Anyone out there make a good veggie soup

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maps1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. maps1

maps1 Member

I am sooo sick. Seeing my naturapathic doc for almost four weeks and after many months of flank pain am thankfully almost pain free, so I am hoping that this naturapathic path will lead to some relief of this now constant sickness.

Now the pain is gone I have to get back to eating and taking vitamens. I hate vegetables but was hoping someone out there had a good, tasty recipe for veggie soup.

thanks and regards
  2. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, Ihave a good veg soup receipe. I usaully make a large roaster full and then freeze up the extra in plastic containers for days I dont feel like cooking.. freezes well. basic ingredients are stew meat 1 1/2-2 1/2 lbs bite size browned in skillet with a little oil. while thats browning I place the roaster about have full of water over medium heat add the meat to water as soon as its browned well add: 4 large carrots fresh not from can chopped.2-4 stalks celery chopped, 1 canned corn,1 canned green beans,peas about 1/2 can,tomatoes chopped I use canned for this about three cans, med head of cabbage chopped, turnips if you like them, 2 large onions chopped.Salt and pepper to taste and about 1/8 cup sugar. stir well and bring to a boil then simmer for several hours.until meat is tender. You can vary the amounts of any of the ingredients to suit your own taste. Like I love lots of onion and cabbage ...cant have to much. The longer you cook it the better and even the next day taste better as it has more time for all the veggie flavors to come to life.Its very good and you just feel healthier eating it.You may have to add some more water as it boils down or sometimes I add tomatoe juice. stir every so often.This makes alot. Hope you like it!
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The great thing about vegetable soup is that you can add whatever YOU like!!
    I do the veg. beef soup, but I have to admit, I do not like stew meat. So I get a little better cut of meat. The key is you have to cook it for a LONG time so it is tender - the longer the better.

If you don't want meat - you can either do just veggies and broth, or add a little rice, or even some small noodles.

I use a couple of cans of beef broth (add water if you need more liquid)
    beans (any kind you like!!)
    you can add, zucchini, broccoli, any veggie!

Add noodles or rice at the end. I simmer my soup all afternoon! Season with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, whatever you like.

If you like more of a 'tomato based' broth, add a can of tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce) and diced tomatoes, or some fresh ones too!

Lots of good veggies in the above post!!

The key to my soups (I make a lot) is the broth - that's easy to doctor up and make it how you like it. The longer you cook it the softer your veggies and meat will be.

Soup sounds good!!!!
    Get some good bread and have a big bowl of soup! Yum!!
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Lentil soup

soak your lentils overnight. We buy bouilion for stock - add leeks, carrots, lentils, onions, celery, bring to boil and then simmer - makes a lovely pot of soup. Then you can eat it like this or blend the vegetables so you have a smooth soup.

5. sascha

sascha Member

wash and simmer for a few hours all sorts of veg. ends, peelings that you've collected over time.

i put veg. ends and peelings in bag and freeze them; then when i'm ready fo make soup, start simmering.

i like a good, rich stock, so i like to put in all sorts of vegs--beets, carrots, celery, onion skins, kale, spinach, parsley- i don't generally put cabbage-y things in (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage- unless that's the kind of soup i want). really you can put most anything in. chop up a bit and let simmer for a few hours until goodness is cooked out.

strain out the stock and discard the cooked vegs, as they are overcooked by now.

then create the kind of soup you want. you can freeze extra stock for later use.

one soup i really like is pureed zucchini. cup up a lot of zucchini into the heated up stock and cook just until tender- maybe 5-10 minutes. then add salt and pepper, and a clove or so of garlic. i like to put in olive oil, too.

carefully (because when the mixture is very hot, it can spit back out at you), process the soup in blender, doing small amounts at a time. if it has cooled down a bit, you don't have to worry about it coming back out at you over top of blender- keep lid on loosely as you start blender a cup or two at a time so it doesn't "explode."

and there's a very rich, hearty, all-vegetable soup. you can put in different vegs according to your taste. i happen to like thick, smooth, pureed soups. of course, you can also add chicken stock to make it richer and to flavor the soup.

