Anyone on Medrol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by najerry, Dec 2, 2005.

1. najerry

najerry New Member

Went to a new rheumy about a month ago. She did all the blood work and xrays. Of course all was fine!!!!! However she agreed that the latest pain( in wrists and arms was different from the regular fms that I have had for 20 some on years. Even tho my blood tests were not high fir inflamation obviously had some inflamation, finally she put me on Medrol 4mg. 2x a day for 2 weeks, then one a day then one every other day. Immediately I had relief! But as soona s I went on every other day, I felt the aches return. I called today and she said to go back to on e pill a day. So far so good. I could even go to a party tonite and dance.....haven't felt this good in years. Of course I'm also unemployed for now,too.
    If my wonderful husband didn't have to work tomorrow..I could have dance all nite.( of course in s. Fl the weather has beeb about 55 tonite) Let you know how I feel tomorrow!

Has anyone else been put on low doses of prenisone?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

for najerry.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...it seems that you must've had a fairly high degree of inflammation if you found such a great amount of relief from the prednisone! It really is a great reliever of inflammation, so it DOES seem that this is more than the usual FM pain you were used to, and is responding to the Medrol.

I've taken the Medrol "dosepaks" in the past---a gradually decreasing dose of prednisone that only lasts a week, mainly for severely inflamed sinuses, and they were excellent at reducing my swollen sinuses, but I only used it for a short time.

I know long-term prednisone usage carries risks, however I also know someone who has been on it for 20+ years for lupus, at varying doses over the years, and certainly for her, it's a quality of life issue---she'd be worse off without it, so even though it has risks, her doctor has her on it. But they are always trying to cut the dosage down, and have successfully done this over the years.

Hope you do continue to feel better, even after you are done with the Medrol. There are probably others here with more experience with using prednisone for FM or other pain, I know it's been mentioned here before.

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. joysarah

joysarah New Member

from it as well. I had a horrible flare and went to my pain Doc, and she gave me the medrol pack. I was in heaven for about 3 days. I know that means that I have inflammation in my body, but all tests always come back negative. I think sometimes that these test aren't accurate.I appreciate ur info. I am going to ask my pain doc for a low dose like that.
    Good Luck
    Joy
  5. angelstarr

angelstarr New Member

I had been on regular Prednisone 10mg for about 4 years. When I was in a terrible flair she sent me a Medrol pack. *I had used them before for cellulitis etc.

I had such relief when I went back to her I asked if there was a great difference in the meds as the Medrol seemed to help me better at a lower dose... She said they were chemically different and had no problem giving me the Medrol, which the generic name is Methylprednisone.

In the last 6 months I have been able to lower my pain meds and continue on the 4 mg of MEdrol. Just this week I had an appointment and she wants me to try 1/2 a pill....
    I am willing to do this however, I have a rotten sinus infection and cannot take my enbrel this week so I am going to hold off for a week or two.

Hope this information helps someone. I knoe everyone is different.

Hugs
    Cher
  6. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Dr. gives me Medrol injections when pain is really bad, then also puts me on the Medrol "dose pak" It does help for the time i am taking it. Haven't been prescribed to take it any longer lengths of time tho. Nanc