Anyone own a Ragdoll Cat??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Jun 21, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

If so, what's it like, did you pay big bucks for it, what color is it, and do you love, love, love it?? him/her??

Just curious, i'm interested in them but can't get past the price tag.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I read about 'em a few years ago. Very docile. Sleep in doorways, etc.

3. morningsonshine

Hey Rock, they do sound nice and cuddly, my youngest boy is growing out of that stage, thought a cuddly cat would be easier than another baby!!! LOL

Thanks, I've been spending alot of time looking also, and $600.00 about consistent with what i've found also.

Just hard to justify that with one income, family, and medical bills. It's fun looking at the different web sights, i think i like the blue point color the best, how about you??
    Any favorite sights??

I did check out pet.finder already, and didn't find anything close i was interested in, i think i'll just keep my eye on that tho, never know what may pop up.

My indoor rescue kitty gets kinda bored, and wants more activity, and begs to go outside. He likes hanging out with us, but is not a cuddler.

4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I just found kittens in Nebraska for $450.

They are the cutest things!! I've never seen them before. If I was in the market for a cat, I'd really consider one of them. Oh yeah, I'd have to win the lottery too!

5. morningsonshine

Diane, I know what you mean, i found several breeders in MN, but don't dare go look.

Here is a web sight that list many breeders from different states, have fun!!

Budmickl, It's kinda funny when we thing $450 is a good deal. It's still alot, but less than the average. I couldn't find that sight in Nebraska?

I think reasonable, for a pet, would be say, $200, 250??
    But also supply and demand.

So tell me what colors, you people like??

I was also reading about the Birman cats, they are very similar to the ragdolls, i bet that breed was one of the mixes that got used to create the Ragdoll. But they too are rare and hard to find.
  6. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Do a google search on CKC18DBN. The ad is from the KCStar but the pets are in Nebraska.

7. morningsonshine

Very adorable, i really like the point colors with no white.
    By the time the shipping fee was added for out of state, plus neuter cost, the price would be back up to that of a local breeder's.

What state are you in??
  8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I'm in MO hot and muggy Missouri

9. morningsonshine

That would be ways for you too. Well depending what part you lived and what part of Nebraska.

We are both kitty (LOL) corner to that state, but i'm way up north. It's a 9 hr. drive to the bottom of MN.

Let me know if you bit the bullet and ever decide to get a Ragdoll.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

dont have a ragdoll cat but bought two Devon Rex cats (UK) a year ago, they were $600 each too.

I've never had a pedigree cat before. My two are exactly what their breed says, they behave so differently to any cats I've ever had.

Read up on the breed before you buy.

I would buy my two all over again of course.

11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Over a year ago I read in a daily city paper that a "no kill shelter" hadi a ragdoll. I called them and "yes, they had one that was a female". I said to hold it and w3e would be down the next day.

We went to the shelter and I saw the ragdoll right away. beautiful! I said we would take it. I asked how much and she said $25.00!!!!! Also that her name was Chloe.

We brought her home and she took right away to us and the litter box. I noticed that she had runny eyes ansd nose so decided that we should take her to our vet the next day.

She behaved very well and the vet put her on the table. She lifted her tail to inspect and she said THIS IS A BOY!!!! How could we be so dumb. We just didn't pay any attention to that end!!!

The next day we took "Claude" back. The lady sheepishly said "Do you want your $25 back?"

i discovered later that a friend had gotten Sofie (female) from the same person and she is a beauty. She thinks that they were Hurricane Katrina" refugees.

So much for that. we now have a beaugtiful calico.

12. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was always reluctant to get a male cat but last May got a brother and sister.

My Hamish is the most affectionate puss in the world, he's been fixed so doesn't wander, doesn't spray, he's just wonderful.

I think the problem with male cats arises when they are not neutered.

14. jyl

jyl Member

Charlie was the love of my life (I don't have children). He was a mitted seal point (colored like a Siamese with socks). One of the best things about Ragdolls are their size, they are big cats. They feel like they have rabbit fur instead of cat hair and their hair doesn't mat like most long haired cats. He was truly the loving animal I have ever had and if I ever have the money again I will get one. He followed me everywhere because he wanted to be with me and see what was going on. Ragdolls are very mello but do need their people.

Unfortunely, Charlie started having seizures when he was 9 1/2 years old and that is too late for epilepsy - it was cancer.

They are expensive, but you are getting what you pay for. I remember when we first got him a friend came over just to see what a $500 cat looked liked and said the one he had from the shelter was just as good.

You might be able to adopt a retired breeder from a cattery.

I know this is long, but I cannot say enough about how wonderful Ragdolls are.

15. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Hello MSS and all,
    My sister had a Ragdoll cat in the seventies and eighties. His name was Willie and he was the most adorable, loving, cuddly cat I've ever met. When he got old, he just wandered off one day, never to return and broke my sister's heart! We've never seen another cat like that.
    Best of luck!