hope this helps- Sascha
  6. mammabek

mammabek New Member

start with 1 can diced or whole tomato,2 c water 2boullion cubes 1/4 head of cabbage,1 onion, 2 stalks celery,2 carrots 3 med potato, i also use 1 can green beans, 1 can corn,1 can greens or spinach and any other beans or veggies you have around, 1 pk french onion soup mix. start with the liquids and canned goods. then cut all your fresh veggies the same size and nuke them till fork tender and mix into pot with soup mix and boullion cube add hot sauce 1 tablespoon at a time until u reach a heat limit for yourself (i am sensitive so i only use 3 tbsp.) u CAN USE THE SAME TOMATO, WATER, CUBE, SOUP MIX AND HOT SAUCE BASE TO MAKE LEFT OVER SOUP. I USE A BIG SOLO CUP AND ADD LITTLE BITS OF LEFTOVER CORN BEANS MASHED OR BOILED POTATOES, ANY VEGGIE U CAN THINK OF AND WHEN I HAVE 3 CUPS I MAKE A BATCH. I FREEZE THEM IN A SMALLER SIZE SOLO CUP THAT I REUSE I FREEZE THEM UPRIGHT AND THEN RUN A LITTLE HOT WATER OVER THE OUTSIDE TO LOOSEN AND STORE MY SERVING SIZES IN GALLON FREEZER BAGS. U CAN PUT ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING, UNSWEETENED SWEET POTATO, MASHED OR BAKED OR BOILED POTATO, CANNED VEGGIES OR BEANS OR LEFT OVER PEAS..WHATEVER U HAVE ON HAND....IT KEEPS U FROM GETTING BORED! HOPE THESE HELP
  7. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

you can also make what we call soup Jars. this is the left over VEggies from Dinner. just put in a Jar , close lid and store in the freezer. then each time you have left over Veggies you pull out the jar and ad to it.. I will keep until I have maybe 1-2 jars. with all kinds of Diff veggies... when you are ready to make soup .. just pull out of freezer let thaw and ad to your stock and meat... add potatos and anything else you might want .
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, you are feeling so bad. I hope you will continue to improve.

My recipe is one I made up but it is simple and you can freeze left overs.

I don't measure I just throw together what I have .

Ground Round or Chuck, brown in fry pan add garlic powder, chilli powder or and spice you want.

In the soup pot I get the water boiling and add my veggies which are usually: Diced Potatoes, Onion,Garlic, Diced Carrots, Celery, Cabbage,
    Can Tomatoes, I usually have frozen Corn and Peas or Green Beans I add and sometimes if I have left over pinto beans I add those. Add the
    browned ground chuck or you can use hamburger. Add any spices you like . I usually just use a little salt and pepper, garlic power and chilli powder. Simmer till potates and carrots are tender.

I usual make a big pot and if any left I freeze . If you don't feel up to this, Campbell's have come out with a good soup, called Select Harvest.
    I love their Chicken with Egg Noodles. It taste more like homemade and doesn't have the sodium their original soup has. The Select Harvest has no MSF, no artificial flavors. Its easy just heat and eat.

I sure can relate to those days of not feeling well as most of mine are.

God Bless,
  9. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I love making soups this time of year.
    All I do is cook ANY veg that I have in the house....add tins of tomatoes and ginger, garlic, and black pepper to taste.And of course any left overs can go into the pot!!
    I like to leave my veg chunky because I think it is more like a meal and seems to be more filling than when it is blended.

My other favourite soup is chicken soup..MMMMmmmmm.

I just boil the bones up when the chicken is stripped of the meat........they say the bones contain something that is good for us......cant remember now lol
    Then strain the bones through a sieve into a pan to reserve the stock.

Add garlic/onion/celery/carrots/blackpepper and a couple of chicken stock cubes to taste.Then add pieces of chicken to make it filling and like a meal.I love it!!!!I NEVER use salt in my cooking because it is NOT good for us.

Some people make chicken BROTH which is very watery soup but I like a filling meal.Everyone makes chicken soup for colds and flu so this is the ideal time because so many people have been ill here this year.

And freezing it is a great idea because it saves me thinking what to make hubby for work.
    He takes it into work and I know he is getting something warm and healthy.

It can also last a few days so we always have something tasty to eat in the fridge when we are not up to cooking.Plus it makes me feel that I am eating quite healthy!!

10. maps1

maps1 Member

I had forgotten i had even posted this.

thank you all so much, have printed it off so i can try them out.

11. Catseye

Catseye Member

I narrowed down all the best things to make in soup to heal my own guts/immune system. I couldn't use regular veggie soup ingredients - I had to avoid tomatoes because they are a fruit, corn is a grain (starch/sugar), the root veggies have too much starch/sugar and beans are legumes (starch/sugar and antinutrients which hinder digestion). All this meant they were not good foods to eat while you have intestinal issues because they are very difficult to digest or they just are too high on the glycemic index (too much sugar). I even eliminated zucchini because I decided it had too much starch. I stuck to this soup (wonderful taste, BTW) and my last stool test showed major improvement in the bacteria and yeast levels. It's gotten me to a whole new level of activity.

You want cruciferous veggies like broccoli, brussell sprouts, cauliflower and watercress.

