Anyone on Statin drugs for Cholesterol?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 7, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I have been for a week. This was well thought out because I have liver damage (cirrhosis) from an unknown cause and it took a lot of persuasion from my liver doc to take this drug. Diet and supplements didn't help my cholesterol and triglyceride levels and it is said that my problem is an inherited one, so I have to take this med, it would seem. I haven't noticed any adverse effects with the exception a this possibility: my pain is MUCH worse. I looked up the med in the PDR prior to starting it and one of the adverse effects was myalgia, myositis and muscle/joint pain. Now, the pain could be from the rainy weather or I could be in a flare brought on by stress over my husband's recent biopsy, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced increased pain after starting a cholesterol-lowering drug....
    Thanks for all the support! I love you guys!
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I have been for a week. This was well thought out because I have liver damage (cirrhosis) from an unknown cause and it took a lot of persuasion from my liver doc to take this drug. Diet and supplements didn't help my cholesterol and triglyceride levels and it is said that my problem is an inherited one, so I have to take this med, it would seem. I haven't noticed any adverse effects with the exception a this possibility: my pain is MUCH worse. I looked up the med in the PDR prior to starting it and one of the adverse effects was myalgia, myositis and muscle/joint pain. Now, the pain could be from the rainy weather or I could be in a flare brought on by stress over my husband's recent biopsy, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced increased pain after starting a cholesterol-lowering drug....
    Thanks for all the support! I love you guys!
    Kady
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I'm not taking anything for my cholesterol but I need to be. My Dr. said there was no way she would put me on any of the drugs to lower it. I'm trying to lower it through diet. I don't know what to do if this doesn't work. I forgot to mention that I'm also having liver problems and that's why she won't put me on anything. My sister had a massive heart attack 2 years at age 45. That's scary. She had no idea she even had heart problems till it was too late. I also lost a brother in a car accident at age 44 and he had already had 2 heart attacks. I'm 45 now.
    Should I insist she put me on one of these if diet doesn't work? It's scary either way.
    I'm sorry you are having so many problems. Hopefully it's not the drug causing your increased pain.
    Hang in there.

Sapphire
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so sorry for your losses and for you having to be in this predicament. I know how frightening this is for you; my family history is horrible relating to cardiovascular incidents. We have prayed and dieted and questioned and researched this topic and I just HAD to consider this med to reduce my cholesterol and triglyceride levels. My liver doctor really wanted me to do this and that confused me because he KNEW what the drug would do to my already damaged liver. This was HIS idea and he was insistent! I didn't just take his word, though. This had to be my decision. Every night when I take this drug, I can visualize my little liver cells scarring and becoming useless....I just HAVE to turn this around! If the mind is so powerful, this way of thinking can be harmful. I need to start thinking, instead, of my bad cholesterol guys getting shot down by the statin sheriff!!!! lol
    Oh well, at least I still have my sense of humor!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I've been on lipator for years for cholestrol.But when I was dignosied 6 weeks ago with fms my dr. will not put me back on it he had took me off of it weeks before we knew it was fms because my legs were hurting and now he does't want me to take it because he doesn't want to add to the pain. LindaGa P.S. sorry about speeling used to be a good speeler but have lost it due to memory problems
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Lipitor made my FMS much worse and made me dizzy. Welchol and Trichol ruined my stomach. I went on a low-carb diet instead. If you do everything the opposite of what the docs tell you and eat low-carb, high protein, you may be amazed at what you can do to your numbers. My risk ratio was 8.8 and the last time I went on the low carb diet, it went down to 3.6 in two months. No other diet worked, esp. not the high-carb, low fat ones the docs push...that's how I got up to 8.8 in the first place! Most docs still believe that eating cholesterol and fats raises cholesterol, but sugars are the real problem. Insulin resistance from all the processed, highly sugared foods we eat these days raises cholesterol and triglycerides and makes your good cholesterol (HDL) go down. Do a web search for "Syndrome X" and you'll find tons of stuff on this. Also search the previous posts here for more info on this.
    Best of luck,
    Klutzo
  7. stargazer

stargazer New Member

I have been taking Lipitor for about 2 months. Nothing, including a strict vegan diet, would lower my levels. I too have a strong family history. I aha very good results at 20 mg's and have reduced it to 10 mg's. My liver function blood tests are done once a month at my Rheumy's insistence becasue I also have Lupus. So far, I have not noticed any increase or difference in my type or level of pain. Good luck to you.
  8. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I never had aNY TROUBLE WITH THE LIPTOR BUT MY NUMBERS NEVER WENT DOWN WITH IT AFTER 2 years. Is the die you are talking about the Dr Atkins diet? Will all the protien and fats cause fms to worsen? TY LindaGa
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

