Anyone on Zanaflex for fibro? What were your results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BonnieQ, May 12, 2003.

1. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

My dr is talking of putting me on zanaflex, after he gets my bloodwork/urinalysis and cks it. I just wonder if anyone has gotten good results from it. I did the search and saw alot use it at night time as he did say it makes some people drowsy. But does anyone take it during the day???
    He is a rheumatologist and quite knowledgable, I just hate taking a drug that makes me sleepy during the day, I already am! Anyone?? Thanks.
    Bonnie
  2. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

anyone else??
  3. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

maybe it was too short of a while, I'm not really sure, but I don't seem to get a lot of benefit from muscle relaxers (pain wise) anyway. None of them make me sleepy unless I actually lay down to go to sleep, do you know what I mean? If I take one, I can go about my day without any sleepy side effects, but when I take one at night just before going to bed, it seems to help me sleep better.

Give it a try, it won't hurt and if you do get that sleepy feeling on it during the day, there are other things you can try. Parafon Forte DSC actually has a small dose of caffiene in it, so that may be a daytime option for you - ask you doc about it.

~A
  4. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I haven't really noticed a whole lot of difference since starting Zanaflex (going on 7-8 months). I'm up to 8mgs. I'm sticking with it for now, because its supposed to help lower Substance P levels. I need to get my RX refilled ... haven't had it in a few days, and notice no difference. My thinking is that it is probably a more gradual thing <?>. I did try taking it in the am ... and it did make me groggy with no obvious improvement in pain. Some people say it really helps them.
    Hugs,
    Hayley
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

I take 8 mg at night with 10 mg Elavil for sleep. No way I could take it during the day, it knocks me out, and that's exactly *why* I'm taking it. And I don't take it until I am lying in bed - I made the mistake twice previously of taking it while I was still up and around before bedtime, and when the stuff hit me, I nearly passed out.

Karen
  6. outraged

outraged New Member

Hi Bonnie!

Like alot of medications, they react differently with each individual patient. As for me, Xanaflex did not help me. I took it for several weeks and noticed no difference.
    I hope that it works for you at least at some level.

Best of Luck,

Kim
  7. I have never used it, but am going to ask my dr. about it. I have heard it is supposed to be good for treating fibro.
    F~Butterfly