Anyone on CSRS disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Dec 22, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

My DP went on CSRS 10 years ago at age 48. She'll be 59 in Feb.

What happens next? Does she automatically get put on permanent disability or regular retirement at a certain age?

Can she elect to get the Soc Sec benefits early because she's disabled? (She was not eligible for S.S. Disability, just worked early in her life under S.S.)

Should she contacting them regarding this because a certain age is nearing?

She's in a severe relapse of CFS, FM, and costochondritis and unable to even think of calling anyone or trying to handle her own affairs. I am worried that she should be doing something and a timeframe will pass to finalize her situation.

I want to be able to help her do the right thing at the right time, but I know nothing of the civil service system. She also worked for the Commissary for her 16 years, and they seem to handle things differently.

Anyone know where I should start?

Thanks all!
    findmind
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

First, my condolences on the loss of your husband, I am so sorry.

Thanks for the information about the union, I'll see if there's one around here. Yes, she has her SS quarters in and they send her benefits reports.

My major concern is that she could be put on permanent retirement without her knowing her options and someway losing out on future benefits.

It isn't ss I'm concerned about; it's the CSRS. I don't know their rules and she went on disability and no one has ever checked on her since.

We live far away from a base now, so maybe I'll just have to lead her to the phone to make some phone calls; she is very cognitively impaired, so I'll have to be handy to help her ask the right questions I suppose.

Thanks again dear person...
    findmind
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

In case there are more of you out there, with CFS and/or FM and on CSRS (not FERS) disability....

bump?

findmind
  4. labrat

labrat New Member

Hi,
    OPM has an excellent website that might give you some information. Just type in OPM and go to the retirement section. I'm on FERS disability, so can't give any specifics about CSRS. But with FERS it says at retirement age, the disability annuity ends and is converted to regular retirement annuity. Hope the website helps you.

Tracy
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Thanks for the info. We both spent about 5 hrs on the website, lol! We got so confused, even emailed them our question (just to change our address!), and they sent her back a "request number", which we thought was a PIN number.

Hours later we finally got someone on the phone who changed her address and explained some of our concerns.

She'll probably get a PIN number email tomorrow...or next year, they seem to be so busy!

Thanks so much, once again, for taking the energy to answer. It's appreciated.

findmind
  6. Radar1

Radar1 New Member

I never thought about disability retirement until now. I am 51 with 33 years of federal service. 7 years in the Air Force and 26 years of CSRS time. I am GS-13. I developed FMS, high cholesterol and peripheral neuropathy about 2.5 years ago. 6 months ago I asked for reasonable accomodation to allow me to change jobs within the same area. The position I went into was Monday to Friday 8 hours. The position I was in was a Tech Support position that required me to travel all over the Pacific Northwest and work irregular and long hours.

Does it make sense for me to go for disability retirement? Wouldn't I lose alot of retirement pay?

The way I read the regs it looks like I would end up with 40% of my current pay. With regular retirement it would be much more.

Help would be appreciated.
    Radar
  7. cats3

cats3 New Member

Definitely go to OPM retirement services web site.

They have a publication on CSRS retirement and there is a topic on becoming disabled.

I retired on CSRS disability in 2005 at the age of 54 with 27 years.

Radar1--
    Regular retirement -- the earliest a person can retire is age 55 with 30 years of service.