Anyone on more than 120 mg of Armour thyroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GigglePoet, Oct 16, 2008.

1. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI,
    After a long drawn out process of working with my GP I am on 120 mg of Armour thyroid but still have 97.2 body temp. I was doing well everytime we added more and then when stopped I have declined. I have horrible Chronic EBV ,CFS, skin and more that this helped with. I want to increase, but there seems to be concern amonst GPs of getting up to high for fear of future problems with heart or bone. At the same time I have seen where someone can be treated up to 180 mg. Just wondered if any of you have any information on this that I can use. The doctor I am seeing now likes people to be at 90 mg..I don't know why that is the magic number but seems to keep coming up. I have cortisol insuffcientcy and I am feeling that when I see the doctor tomorrow he is going to put me on Cortef

Thanks for your help
    GigglePoet
  2. consuegra

consuegra New Member

It sounds as if you are inclined to take more Armour than 120mg. According to John Lowe, 95% of patients on Armour take between 120-240 mg.You can read his site. He would say that you should take Armour to a dosage that brings symptom improvement - and make sure that you take calcium supplements. Lowe is less inclined to use tests for guidance, believing more in symptom improvement.

Do you have elevated TPO antibodies?

Check out stopthethyroidmadness.com and the thyroid message boards on Yahoo. This field is very confusing to the patient and guidance can be helpful- but good guidance is difficult to find, particularly relative to CFS and hypothyroid.

Chris

3. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Friends,
    I can't thank you enough for your response. It really helps me know I am on the right corse. I want to give special thanks to Consuegra for her footnotes on Dr. Lowe. I feel I have been given a gift here to find out about him and all of his wisdom. This gives me a shot of hope and a path to take. Keep the information coming if you think of anything else.

Thanks!
    GigglePoet
  4. maggierose

maggierose New Member

HI,
    THINK I NEED MORE ARMOUR
    I TAKE 75MG IF I TAKE MORE I SEEM TO BECOME HYPER AND CAN'T FOUCUS. I THINK I NEED MORE ARMOUR BUT I START HAVING SYMTOMS. IS THAT NORMAL?

THANKS MAGGIEROSE
  5. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Ok Back from GP. He upped my Armour to 150 from 120. Wow...that is a big increase when my other doctor would only let me go up buy 1/4 tab a month. Well see what happens..but really surprises me that I am to jump up the 20 mg without increaseing first. He said he will not let me go at higher lever if my labs fall below normal values as for the heart bone issue or he said I could find another doctor. He was nice when he said it:p Anyone here taking an adrenal supplement that you like. I think I will do that as well while I am waiting to see if the thyroid makes a difference.

Maggy...check out this site and read..
    " StopTheTyroidMadness.com"