Anyone on Biacillin Injections

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by HppeandMe, Jun 12, 2006.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi Friends-

Is anyone here on on Biacillin Injections? I am not sure if I spelled Biacillian correctly.

If so, how is it working for you?

How long have you been on the injections?

Does it hurt? Not that it matters as I would do anything not to be sick anymore!!

Hope
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I had a fellow lyme friend that spent extensive time going back into the archives of Lymenet looking for what treatment was helping people the most. Looking for those that stopped posting over the years. The number one thing was bicillin. They were on it for long periods some as long as 1 1/2 years but that was what pulled them thru.

So if you start it don't look at it as a short term deal.
    I know Dr. B says it can be just as powerful as IV abx.

jar
  3. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Good to know Jarjar!!

Please keep me posted on your progress and I will keep you posted on mine!
  4. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Hello,

My son is on week 3 of the injections. He gets 1.2 million units 2 times a week. He does become very ill the day after the injections. A good thing but hard to take. He has neuropsych Lyme and it has already helped his psych symptoms.

He has a cream to numb the area of the injection. He finds it works best if he puts the cream on about 90 minutes beforehand. So far he has no problems with the injection itself.

There is a shortage of Bicillin in the country. I just hope we can continue to find it.

Fell free to ask me any other questions.
  5. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Does your doc allow you to take shots at home? I know many people that give it at home but my doc is worried about having an allergic reaction and wants me to take it in a Dr/s office.

Which just adds to the expense and hassle. I have read on lymenet where someone puts a lidocane patch over shot area for about 20 miin prior to injection then afterwards puts ice pack on injection site. Don't take my word on it but to the best of my memory that was what it said. It is in the archives.

Just out of curiousity do you have insurance and have to pay a copay for bicillin? I haven't even filled my script yet. I have been told you can buy it in Mexico for 4.00 a shot.

jay
  6. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Yes, I give the shots to my son at home. We use the lidocaine. Just a dab and cover with saran wrap for 60 - 90 minutes.

Insurance first denied the shots but my son's employer got it covered.
  7. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Thanks Redsox 10. I am glad to know that there is a way to avoid the pain although I have given myself injections of something in the rear before but my doctor says I will also have to give the Biacillan in the stomach.

Please keep us posted on your son!!

Jarjar- My insurance will cover it as well. Although I still have a % I will have to pay. We just got new prescription coverage which is not as good so I will soon find out how much I will be paying.

Many Hugs to you both-
    Hope
  8. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Keep me posted. I need to have my pharmacist look at what my doc wrote and see if it can be filled or if it can only be taken thru a docs office.

jay
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  9. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

hppeandme,

Did I read that right? Bicillinin the stomach? It should be given IM.
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

it should be given IM.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  11. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I noticed where you can get lidocane cream over the counter is that strong enough or do you have a script?
  12. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Hi folks! Some of you may remember me from the fibro board -- I pretty much left this site after finding out I have lyme, but checked in today and I see there is a lyme board here now... how nice!

I've been on Bicillin LA for about 4 months now, 2x/week. I do the shots myself, in the hip/rear area. They DO need to be done in deep muscle to be effective.

I don't numb the area, but I do warm the injection up to room temperature before injecting -- that helps. The muscles get sore from the injection, but it is nothing compared to Lyme pain, trust me. Just do the needle insertion quickly and you barely feel it.

Bicillin really turned a corner for me in terms of feeling much better, and I want to stay on it for as long as possible. I have to order mine well in advance to get it filled due to the shortage -- thankfully we have a pharmacy that deals with a lot of the local LLMD's patients, and is very aggressive about pre-ordering the injectables.
  13. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I went a new LLMD b/c he is closer to my home. I was excited to find an LLMD close to my home and I heard that people were getting better results from him than anyone they had seen before. In fact, the lady who referred me cleaned her house herself for the first time in 7 years after 3 months of treatment with him.

Why am I angry? He said he is not finding Biacillan Injections to be effective. He wrote me a RX for two antibiotics and something that he is finding that helps the antibiotics to be even stronger. It is actually a blood pressure medication that begins with an A.Perhaps you guys know what it is. In any case they are putting me on a small dosage of that so that my blood pressure doesn't fall as it is only 120/70 now.

