anyone quit smoking and notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Peace77, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I quit smoking 4 days ago and noticed my pain level went way down. I have also had to use much less pain medicine over the past few days.
    Here's all the chemical toxins in cigarettes:
    butane
    cadmiun
    formaldehyde
    lead
    proplene glycol
    turpentine
    acetone
    ammonia
    arsenic
    benzene
    benzoapyrene

No wonder I was in pain )-:
    Anyone quit smoking and noticed a difference?
    And oxygen is so important for pain free health right?
    Michelle
  2. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

My energy level is better too! And I LOVE dogs too. He forces me to walk him every night or I wouldn't. I'm using the patch to quit so you might consider it. I got it prescribed to me by doctor. Or I've recently heard of the pill. Whatever works but cold turkey wasn't working for me. With the patch I feel confident to even be around people. No cravings but only until the patch started working. I put patch on at 7pm had a cig. then smoked again @ 7:30pm. Oops. Figured it wasn't working yet. Tee hee. But haven't had a craving since. Hope you can quit. I believe God also helped to take the obsession away. Have a peaceful day.
    ***Peace*** (-:
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

i have quit many times for various lengths of time and have never noticed any change (other than smelling better)
  4. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I can't believe I'm feeling better within just a few days and no cravings. I feel like a miracle happened to me. My pain is down and my energy up. Yahoo.

Yeap just seeing the list of poisons makes me feel really turned off by smoking. When I see people smoking I just feel sorry for them. In NO WAY do I wish I was having a cigarette. After finding out about that list I want to tell the whole world.

You have to be ready too. I think a light bulb went off in my head and I just decided to quit. I was thinking of how much money I'd say too and figured there's so many more things to spend it on, like vitamins and herbs to heal my body.

I bought a big bottle of vitamins and bought a pair of slacks and a blouse today. I've saved $20. already.

I still think about cigarettes but know cravings. I did this only with God's strength, not my own. It has to be supernatural because I'm not having any cravings and I smoked a pack a day. My pain med. really kicked the cravings in for me. I've reduced my meds. to so I won't get a craving and since my pain is less I don't need as much. It's like real blessings have been happening in my life. Wish everyone could have these feelings.
    Hugs,
    **Peace** :)
  5. binxi

binxi New Member

because i thought it would make me better. it didn't, but the thought that it might was a great motivation. if i still smoked now that i'm on sickness benefits i wouldn't be able to eat because all my money would be spent on cigarettes.
  6. Honora88

Honora88 Member

The three mentioned above are supposedly the biggest no no's with cfid. I notice with the last two my symtoms become unbearable.
  7. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

At first, I had a more difficult time coping with pain because my heavy smoking had been masking some of the pain. As time passed and I developed other, healthier ways to manage pain, my quality of life improved.

I'd recommend quitting smoking for many reasons, including the money saved. What I did was transfer the money I'd been spending on cigarettes to spa services: manicures, pedicures, facials and most importantly in terms of pain management, massage therapy.

Knowing if I ever returned to smoking it would be at the expense of my spa-budget, is a good reason to stay quit. It really works because I LOVE the spa and could not afford to go otherwise.

I used Zyban/Wellbrutin, nicotine patches & gum and, with on-line support from quitnet, I managed after 35 years of heavy smoking, to quit (it's been about five years).

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  8. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I continue to stay smoke free (5 days) and don't think I could ever go back. I do feel it is a miracle because I have NO cravings, even when around smokers.

I can't imagine smoking knowing all the chemical toxins in cigarettes. They use embalming fluid in them and we wonder why we walk around the walking dead. My energy is better and the pain in my back much better, already.

A friend told me back pain was directly associated to cigarette smoke. His dr. told him if he wanted his back pain to go away to quit smoking; he did and it did. I wouldn't have believed it but it happened to me too.

I will also look into the worship board. Is that here on ProHealth. I check that out now.

Yeap, the money saved is definitely a motivator. I've already bought vitamins and a pare of slakes and a blouse.

