Anyone on Zoloft or been on it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by piebear, Dec 16, 2005.

1. piebear

piebear New Member

So I started taking Zoloft (50mg) for depression and anxiety last Saturday (took it back in '97 but don't remember much about how I felt). Went through intial side effects like the shakes, drowsiness, etc. And was hyper and super happy for a few days but kinda dropped down to a little depression after that. So not sure what it is doing for my mood, etc. I think my doctor was planning on having me take 100mg but I'm nervous about taking such a high dosage.

I take it during the day and then 125mg trazadone at bed to help me sleep.
    Taking both these drugs seems to be helping me sleep better finally which is nice, but I seem to stay tired during the day no matter how much sleep I get. Tired and fatigued. Of course I'm also starting my period so it could be that too.

Anyway should I take it at night or am I still feeling side effects? Cause I do still feel a little trembly. Not bad but its still there. I kinda thought I'd be over the side effects by now.

I was just wondering how long others took to get over the side effects and if anyone takes it at bed because it makes them tired and if that helps to do that.

So tell me your zoloft experience!
    And also if you take the combo of zoloft and trazadone.
    Thanks!
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

I take both Zoloft and Trazadone. I am on 150 mg of Zoloft and 100 mg of Trazadone.

I use to take the Zoloft in the a.m. (that was for about 10 years with no side effects), but after a stomach surgery I had difficulty where I would run to the bathroom right after taking it. I now take it at night the same time I take the trazadone.

It works for me!

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was on Zoloft for at least three years. I'm surprised you started right at 50 mg. I think I had some kind of starter pack that went 12.5, 25, etc. -- sort of ramped up over a week or so. 50 mg. really isn't a big dose -- it's actually kind of low. 100 is pretty usual. I was at 150 for quite a while, and there are higher doses as well.

As for when you should take it, if it makes you tired right after, take it at night. If it energizes you after, take it in the morning. I switched a couple of times to find the optimal time for me.

As for side effects (and any effects at all), it takes about a month or so to work through them. If you have side effects that are intolerable, you may need to switch medications until you find one that works right for you. Minor side effects like a bit of nausea will generally taper off.

One thing you should never, ever, do is to stop taking it cold turkey after you've been on it for a while. You will need to taper off the medication.
  4. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Noticed a huge differnce in my mood swings and depression, but I was taking it at night, and couldn't sleep so PCP said take in AM, its better now, but I haad a slow libido, now I have none, not a great side effects :(
    Started on 25mg, now on 50mg per rheumy orders.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I tried Zoloft a few weeks ago. I feel it calmed me, however it upset my stomach and stopped my appetite.

I already have GERD and a problem eating, so I decided not to take it.

Also, I read on this board the Dr. Cheney says Zoloft frys our brains. ????

I decided I do not need any more problems with my brain..
  6. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

I have been on zoloft for years. I have alternated between 50 mg and 100 mg. Right now I am on 100 mg. 50 mg is NOT a high dose at all. I do know you can go up to at least 200 mg. (I do not know if you can go higher than that). The zoloft works for my anxiety and is helping me through menopause since I am not a candidate for Hormone replacement therapy. Try to hang on for a while. They said it really takes up to four weeks to get the full affect of zoloft. I have no way of knowing if Dr. Cheney is right about zoloft frying our brains, but anymore they say nothing is safe to eat, drink or take !!!
  7. Risk

Risk New Member

I too take zoloft and klonopin. I've been taking them in the morning, but I notice come night fall, I feel better. More cooherent. My dr. suggested trying to take it at night as well. I haven't made the switch yet. I take 50mg of the zoloft and 1 mg of klonopin a day. And i can relate to the early menopause. I was also 44 when diagnosed (I'm 46 now). On the vivelle dot and prochieve gel 4%.

Zoloft has been the only antidepressant that I can take. I took it 12 years ago when my dad passed away. My dr. gave it to me with ativan for the first two weeks until my body got used to it. I also started at the 12.5, then 25 and finally 50. I went off of it for a few years, but went back on 5 1/2 years ago when the fibro struck.

Good luck with it Piebear, I hope it helps. I know that when I'm so sore and in pain in the morning, within 1 hr I begin to feel a bit better.

Rene
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I take 50 mg. of Zoloft daily at dinner time, finding that if I take it with a meal rather than just a snack, it really lessens the stomach effects. Also, it's at the end of the day, sort of, and then, I take 1 mg. ativan at bedtime, and sleep quite well. Taking Zoloft won't relieve your symptoms of fatigue and flu like symptoms, but it will relax you and relieve depression. Works for me. Marie
  9. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I hated trazadone. I only took it for a week. I woke up feeling like a zombie. Id never take it again. I take imovane for sleep and it works great. I took zoloft for 2 years. It helped me get thru a very stressful time but I packed on the weight. I went off it over a year ago and lost all the weight I put on. I feel much better off of it. I feel alive again. It made me very monotone. I prefer to stick with the narcotic pain meds as I dont feel doped up and zombie like. We all handle meds differently.
    hugs poodlemum
  10. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

If you're having problems with your sex life while on zoloft try adding a little buspar. Worked wonders for me.