I was really excited about getting the Biacillan injections. I had my mind all set on it. My old LLMD was recommending it as my next step. I went to the Hope to heal Lyme conference and in the booklet they gave out is said that Burrascano recommends it but he also recommends taking it with another antibiotic to be effective.

Anyway, I am just looking for some advice. I wish there was somebody here who has been on the mnedication for a while to see if they are getting good results. Should I stay with this physician who is close to my home recommending something different or should I go back to my last LLMD who is further away?

This new physician did do something smart though that no one else has done. Every other doctor ordered a regular Western Blot for the North East. Did you know there were 3? I sure didn't. There is one for the North East, one for the West, and one for the Midwest. I had never come up positive for the Lyme tests only co-infections the IGG's. He said it is hard to have two co-infections without Lyme. I was exposed to Texas ticks, not Maryland ticks (where I live). I have told every doctor this but nobody gave me this new test. He said it may come out negative though because I am so depleted that I may not have enough antibodies because I am so sick and have had it for so long. He said sometimes you will get the positive when you are better.

One other thing he said that was interesting was that he believes that 95% of people diagnosed with CFS or Fibromyalgia are Lyme patients. I agree with him especially on the CFS part as the symptoms are identical. In fact, I have asked several doctors how can you tell if it is CFS or Lyme and they always say if you have a negative Lyme test than it is CFS. The LLMD's usually don't know how to answer.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I am on Provigil today and seem to crazy with e-mail when I am on it. Although I am tired so I don't get it.

Many Hugs!
    Hope

14. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Welcome back! What doseage does G have you taking for each injection.? Did you start out with one per week and work up to two?

Thanks

jar
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2006]
  15. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Hi again --

First question -- my dosage for Bicillin is 1,200,000 units 2 times a week. I did start with one injection, and worked up to two. Some docs go even higher than that.

Answers to angry --

Hmm-- I don't want to disagree at all with the advice of your LLMD since I am clearly NOT a doctor, but I'll post what I know about Bicillin. I know my NP has had pretty good success with Bicillin LA and a lot of folks on the boards have, too -- but I don't think Bicillin alone is enough, though.... from what I understand, Bicillin kills only the active spirochetal form of lyme (not the L-form or the cysts) -- I started to feel better once I was on it -- really quite a bit better, then I plateaued -- that is when my NP decided to add in the Ketek (which targets the L-form, and also seems to help with babesia treatment, too.)

From what I understand, you really need to take a combination of drugs that target all forms of the spirochete -- that is why so many of us take so many drugs at once. There are also some LLMDs out there who swear by the diflucan/penecillin combo -- though not much research has been done on this, the early results look promising.

A lot of LLMDs prescribe Bicillin with one of the Macrolide antibiotics -- Ketek is one, there are others (biaxin comes to mind). A lot of folks are wary of taking Ketek because of the liver-toxicity issue -- and that is certainly a valid worry.

I'm sure there are many other abx that are also very effective against Lyme -- part of why I like the injectable form so much is that it saves my GI tract... orals tend to do a number on that! (That said, actually I have had very few GI problems with Ketek.) What were you prescribed to begin with????

As far as testing... yes, I had a CDC positive western blot from IgeneX (positive on 9 bands!) I tested neg. for co-infections, but I am pretty sure I have babesia anyway since the treatment has done wonders for me. If the test wasn't so expensive, I'd get retested --- but results are what matter in this case.
  16. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Wow 9 bands! It truly makes me wonder why some of us that have had it for so long have positives and others have negatives.

Anyway, I have been on several antibiotics and now that I have been off of them for over a month I feel awful! I have been on Biaxin, Ceftin, Rocephin (I had a picc line) for two months, and I can't remember the others.

I wish I would have stayed on the other antibiotics until I got on some more.

I just don't know what to do about these doctors. I have such a hard time making decisions. I always need input. I wish I could make my own decisions. The only time I can is at work. I am so tired these days and all of my sleep meds have worn off that I can't even make decisions at work.

Thanks so much for your help!
  17. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Part of why I love my LLNP so much is that she lets me make the final call on treatment -- she presents the options to me, but lets me decide which way I want to go. I've opted for a pretty aggressive approach, and I plan to be on abx for quite a while -- I don't want a relapse!

I hope you get the treatment you need and that will make you feel better. There are a lot of strong, good drugs out there that are very effective against lyme -- but no one drug kills all the forms, to my knowledge.