A vegan diet would not lower your cholesterol if you have any insulin resistance as 50-75% of folks do. It is the very worst thing you can do in that case. I don't like to eat animals either. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 20 yrs. and that is partly why I have such awful lipid numbers now. Foods that raise insulin will also raise cholesterol. Fats and proteins are not these foods! Remember most docs have zero nutritiional training. The Metabolic Typing Diet is not as strict as Adkins unless you turn out to be a "protein type". This diet rates you on several different areas based on the type of nervous system you have and what your particular ancestors evolved on. You don't need to know who your ancestors were as the questions are based on extensive research about the way foods effect people with certain ancestry. It was written by five PhD Nutritionists. You really need to get the book and take the very extensive test to find out (65 questions). People are either Protein, Carbo or Mixed Types. I have always eaten like a total Carbo type, but it turns out I am a Mixed Type leaning towards a Protein Type, which means that the way I am eating is the reason my body is unbalanced and my weight is too high. This diet involves NO calorie, fat or portion measuring or counting. If you eat right for your type you don't need to do that and you don't need to go hungry. I lost 5 lbs. per week for the first 3 wks. and am now losing one per week steadily.
    Let me give you an example of the ideas behind this diet....Eskimos have almost no heart disease, yet they eat fat and meat almost exclusively and are very healthy on it. Imagine taking one of them and making them eat brown rice and steamed veggies at every meal. They would get sick for sure. On the other hand, take an Indonesian, whose ancestors have always eaten brown rice and steamed veggies and make him eat seal meat and whale blubber and watch how sick he gets. In the past century we have gotten the idea that one diet fits all, and it's just not true. The Vegan diet might be very good for that Indonesian I mentioned, but if most of your ancestors came from cold places, you should question the assumption that vegetarianism is always best for everyone. We also think we can create fake, processed foods that the body has never had to deal with through thousands of years of evolution, and not suffer the consequences. At the beginning of the 20th century refined sugar was a rare treat and now it's in everything ,especially low-fat foods! This is a disaster, because not only does sugar cause your good cholesterol to go down and your triglycerides to go up, it also suppresses your immunity, feeds yeasts, raises blood pressure, and increases moodiness through it's effects on insulin. I could go on and on but I'd just be rewriting the book...so please get the book if you're interested.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  10. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

It is very important that you talk to your doctor about CoQ10 if you are taking statin drugs. We had a very dear lady on this board who was taking the statin drug Baycol and she developed congestive heart failure. Baycol has been recalled and the company is in litigation. Supposedly the drug lowers the levels of CoQ10 to very dangerous levels that can cause congestive heart failure. Below is a website that talks about requiring all statin drugs to be taken with CoQ10. Hopefully the powers that be on this board will realize how important this information is and not delete this website address. It is important that you find out the risks from your doctor.
    http://substance.altmedangel.com/statin.htm
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

And for ohmyaching, I AM taking CoQ10 100 mg twice a day~~~~thank God I am FINALLY doing SOMETHING right!!!! lol Yeah, I started this several weeks before starting the statin drug. I HAVE been trying to do my homework about these things. The diet you guys spoke of interests me in regards to our ancestry and stuff. I, too, have done all kinds of diets and I am stuck in a very unhealthy carbohydrate whirlpool right now. Meats turn my stomach and veggies just do NOT interest me in the least. I nearly killed myself on the Atkins diet, but, in Atkins' defense, I wasn't very good at following his diet. I am sure I could've had more of an interesting variety and been more satisfied, but I was just too fatigued to shop, plan, cook, etc. and my husband and I eat out at restaurants a lot and there just aren't any around our little town who prepare nice, healthy foods. I QUICKLY tired of baked fish, hamburger steaks, tuna, eggs....my kidneys acted overtime and my back actually hurt from the constant urination. If I had someone to plan, shop and prepare these meals, I'd be more than happy to try this! I am too busy with my work to come home and do this. Any advice?

Thank you for all of this info!
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2002]