Anyone on here smoke or have some drinks sometimes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, May 31, 2003.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

Just wanted to know. I quit smoking for over a year, and now I've started again. I think it's just because I'm so mad about my situation. Also, I have a drink now and then. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if it makes you feel worse by doing it. sometimes it does and then sometimes it doesn't with me. I think sometimes it wouldn't make a difference what the heck I do, I'll still feel awful.
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I currently smoke and have maybe 6 drinks a year. I have been a non-smoker at different times - up to 5 years once and didn't really notice any difference.

I'm like you, what the heck!
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I used to smoke everyday and drank on maybe 2 occasions a month. I can no longer drink any alcohol because I take narcotic pain medicine.
    I wish I could have a nice cold beer once in awhile.

I don't feel any better not doing either one.
    One thing I want you to think about . Do you want to be hooked up to an oxygen tank, barely able to breathe and having to drag it around with you?
    I worked 7 years with the elderly and this was what I saw and it was terrible. That is what made me quit.

I understand when you have this DD the anxiety and misery might make you want to do those things but at least please don't smoke and don't mix alcohol with medicine that you should not. You might end up in worse shape with liver damage or something. Some medicine it is OK to drink a little with. You can check it out on the info that comes with your RX.

I wish I could sit down with you have a smoke and a beer but I can't :)
    Take care
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have been trying hard to stay aware of how things affect me.But, I have to say that drinking hasn't seemed to have a big effect. I have had periods of up to a month without having any alcohol..and I have had weeks where I have had one or two drinks on several different nights. I really haven't noticed any increase or decrease in symptoms at all...And sometimes, if I am lucky, during and after that second drink, I actually can forget for while that I have this darn FMS at all! As for the smoking...well, that is just bad for you...I have smoked plenty in the past...don't anymore, and I know I am better off without it!
  5. vinetti23

vinetti23 New Member

Even if I don't take Neurontin or Klonopin (which I take nightly before bed) I still have a hard time if I drink. I end up with racing thoughts and my sleep for the next night is very disturbed. This happens even with a little alcohol. It seems I am even more sensitive as time has gone on. I sometimes also get a really bad migraine.

I will add that in general, my family does not drink. It's kind of a genetic thing - we don't really get that alcohol buzz. We just get sick. Same goes for cigarettes. I get no buzz from them.

6. tansy

tansy New Member

because intially it seemed to make me function better. Unfortunately a few hours later I would feel very unwell.

I do know others with CFS who drink quite often, they too find that somedays it's good and on others they wish they hadn't.

Cheers

Tansy
  7. yama

yama New Member

cfs/me has made Alcohol Intolerant 2 glasses of white wine at christmas with dinner and I missed the rest of the evening to wake up feeling terrible next day. I had of course not taken any pain meds etc to try to celebrate the xmas toast but will never do it again I stopped drinking over 9 years ago as the number of meds I am on increased but mostly because of how bad I was feeling with very small amounts I do smoke at present, I think it helps a wee bit with stress, never started smoking until I was 23yrs, I have stopped a few times but seem to suffer more from anxiety
  8. Myth

Myth New Member

I smoke. My health is already in the crapper so I don't see what difference it makes. I rarely drink because it makes me feel really bad the next day; a whole lot of pain plus sometimes it aggravates my chest pain problem. Smoking is the one bad habit I have and it is not as though I am going to run a marathon any time soon. besides FMS is stressful and fustrating.
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

and would give anything if I could just quit them. I have tried so many times than I can't count them anymore. As far as drinking, I love the taste of beer, but because of all the medications I haven't had any alcohol for the last 3 or 4 years. I would love to just be able to sit down and have one ice cold beer but I can't do it with the narcotics I take.

Dara
  10. AC77

AC77 New Member

I used to smoke a few years ago and quit. Not to bad for me.
    I drink maybe twice a week. Mostly a beer drinker. Big fan of Ales and dark beers....And sometimes like a glass of good wine with dinner. that's it.

