Anyone on Mirapex? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilepepper, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

Hi, I talked to my Dr.about this drug, she prescribed it but was unsure about what dose so she prescribed the lowest. She of course check in to it before she prescribed it. I am really good about being carefull about meds so she listens and is willing to help. But I need to know what doses some of you are taking. This dose is not enough for me but it does help. Hope you can help! thanks guys
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Some people use it for their FM. I have restless leg syndrome and I take it daily. It is a real lifesaver! I take .5 mg at 1:00 p.m. and a full mg. at 9:00 p.m. I sleep well with that dosage. Can't tell you about the FM, though.
  3. over50

over50 New Member

My Dr put me Mirapex yesterday.I am starting out0.1251 at bedtime for a week second week 2at bedtimeand it goes up by one into the eighth week,then he gave me new RX to start the same slow progression.Until I reach 3mg.
    I took this 7 months ago,and I couldnt remember when I was at the Dr,it blew my blood pressure sky high,then my regular Dr gave me another pill for that.And it didnt help.
    Put Mirapex in google and check it out,and you can go to the top of the page and put Mirapex in the Search box. I know there should be info there fro others who have tried it.
    I pray it is safe,and it works.
    Have a Merry Christmas and Healthy and Happy New Year.
    Love,Linda
  4. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

I am taking mirapex for pain in FM. Saw it on the news and read the info in this web site.
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

my rheumy if she isn't sure about what dose and wants to know more about the use of Mirapex. He is the one who has studied it for FM, especially severe FM cases. The dosing is different than for restless legs. His name is Dr. Andrew Holman and his phone number is 425/235-9500. He really is more than willing to talk to others, especially docs, about FM, Mirapex, etc.!
  6. Musica

Musica New Member

Bump for Chilepepper
  7. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

After doing the research for my doc's so I can at least try Mirapex..and giving my nurse practioner Dr. Holman's office number she prescribed it for me..I picked it up yesterday at the pharmacists. She is slowly taking me up on it and according to the instructions of taking it..she will be having me take 8 pills 3 times a day on the last week...maximum dose. Is this a normal dosage? It seems a lot to me. I will be starting it today. Is nausea a big factor? That is about the only adverse reaction that I am worried about..

Thanks,
    Neeter
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My doc didn't know how to prescribe it either so he had me taking it 3 times a day. It made me very sick and I had to quit.

I'm taking requip now with no side effects and it works for the most part, too.
  9. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

Thanks this is really helping, I will give my Doc the info. Right now I am on the lowest dose there is. I am just so trying to feel better. Its been a ruff year for me for some reason. But sounds like it has been for a lot of us. Its nice to hear all the remarks and info on this sight it has helped a great deal.
  10. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

Sorry, brain disfunction! as always. I am on the lowest dose 3 x a day. haven't had any side effects yet. I know it is helping because my pain really starts up when the next dose is due. I also take tramadol, trazadone, and hydrocodone ( I really try not to take this one very often afraid of addiction). But I also take ibuprofen at least 800 4xdaily. I worry about my liver and what I am doing to it. It would seem that there could be something out there that would help so we don't have to take so much stuff!! But I guess trial and error. I wish the Doc's would read this sight, they would see that we are not abunch of people who are looking for drugs, we just want to feel like humans!
  11. maris

maris New Member

Chilepepper,
    I started mirapex about two months ago. I have had FM for about ten years, with the last three years being the worst due to a car accident.

I wanted to try mirapex because I heard it helped with leg pain, the most painful area for me.

My Doctor started me with two .25 mg tablets for three days, and then would add a tablet for another three days until I was taking eight .25 mg tablets to equal 200 mgs.

I have to tell you that every time the medication increased I would go into a flare and become very nauseous.

Having tried so many others,I was determinded to make this medication work for me. So I stuck it out, ate crackers, candied ginger, and drank ginger ale for the nausea.

After about a week on the full dose the nausea left me and I noticed that I hadn't had leg pain in a very long time.
    I also lost ten pounds.

I continue to have much less over all pain,hardly any leg pain, more energy, and not much of an appetite.

Mirapex so far is working for me, but I had to go through some bad side effects which eventually went away.

I hope this was helpful.
    Happy New Year!
    Maris
  12. ksc

ksc New Member

I've been on it for over 2 yr. I only take it at night. Dr. David Dryland in Medford, Or has been using it for his patients a number of years with great sucess. You start off low and slowly work your way up. Your Doc can get the protical from him.He has a web site and book out. I'm up to 4.5 mg. when having a bad day. 3 mg. otherwise. I started off at 0.5 at night and worked up to the level I needed using 0.5 to up the dose. It can really bother your stomach as the dose gets higher.I take Prevacid with it. There are also some side effects at first- but worth it once your body gets use to it. I've gone from being almost bed ridden to doing 30 mile endurance rides.
    Yea- it's worth it.
    kathy