Anyone purchase CFIDS through stress, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MonteCar, Mar 12, 2003.

1. MonteCar

MonteCar New Member

I have a certain scenario of CFIDS that shot down my immune system due to all amounts of stress carrying on for a long time with out doing anything about it. I know that alot of you had gotten CFIDS through some sort of viral illness or another. I know that my situation was definitely stress related and I still am paying for it and don't know of any fixation for it, its even hard for my to portray to other caring individuals to what is and has gone down. If there are any of you who don't mind I'd like or even love to hear your stress related stories so I have someone I can relate to, this thing is so difficult just to live with better yet attempt to live with, please I'd be very glad if you'd be open enough to pour onto me your stories, thank you.

Kurt
  2. dacer

dacer New Member

HI, I GOT THE CFIDS FIRST THROUGH MONO EBSIEN BARR IT MANIFESTED IN 1995 AND IT KEPT GETTIN WORSE, ONE OF THE REASONS WAS BECAUSE I WAS UNDER EXTREME STRESS IT TOOK MANY YEARS TO LOWER MY STRESS LEVEL AND IN THAT TIME I ALSO GOT FIBRO, ONE OF THE THINGS I LEARNED IS TO RELEASE THE GUILT OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DO THINGS. TO GET RID OF THINGS OR PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE THAT CAUSE YOU STRESS, SCALE DOWN ON EVERYTHING ALTHOUGH IT SUCKS, I WENT FROM SUCCESFULL TO NOTHING, SOCIAL TO CRASH AND BURN. I AM NOW TRYING TO BALANCE EVERYTHING ON A LOWER SCALE. AND I SAY NO TO MANY THINGS I WOULD HAVE NEVER SAID NO TO BEFORE, LIKE GOING OUT, OR HAVING A CONVERSATION THAT IS GOING TO STRESS ME. MAYBE THAT WILL HELP. DACER
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I firmly believe that the reason for my CFIDS and FMS is stress-related. Among the stressful events in my life are: death of my dad when I was 10, grandfather when I was 12, death of half-brother who acted as surrogate father at age 14, 24 year marriage to a verbally abusive man, husband's announcement that he was in love with two women at the same time, but that was no problem, break-up of marriage, a son dx'd with bipolar disorder, moving two households into one, living with my 92 year old mother, to name a few!!

I believe my illness began in the early-mid 80's following the birth of my third child, around the time of the "in love with two women," announcement. Following that came a dx of hypothyroidism. About 15 years after that came a dx of glucose intolerance. My CFIDS and FMS dx was in Dec. 2001, but I've been gradually becoming worse for the past 20 years!

Barbara
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

My significant health problems developed after a prolonged period of extreme physical and emotional stress.

The man I shared a house with and was very close to had a sudden brain hemmorhage and was in Neuro ICU for some time, had aphasia [loss of ability to speak properly] and some physical losses.

so I had to take care of house on my own plus work full time plus visit him in the hospital every day for the first while, then every other day for a while and then several times per week for a while, his recovery was long.

He was also my best friend so I no longer had him to lean on.

My mother and grandmother were not speaking to me and I was having trouble dealing with that emotionally. {I had my one and only fight with my grandmother about something my mother did, but thought we would kiss and make up, didn't dream my grandmother would pull her grudge thing with me -- had disowned my mother twice-- and since I was upset with my mother...my mother decided that she didn't have to justify anything to me and we both decided to part ways, for a time]

at same time, a cat I was caring for died

friend diagnosed with terminal cancer and died quickly

work relations with my boss became strained, she didn't care that I was having difficulties in my personal life

my paternal granfather was having health problems and so family got together to get him alternative treatment. While he and my grandmother were across the country my grandmother had major stroke and almost died. Was left paralyzed on one side of body. Was a lot of work for all of us to get her back to Ontario and we all had to pitch in with whatever help we could to help with their large house and I wanted to visit her of course, but was out of town from where I lived and I have no car.

During my friend's rehab from his brain injury, I found out he had lied to me about something important and i didn't handle it too well...

