Anyone out there with a hiatus hernia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Oct 22, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

Just curious to know if anyone suffers from a hiatus hernia(it's a muscle problem in the stomach area that attaches the esophagus to the stomach). It's very common with fibro patients and wondering if anyone has discomfort with it.
    Thanks,
    Tes
  2. tes

tes New Member

Just curious to know if anyone suffers from a hiatus hernia(it's a muscle problem in the stomach area that attaches the esophagus to the stomach). It's very common with fibro patients and wondering if anyone has discomfort with it.
    Thanks,
    Tes
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

but I sure wish it would TAKE a hiatus lol.

I am going to disucss this with my dr. today. I have a video that demonstrates a procedure that you can do on yourself, or better yet, have someone else do on you. It helps me when I do it. (Some massage therapists/chiropracters will adjust it back into place.) My friend's daughter was given this same video, many years ago, and she just recently told me she STILL finds it useful after all these years.

It can definatetly be a nuisance. My biggest problems are feeling a fullness to my throat, so to speak, and lots of burping.

Good luck with it,
    Annette
  4. tes

tes New Member

Do you ever get bad pain below the breast are and if you do what helps it? Do you ever get nauseated?
    Help would be appreciated.
    Tes
  5. kayfrey

kayfrey New Member

I saw your post and thought I would reply. I have a hernia, I have had ulcers in the past and yes, yes, yes, I hurt below the breast bone!!! I even hurt under my rib cage at least that is what it feels like. I had a endoscopy about 4 months ago.
    Stomach troubles and FM seem to go hand in hand. I had to go to the ER 2 weeks ago with chronic stomach pain. I am having some tests run on Friday. I am have colon troubles as well.

I looked at your bio and it was blank. I don't post much any more, but I notice alot of the old people have left and there are so many newbies. You are new too I see. You really should fill in your bio so we can know about you.

Hope this is some help!!!

Kayfrey
  6. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

also have an ulcer. With the hernia it does hurt under brest bone and I just found out why by reading other post.
    Does hurt at times .
    Ann
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm not looking for any more problems, but can you describe some of the symptoms of a hiatus hernia? I have GERD and take Protonix as well as generic Zantac 75 and Tums to try to control the acid. Though it seems to calm down sometimes, it always comes back. I blame my recurrent hoarseness and chronic sore throat on this acid reflux, but I know some people have had similar symptoms with hernias. Is there anything non-invasive that can distinguish between acid reflux disease and a hiatal hernia?

--Laura R.M.
  8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Yes to both questions: it hurts below the breastbone, and sometimes the breastbone itself, and on occasion I get really nauseated. If I let myself get constipatd (by forgetting to take my "go the the bathroom herbs" I will feel constipated up to my throat!

I met with my dr. today, and discussed this with her. I explained that my herb lady insists I have this. My dr. said she doesn't doubt it. She wasn't sure the best procedure to have done for it(she mentioned a couple), as that's not her area of practice, and while she offered to follow-up on it and get back to me, I said I would just talk to my primary dr., the one who does the nitty gritty stuff like removing my dreaded sebaceous cyst ugh! She even offered the name of a chiropracter nearby who puts them back into place, but said they do pop out again, eventually, so its not a permanent solution like surgery is, but I will do whatever I can to avoid surgery. I really was successful it correcting it myself, but at the time I thought it was a one-time thing and returned the tape to the herb lady. I have since gotten it back, but I'm too damn lazy and forgetful to view it and do the steps.

Annette
  9. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I know you are all going to label me crazy, but I'm going to throw in my experience here.

I have suffered with a hiatal hernia for years. The first time I had an attack, it hit me in the middle of the night and I thought I was having a heart attack. All I could think of was who was going to take care of my son!

Well, around 5 AM, I finally called my mom and this is her advice. She, too, has suffered with these things. I don't remember which post it was (ozone layer again!) but someone mentioned the gas getting trapped in the area above the stomach. This is what happens. My mom's remedy is strange, but let me tell you it works.

When you are experiencing the attack, find a door jam that you can hook your fingers around and let your body go slack so that you are basically "hanging" by your hands. Then, make yourself belch! Yeah, I know, it sounds weird, but what it does is release the air that is causing the pain and gravity takes over and that little flappy thingie goes back down where it belongs.

It really works too! Of couse, I laugh at my mom and tell her that now I can say that my mother has told me to go hang myself, but my family has a morbid sense of humor anyway! =)

Try this. No matter how silly you look, the relief is well worth it! Trust me! Been there, done that!

Hugs
    Kathy

[ advertisement ]