Anyone on calcitonin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Aug 26, 2010.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I think that my daily dose of calcitonin (for osteoporosis) is making my fibromyalgia worse. Does anyone else have a problem with calcitonin? I take it as a nasal spray. I am in a huge flare at the moment, and wonder if this is because the pharmacist gave me a new brand of the spray the last time I filled my prescription. I am temporarily stopping my daily dose to see if things improve. I can't do anything given my pain right now!
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Klarry, I have a few thoughts however please know up front I have not taken calcitonin spray.

Your body needs calcium for "operating" -- are you getting enough dietary calcium for both the calcitonin storage operation as well as daily ops? If you decide to take supps, be sure to find a type of calcium that is bio-available & free of heavy metal contam.

The increased calcitonin may also be making demands on your vitamin D stores -- be sure to replenish with regular sun exposure or supps if you are borderline/deficient.

I would also make sure I was getting the RDA for magnesium (400 mg/day -- most of us are deficient ) -- which is helpful for both the myalgia and for building bone. And I would want to be sure that my thyroid function was optimal, since many meds do in some way stress thyroid function.

If you did well with a previous brand of calcitonin, you might ck to see whether the 2 meds were similar concentration & dose. It's also possible that a change in the inactive ingredients of the spray is responsible for your flare.

Best wishes.
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

Thanks for the tips. I am on thyroid replacement because I have Hashimoto's. And I am getting 2000 units of Vitamin D and appropriate levels of calcium per my doctor's recommendation, but I am not taking a magnesium supplement. I used to take magnesium. I'll reintroduce it to my supplement routine. Thanks.