain/ Gastritis!

Wish I had done this years ago...Instead, I suffered & took Prevacid for about 8 years. Ugh. I took myself off the Prevacid after going Gluten & Dairy free...I haven't needed it at all anymore. I haven't needed my IBS med either. Amazing.

BTW, unfortunately, the diet change did not improve my FM pain in my muscles. (Lyrica has helped that!)

It is definitely worth a try for you to go Gluten Free. We often are SENSITIVE to Gluten without having the "full-blown"/ test-positive Celiacs. If you feel way better after eliminating Gluten; then you know you have a problem!

For your fiber; you can still eat tons of salads (Look for a GF salad dressing & skip the bread croutons), fruits, veggies, & nuts!

3. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I've been off of gluten for 3 weeks. Feel much better now. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
  4. sascha

sascha Member

with IBS condition- there are different schools of thought on that point. i have IBS and had a nice long stretch relatively problem-free when i was having carbs from vegs and fruits only. well, i did have oatmeal.

except for the oatmeal, which has some gluten, i've been gluten-free for years. i'm now off all flours including of course wheat, sugars (with a few minor lapses), alcohol, caffeine (sometimes green tea/kukicha tea).

i think a very good idea which i got from this Board is to have a stool analysis test and get diagnostic and treatment advice from that. barrowinnovations (has posts on this site you could research) has information on steps she took- lab that did her testing- and doctor she worked with by phone. it makes a lot of sense.

good luck in your quest- Sascha

i know for fibro i've heard a number of times that leaving out carbs can help. also there are supplements you can take that can help with the IBS, but testing would be the first logical step to take so you can know which supplements you really need.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I've been GF for almost 3 years now and it's done wonders for my CFS nuero symptoms.

Many find that gluten is causing their IBS. You may have to look at other foods too though. Common foods that cause problems are gluten, dairy, soy, corn and eggs. Chemicals too of course.

I still have FM pain from time to time too and I'm on the Paleo diet (no grains just meats, fruits and veggies).

Some have said that enzymes have helped with this. The only one I can remember right now is Serrapeptase.

HTH ... Marcia
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

for maybe 6 years
    much better for my digesion, weight etc
    never going back
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

About six months now, still not sure how much it's helped.

Less Fibro fog,

I was tested and came up gluten intolerant, but not Celiac.

Also cut out dairy, accept for dark chocolate.

I no longer have those weird metalic tasting burps.

Fiber, i use ground flax seed every morning in my shake i make. Keeps me regular, and is great for my hair.

Gluten free rice milk (not all of them are)
    Frozen strawberries,
    fresh ground flax seed (1T)
    1t. flax oil
    1T. gluten free rice protein powder (Jarrow's Formula)
    small amount of stevia to sweeten

I mix things up sometimes so i don't get bored,
    like using two frozen banana's and 1T hersheys coco powder,
    or adding pineapple to the strawberry banana one.
    using blue berries,
    you get the picture! Creative so i don't feel deprived