Anyone on Flexeril?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie65, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

I was wondering if anyone here has tried Flexeril...I have been on it for about three months and it seemed to help, but now it isn't working as well as the first month or so. Anyone else experience this?
    I am on 3 (10mg)tablets at bedtime and three tablets spaced throughout the day. Thanks :) Jackie
  2. MDS114

MDS114 New Member

I took Flexeril for a couple weeks. I only took 10 mg a day.
    But just couldn't stay awake! Talk about a zombie! The dr wanted me to take 20 mg a day...I just couldn't do it. I don't really remember if it helped with my pain, I was just fighting to stay alert!

As far as it not working as well as at 1st...I think a lot of drugs are like that...your body gets used to the medication & doesn't help as much.

Good luck!
  3. Hairymel

Hairymel New Member

I was given Flexeril as a second script to help fight the spasms.(After sklexia(?) which did nothing as well.) It didn't do a thing...not even drowsy from it. my Dr. switched me to zanaflex...when taken with some valium I do get relief. Not always...only if I catch them before they really lock up.

Good luck!
    Hairymel
  4. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

I have had this experience with several medications such as: Nuerontin, flexeril, loratab, vicodin, zanaflex, tramadol, etc. They all seem to work well for a while, then not so good. The Dr recommended I take them even when I don't feel I need them. Sorry to say, I tried to change the rules (I don't recommend trying it!!). After experiencing the decreasing effectiveness, I quit taking my meds regularly. Sometimes when I needed them to work I couldn't get ahead of the pain. It is frustrating, but I found I have to switch up every few months. I was so disappointed when flexeril quit working, but tried it again after one year and it is currently working for me ( I only use it during a flare, otherwise I take zanaflex on a regular basis). EVERYTHING WORKS DIFFERENTLY FOR EVERYONE. That seems to be the rules. I don't have any suggestions, just hope.

Johnna
  5. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I have been on flexeril for many years. I just recently went from 1 10mg at bedtime to 2 10 mg at bedtime. Once in a great while I will take one during the day, but only if I intend to be napping. It has taken me years to go to the 20mg at bedtime, and I wonder if you are taking too much? I did not even think that you could take that much? What is the max dose per day? Maybe you need to alternate with soma or another muscle relaxer?

Ingrid
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have been on Flexiril for years but about 1 1/2 years ago my Rheumy changed how I take it. I take one in the morning, one around 1:00 in the afternoon and then 2 before bed. I started out with about 1/2 in the morning for a week or so and now I have no snoozy problems.

His theory is that we need the muscle relaxtion while we are awake and working more then at night sleeping. He added Elavil at the same time and I take 75 mgs at night with the Flexiril. The two together control a lot of my pain and help me sleep through the night.

Everyone is different how they react to meds, but I know my doc has told me that these two meds really work well for a lot of his patients but I see a lot of people who can't take either/both.

7. vafmschick

vafmschick New Member

Flexeril made me wake up feeling drunk. I even took half of a 10mg pill each night! I have switched to nortriptoline which seems to do better for me.
  8. featherme

featherme New Member

How do you stay awake! I started out 20 yrs. ago with .5 mg and worked my way to 20 mg. at night. I stopped when I started taking lunesta for sleep. I needed a muscle relaxant for my back and tried flexeril and found I had developed an allergy to it. I now use parafon forte for a muscle relaxant and lyrica for pain.

There are other choices for you and I surely would talk to my doctor about replacing it.

feather me
  9. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

My doctor wants me to take 30mg a day but I can’t because it makes me tired. When I take it at night, it puts me into a coma, I can’t get up the next morning & I feel groggy the next day even if I take less of what is prescribed.

I stopped taking it because it wasn’t helping me anyway.
  10. California31

California31 New Member

Even in small...small dose.