anyone out there have...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sirfoo, Apr 27, 2011.

1. sirfoo

sirfoo New Member

been diagnosed with gastroparesis, with no physical reason to have it? My pcp told me its pretty rare except for folks who've had diabetes for many years, not something I have. I have no reason to have gastroparesis(a slowly emptying stomach), and it can cause no end of troubles. I've not seen it listed as a fibro symptom, but was just wondering if anyone out there has it too.

Thanks,
    Nancy
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't have gastroparesis, although I have had several other digestive problems, including low stomach acid. Low stomach acid is extremely common in people with CFS.

Here's a simple at home test to check stomach acid, which richvank posted quite awhile ago:

For those who haven't heard of the baking soda--burp test, it goes like this: On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is low.

Here's a link to Dr. Weil and some possible remedies for gastroparesis
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400595/Natural-Treatment-for-Gastroparesis.html

Also, here's a link that suggests that gastroparesis can be caused by low stomach acid:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080128082200AAUcWaL

Before I got my digestion sorted out (I now take HCL and digestive enzymes with meals), my stomach would feel very full for a long time after eating - it felt like the food was just sitting there, which I guess it was. I was very fortunate to have a chiropractor who did muscle testing who first found my low stomach acid. Later blood tests confirmed this.

Mary
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it is actually very common among those with ME/CFS
  4. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis (sp) too. I don't know if it is an added bonus with ME/CFS/fibro or if I'm just lucky ; ).
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you put "gastroparesis" in the title of your post, you may get more responses. Some people only scan titles due to time constraints. Good luck.

Love, Mikie