I use broccoli and cauliflower. Boil them in chicken broth with onion, garlic, yellow peppers (or any color, really) and a couple of chicken breasts. Then, when it cools slightly, run it all through the blender until you end up with a nice, thick, creamy soup.

You can't tell it has broccoli in it except for the fact it is green. If green bothers you, then add some red peppers and it will come out orange. It is delicious, I have some with every meal - it's my new staple food. Chicken broth is great for masking the dirt taste of most veggies, but the use of chicken breasts was ingenious - it makes you want to slurp up every last drop. It's extremely satisfying. It took many trials of different veggie combinations to come up with this. It heats up nicely in the microwave. Nuke it like 30-45 seconds, stir, and nuke for another 35 seconds. Perfect.

Roasted veggies are good, too. But the starchy ones are the best and I'm avoiding those. I may try to make roasted veggie soup one day, that sounds very tasty.

Just wanted to add - it does NOT freeze well, at least I don't like it, and make sure you use chicken broth without msg. I like the chicken broth flavor of Better Than Bouillon paste in a jar. Make sure you refrigerate it after opening. They have a ton of different flavors, too.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2009]
  12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I just made mashed Cauliflower which is soup like. It's delicious. What I liked best about it was that it was fast, easy and fun to make. I just happen to have typed it up last night after watching an online video for it:

Mashed Cauliflower

Cut a head of Cauliflower into florets then rinse and steam until fork tender.
    Half a small Onion roughly chopped
    1 clove of Garlic
    6 oz.Yogurt
    ¼ cup Fresh or Aged Parmesan Cheese
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    Salt & small dash of White Pepper
    Fresh Herbs like Parsley

Put the Garlic and Onion in Food Processor and pulse a few times. Mince finely. (I've decided to modify this when I make it next time. I'm going to press the garlic or chop it and cook the it with the onions in a pan with a little olive oil first because I can't handle them raw and they don't get cooked at any point in this recipe.)
    Add Cauliflower, Butter, Yogurt, Parmesan Cheese, pinch of Salt and a dash of Pepper.
    Blend together until it becomes a puree.
    Taste and add what's needed: Cheese and Yogurt will make it thicker.
    Add some fresh Herbs.

Bon Appetite!

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2009]
  13. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

2-3 LBS. BEEF (More or less it’s your soup!) ?
    (I used shoulder roast, but choose whatever you like)
    (I also use frozen veggies - usually one bag of each corn, green beans and peas)
    2-3 CANS CORN
    1 PKG. BABY CARROTS (Cut to size)
    1 STALK CELERY HEARTS (Cut to size)
    1 SWEET ONION (Diced)
    7 POTATOES (Cut to size)

Seer beef in skillet (Do not use flour or oil) then
    Put in roasting pan with appx. 1 & 3/4 cups water.
    Bake at 325 degrees for about two hours or until tender or
    Cook in slow cooker for several hours
    (I do this either way - depending on my schedule)

Cook celery, carrots and potatoes al dente. Drain.
    Pour broth and tomato juice in stockpot
    (You may want to use more or less broth/juice after vegetables begin to cook.)
    Add remaining vegetables
    Mix brown gravy with ¼ cup water and add to vegetables.

Simmer for a couple hours and enjoy!

14. hopabout

hopabout New Member

I did not read the other posts but I will tell you about my family recipe. Always loved by everyone. If you don't want beef....ok, and if you add chicken do it at the last minute cooked so it does not shread. I am not a big beef eater but do like a few piece in this soup.
    Just veggie works, some use stock when making it. Canned or fresh.

1 lb. of stew beef cut up in small piece
    (OR 1 can of stock chicken or beef for flavoring)

I cook that well in a sauce pan first with a little olive oil or butter and a small onion chopped.

then, put the meat in a large pan, soup pot, and add 1 can of chopped or diced tomatoes. The smaller the better. and 3 cups of water.

I let that just simmer, really really slow in a large pan
    for about 1 hour. Then, I add 1 can of tomato sauce. If you like tomatoes and they don't affect you negatively, then 2 cans. Its too citric for me with 2.

The ease of this is the veggies. 1 large plastic bag of frozen veggies. The ones that have corn, beans, peas, carrots in them. When making less, use 1/2 of it, I like a big pot so I can eat with out cooking for a day or two.

Let it all cook slowly on low heat once it comes to a boil again.

I also don't eat potatoes now but if you do..... cut one or two potatoes into large cubes, perhaps a small onion or two.

Best soup you ever had. Gosh, telling you makes me want to make some !

15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I cook mine in the slow cooker. I still brown the beef if making stew but you can use fresh frozen or canned veggies. I always use fresh onion and celery and tomato juice and canned tomatoes. GB66