Anyone overly sensitive to Contact Lenses?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Aug 23, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Hello All,

I just remembered a couple years ago I bought contact lenses but my eyes were too sensitive to wear them. Felt like I had insects in my eyes. My body said "GET THOSE LENSES OFF YOUR EYES" I wish I could have worn them cause I look better without glasses. I guess that is the way it is with us over-sensitive FM people.

Thanks!
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I tried to wear contact lenses twice. The first time was about 25 years ago. I got them in okay, but eventually they would dry up and get real "gooky". I tried and tried but had to give up. I tried again last year, but again to no avail. My eyes are just too dry. I don't know if this is a symptom of FMS but it doesn't matter - there are so many beautiful frames out there that I don't mind.

Annette2
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It takes a while for one to get used to contacts. There are days when mine bothers me especially if my eyes are dry. I have several pairs of glasses which I can wear when my eyes are dry. Sometimes I can wear it all day but by evening, I need to take it out. Seems like since I had my eye job that my eyes are more sensitive.

The new soft contacts are soooo comfortable that most days, I forget I even have one in. I only wear one for reading--monovision. If I am extra tired, my brain will not work for monovision. It taxes the brain.

Love, Mikie
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hello, I wore soft daily wear contact lenses for over 20 years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. When I became ill with fibromyalgia, I found the lenses intolerable. I also have uveitis, a chronic autoimmune condition of the eye, and now wearing lenses is just not a possibility. I also had a big change in my vision and have bifocals now. I got the Varilux lenses for my glasses and I love them. But I do yearn for the days of contact lenses!

Michelle
  5. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

I have tried twice to wear them. I have astigmatism, so I have to get them either hard or weighted. Neither worked out, due to allergies, watery eyes and general discomfort. :(
  6. AnnG

AnnG New Member

wore contacts (old hard lenses) for 15 years with no problems. Then, at 30 (probably when my FM started) they would gunk over immediately. My kind eye Dr. tried every lense available with no luck. Every morning when it was time to put glasses on, I would cry and cry. It just wasn't me looking back from the mirror anymore. Now, I just buy the funkiest ones I can find!!!!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Now that I've had my eye job and they laser resurfaced the wrinkles under my eyes, I don't mind wearing my glasses. I wear the progressive lenses too and the bottom part used to just magnify my wrinkles making me look waaaaay older than my years. Now, the glasses look good and i don't mind wearing them.

Love, Mikie
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...wanted to see if you were male or female, but no info. The reason: we've had a discussion here before about the fact that many of us with FM/CFS have immune systems that are compromised & therefore hyper-vigilant to what our bodies consider "foreign invaders". This can include contact lenses, pierced earrings, and tampons, among other things. I myself don't wear contact lenses, but I know exactly the feeling you're talking about regarding your body saying "get those lenses outta here!", because that's precisely how I feel when I use tampons---I still do on heavy period days, but change them really often & alternate with pads----my body just seems to be "rejecting" them, it's an odd sensation. Same with pierced earrings; I only wear them some of the time, for a couple of hours max. Again, I just have this sensation that I want them "out". Never had an issue with it before FM. My doctor confirms that it's my hyper-sensitive immune system defending against invaders.

Check out eyeglasses again, there are some great styles now, very "in" again...

Good luck,
    Pam
  9. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I haven't been able to wear them for years.
    I can manage them for a short while, then my ears get sore, and eventually get all gungy. I can't be bothered even trying any more.

I thought it was because of the dermagraphism I suffer from. I take antihistamines all the time to stop itching. Despite that the insides of my ears itch all the time, and this earring thing.

now I realise it must be part of the whole fms thing.

pam

[ advertisement ]