But back in college days, man, did we overdo it with EVERYTHING. Typical generation 0 kids. Not good, and wouldn't do it again. But I know most of you have been there to. Most of us grow out if it. Glad I did :)
  11. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

would sure enjoy a nice glass of champagne or wine sometimes only my body will not tolerate it since becoming ill with this dd.

I am greatly bothered by cigarette smoke, in fact. Yet I have a friend who has been on disability for CFIDS or whatever for 15 years and she smokes like a furnace. Go figure. It doesn't seem to bother her at all but it bothers me.

I have tried a sip of champagne here and there and it doesn't work with whatever is wrong with my body now.

Pam
  12. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

I gave up smoking the 13th june last year. I still want to smoke but darent start because i know if i did i would never be able to give it up again as it caused so much stress to my body and mind i think it tributed to my lasted relapse. Since stopping i noticed here in the uk they have put in big words, SMOKING KILLS across the packet. I think that is not needed. All smokers know it kills, they dont need to be reminded of that everytime they would reach for a fag.

As for drink, no cant because of anti-depressant medicine i take at night. I would love to just forget all my worries and go out and get drunk. Not had a drink in 3 years now.

shazzy

13. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I've smoked since I was 13 and have given it up every year for about the past 5 years ... each time making it a little further, but so far I've always caved back in. The one thing (and I think I've tried them all) that kept me smoke free the longest was the catapres patch, but I developed a sensitivity to the adheasive on the patch. Next round (scheduled to quit on August 30) I think I'll try catapres again in pill form. But, it's hard to give up when you thoroughly enjoy it! To me, it's a battle between intellect and emotion ... hahaha ... no wonder I cave in as I feel like a basket case half the time.

I still like to have an occassional glass or two of wine. For some strange reason, red wine seems to make me feel better. With all the talk of grape seed extract here, I wonder if there isn't some connection. I don't take any narcotic meds, so when I'm really hurting a couple glasses of wine helps me. I cannot tolerate any liquor except a small amount of vodka ... nothing brown (and I like whiskey <sigh>). I avoid beer because there is so much yeast in it.

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!
    Hayley
  14. athome

athome New Member

LEARNED TO SMOKE "SOCIALLY" BUT DON'T EVER NOW. PROBABLY HAVE HAD 30 CIGARETTES IN MY LIFETIME. COULD ALWAYS TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. AM VERY VERY SENSITIVE TO SECOND HAND SMOKE.

I ALLOW MYSELF BOURBON WITH 7-UP ANYTIME I FEEL LIKE IT. ONE RELAXES ME AND SEEMS TO HELP WITH SLEEPING. TWO WILL MAKE ME HYPERALERT THO.

FAMILY ALWAYS HAD ALCOHOL AROUND, SO I LEARNED WHAT I COULD HANDLE. ONLY "DRUNK" TWICE IN LIFE--ONCE AFTER A BIG FAMIY PARTY AND ONCE WHEN FRIEND DOSED ME LIBERALLY W/ALCOHOL AFTER VERY LONG AND PAINFUL DENTIST'S APPOINTMENT.

GRANPA ALWAYS HAD BOURBON ON HAND, AND MY BEST INITIAL DOSE FOR COLD OR FLU, HAS BEEN A HOT TODDY WITH POWDERED VITAMIN C AND FRESH LEMON JUICE ADDED TO BORBON AND HOT WATER.
    I DRINK THAT IN BED, COVER UP WELL AND PRACTICALLY SLIDE OUT DUE TO SWEATING, BUT IT REALLY HELPS.

CHEERS! <:)) NANA

15. 2girls

2girls New Member

and certainly NOT proud of it. I am psyching myself up to quit AGAIN. I passed last summer stressed to the max about quitting smoking - I was convinced I had cancer (so much pain) and would smoke one week, quit the next. I truly feel smoking contributes to this DD, so I must give it another go, hopefully for good. Used to love a few beer now and again but I guess my taste has changed. The smell alone turns my stomache.

2girls
  16. chknmama

chknmama New Member

I don't drink as I always feel like $^*^ afterwards and because of all the meds I'm on.I'm glad you brought this subject up as I was curious also.I smoke also and have for a long time.I know there are lots who oppose it,but I figure its my life...right??

[ advertisement ]