To make a long story short, after he was released home, he displayed some paranoia and significant problems with temper control, directed at me and I got very little help from his team of medical doctors, therapists. I started to live in fear of my life and amidst exhaustion had to start looking for a different place to live. I had a few items in a bag packed in case I would have to leave at any time during a night for a women's shelter or something.

He moved out first cause he only needed a room whereas I needed more space and had limited income. I felt bad cause he was the sick one and was still going to leave so he could come back to the house. But then landlord said he wouldn't have him back anyways, and i was already having my own health problems so i was grateful to suspend the search for other accommodation.

my health continued to decline, yada yada yada...i pushed to get time off work and developed more problems with my boss who was not supportive...

then crack addict neighbours kept waking me up during the night, worsening my sleep problems but I was afraid to do much being a small single woman living on her own. Then crack addicts moved into the house I lived in. Of course my landlord and I didn't know that, I know a lot more about signs of crack use than I did then, that's for sure. So, in a short time I started to have people knocking on the front door all times of the night waking me up. Calling the police and complaining to my landlord didn't help much and I was now too sick to move.

After several months of trying to work through all this, I began to improve a little and was just starting to resume a new life and dating when a separate health problem occurred which made me very sick and I couldn't work most of 6 weeks and worsened my CFS.

Long story short, I lost my job, tried working part time and resting more, but my health just continued to deteriorate, and one stress after another...my maternal grandmother died not speaking to me, my paternal grandmother died, other relatives died, other things happened and I had to move. Moving set me back health wise a bit and then neighbours partying til 4 am every Saturday night, adn some others, smoke all over the place [I'm allergice] and several other neighbour problems contributed. I of course complained to my landlady but it has taken more than 2 years for things to resolve themselves. I got to a point where I realized I couldn't keep working, but then the application process for gov't benefits was very time and energy consuming and very stressful. Took about 2 years and some of it was a big fight. I was denied initially and had to get a lawyer through a no cost clinic and live off welfare and use food banks, and sicne welfare didn't cover my rent..have almost no spending money for about a year. That lifestyle was very stressful and made me even worse, esp since can't get the healthy food you need from the food bank. I shouldn't eat wheat or much grains or too much dairy or MSG and should really limit my sugar. But food bank is mostly wheat, powdered milk and sugary items and canned food. Rare to get fresh vegetables or meat. But, at least it helped me survive, in addition to the occasional MEALS ON WHEELS which, given my low income, was subsidized [i.e. free] for once per week.

The prolonged stress contributed significantly to my decrease in health.

I actually had a short bout of CFS in 1990, but didnt' know what it was at the time. I was in an intensive school program not getting enough rest, eating crap and sugar and coffee. But I met a fantastic healer who could see I had some problems, I followed his suggestions and within months had much better functioning.

It seems to me that I have a tendency towards this disease, but that if I could lead a very healthy lifestyle, I think my functioning can improve. Unfortunately, the research shows, and my personal experience, that if you let it go too long, pushing yourself to work much longer than you should instead of getting the rest and recuperation you need, than the prognosis is not as good and the recovery can be much longer.

I am trying hard to get well by utilizing alternative treatments and my own research, but additional major stressors in my life in the last 2 years haven't helped!

Okay, I hope telling you all this is helpful. :)

I'm pooped now and must go rest.

Good luck on your road to wellness.

jen F
  5. Gracie65

Gracie65 New Member

I found this post farther down the list but it's one that I understand all too well. The answer I have is 'yes', stress of an overwhelming type, triggered a downward spiral I still haven't pulled out of 3 years later. My entire life was never without one crisis, emotionally and physically. But I think being younger helped me to just stay this side of becoming chronically ill. However in the last 6 years I have lost the remaining members of my small family in passing, a divorce and a complete hysterectomy. Woven into that was dealing with the endless details, the funerals, personal effects and items of these family members.

I could feel the slide in the summer of 1999 after losing my mother and only sister in 17 months. I haven't been able to get out of it and know that my CFS was just waiting for an opening to rear it's ugly head. So stress of an overwhelming nature can and does compromise the immune system and we end up with chronic diseases like this one.