anyone on Amitryptiline

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Apr 5, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

I have decided after the terrible night last night I am going to give them another go I have developed Myofacial pain with terrible terrible Tinnitus which has been waking me up in the mornings full on there are a lot of side effects with this tablet like blurred vision and weight gain however if I can get my sleep perhaps I can deal with the rest.

Clertyx
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

and did have a few problems with that dose I have just taken a half tablet there so I will see I put on about 2 stone a few years ago with it you are righ about a sweet tooth.

Clertyx
  3. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

When I was dx I started with 10 mg.
    As the years went on I had to keep raising the amount and am now on 150mg.
    I know that's a huge amount, but I was trying to stop the breakthru lower level of sleep and this works for me.
    I feel so much better getting a full night's sleep - before this med, I never slept a full night in my life.

Over the years I've gained 35 pounds, and I hate that. But when I weigh the pros and cons, I wouldn't give it up. I'd rather be fat and rested, than thin and miserable.

Good luck with your decision. Hope you start feeling better soon.
    ...Bobbi
  4. Ginner

Ginner New Member

This is good information. I may have to ask my dr. about this as I am not doing good at all.
    Thank you
    Ginner
  5. ive been taking a 50 mg amitripyline tablet at 7pm,for many years now.

i have to take it at that time,as thats roughly when i get home from my part time job as a school cleaner.

it has reduced my migraine attack severity.i hardly get them now.and i never have the vomiting anymore,that i used to get along with the migraine attack.

i do have a sore throat all of the time.its very red in there,but it was sore and red before i ever took the amitripyline,so id say my illness is causing the throat problems,not the amitripyline.

i just have to stay on my amitripyline as its making the buttock pain bareable at least.

when i used to come off amitripyline,or just forget to take it.then the buttock pain came back,and quite simply..it prevented me from being able to walk.

i stopped taking amitripyline,by myself (not on doctors orders) as i was feeling in control.but goodness me,i had the crash from hell.total body shut down as regards i couldnt move a muscle.

ill never stop taking amitripyline again,as while im using it,,i can use my legs,limbs.

i still get the odd day when i get bad flares,but i work part time and the flares come and go.but i like my job,and thank goodness the flares dont happen while im at work.they happen more when im home and sitting or laying down.

kind regards

fran
  6. clerty

clerty New Member

I took half of my 25mg tablet last night and I got a great sleep but it have made my face pain worse this morning
    not sure what to do I always found it seemes to make my headaches worse that better anyway at least I am thinking clear this morning

Clertyx

7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Clertyx ... this med is not for everyone but it was nearly a miracle med for me .. the way I found out how much it did was a shock .. I had been on it almost 3 years when I wanted to try and work with a Rhuemy I saw in the beginning, to cut back on my meds .. I was on about 100 or 75 mgs at night at the time .. he wanted me to go to 25 mgs in a period of 2 or 3 weeks ... the pain became incrediable when I went down to that dose ..

Since then I stick with my wonderful GP doctor, and have gone back to 75mgs at night but have also had to add Lyrica for the nueropathic pain in my feet and hands.
    BUT ... my quality of life is much better with pain under control .. and that is what you have to balance out .. is your life so miserable you feel what is the use ? .. added pouns or not .. what benefits are best for you ?

Amitriptilyne takes time to work in your specific biochemistry .. be aware of not tossing it in too quickly before it truly WORKS for YOU !

Best of Luck
    Joy : )
  8. My sister in law swears by it. She said she sleeps so good. I mentioned it to my dr. and he said no. Meantime I have been awake every night at 2 am or 4 am. Grrr!
  9. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

I'm on 10mg with no side effects. I sleep more deeply and it takes the edge of the fibro pain a little.
  10. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

before it I never slept oh I went to bed and was unconcious but i woke up tired and feelin terrible now with it I feel much better. been on it 3 years now and notice when I forget to take it.

It also helps with the terrible anxiety attacks I used to have.

I am on 75 mg at night at makes me sleepy at night so I can go to bed and sleep.

weight gain here also but if I have a choice of weight gain or headaches no sleep etc. I will take the weight gain any day.

hope it works for you.
    Brenda
  11. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I also have myofascial pain and TMJ. My neurologist prescribed Elavel (Amitryptiline) for my headaches as well.

Although this drug worked somewhat, the weight gain was unacceptable, and I also had very bad blurred vision to the point where I couldn't even wear my contacts anymore.

I was on the lowest does of only 10 milligrams and I still had these nasty side effects. The increased appetite didn't go away until I was off the drug completely.

I still have myofascial pain but have tried many other options instead of the Elavil. Be careful with this drug. Hopefully, you won't have as many or bad side effects as I did. I use cold compresses on my jaw, which has the worst pain, also I take magnesium with malic acid, stretching, very hot showers. I still suffer, but at least I do not have the additional problems with side effects. Be careful with this drug and hopefully it will work for you. Hugs, Chelz.
  12. natesmommie1

natesmommie1 New Member

I take amitryptine 100mgs,at night
    Bernadette
  13. serenety

serenety New Member

I`m on 150mg at night along with Cipralex 10mg for depression & i sleep like a log no side affects at all.
  14. 6cats

6cats New Member

Oh wait I was thinking of tetracicline...DUH okay yes I am on elavil as well...for sleep and it does help, I seem to sleep pretty soundly with it.
  15. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I was on it for 5 years I hated the "thick" feeling they gave me the thirst, the weight gain so I stopped them my dr said I was on them for pain I do have more cramps and more pain without them but i have lost 3 kilos in 6 weeks so i would rather have a bit more pain(whats a bit more pain anyway ) I am not sleeping as well either.
    I feel more in control now I am not sorry i stopped them now I just have to confess when i go to DR next