My biggest motivator is I didn't want to die before my kids were well into their years. If I died in 15 years they would only be 40 and 42 and that's too young. My parents are in excellent health at age 70 and 75. I don't want them going any where and want to be there for my kids too. I am 49 and still have lots to share with my parents. I quit on my daughter's B.D. and on Sunday evening after church. God said it was time and I followed His lead.

Hope others are hitting positive milestones in their life.
    Blessings,
    Peace
  9. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

peace77-

Congratulations on quitting smoking! That is a huge step towards health and healing.

I quit well over 2 years ago and it's one of the best things I ever did. I too smoked a pack a day. I'm so glad to be free of that addiction.

10. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

Has anyone heard how smoking can keep your back from healing? Anyone ever quit smoking and notice any results? Still looking for results.

I am on day 7 of my quit and don't think I'll ever smoke again considering all the toxins in cigarettes.

I don't notice any labored breathing accept for a little. I'm thinking that will improve.

Also, I use to sing in a choir with a fairly decent voice, so I was told, however when I tried to even sing in church my throat hurt. OMGosh, I wouldn't have ever been able to resume my activities. So I hope quitting gives me my voice back.

Let me here from you,

***********Peace*************
  11. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

"Quit smoking. Smokers have diminished oxygen levels in their spinal tissues, which can hinder the healing process".

This was written by a doctor under treatment for back pain. I hope my back will heal faster now that I stopped because I can barely walk,
    *******Peace********
  12. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

Take a deeper look at this list, it's unbelievable:

Acetone - A flammable, colorless liquid used as a
    solvent. It's one of the active ingredients in nail polish
    remover. The tobacco industry refuses to say how
    acetone gets into cigarettes.

Ammonia - A colorless, pungent gas. The tobacco
    industry says that it adds flavor, but scientists have
    discovered that ammonia helps you absorb more
    nicotine - keeping you hooked on smoking.

Arsenic - A silvery-white very poisonous chemical
    element. This deadly poison is used to make
    insecticides, and it is also used to kill gophers and rats.

Benzene - A flammable liquid obtained from coal tar
    and used as a solvent. This cancer-causing chemical is
    used to make everything from pesticides to detergent to
    gasoline.

Benzoapyrene - A yellow crystalline carcinogenic
    hydrocarbon found in coal tar and cigarette smoke. It's
    one of the most potent cancer-causing chemicals in the
    world.

Butane - A hydrocarbon used as a fuel. Highly
    flammable butane is one of the key ingredients in
    gasoline.

Cadmium - A metallic chemical element used in alloys.
    This toxic metal causes damage to the liver, kidneys,
    and the brain; and stays in your body for years.

Formaldehyde - A colorless pungent gas used in
    solution as a disinfectant and preservative. It causes
    cancer; damages your lungs, skin and digestive system.
    Embalmers use it to preserve dead bodies.

Lead - A heavy bluish-gray metallic chemical element.
    This toxic heavy metal causes lead poisoning, which
    stunts your growth, and damages your brain. It can
    easily kill you.

Propylene Glycol - A sweet hygroscopic viscous liquid
    used as antifreeze and as a solvent in brake fluid. The
    tobacco industry claims they add it to keep cheap
    "reconstituted tobacco" from drying out, but scientists
    say it aids in the delivery of nicotine (tobaccos active
    drug) to the brain.

Turpentine - A colorless volatile oil. Turpentine is very
    toxic and is commonly used as a paint thinner.

Hope this helps someone quit. And I wondered where my energy was going?? I was poisoning myself.

Peace
  13. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Dear peace,

I was really surprised to hear you were a smoker. I read many of your posts and you seem like a "natural" type of person. I'm very glad that you have quit smoking and I encourage others to do the same. (I quit many years ago before getting pregnant with my child.)

I really amazes me that people who endorse natural remedies for CFS/FM/ME and really "rip" into mainstream meds are still putting toxins from cigarettes into their bodies.

I'm not judging anyone. We all deal with this in our own way. If you smoke - quit. If you don't smoke - don't start.

Good luck to peace and all the others on the no-smoking bandwagon.

~Cookie~
  14. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

No I don't take offense to that. I went through a severe depression this winter and am only picking myself up by the boot straps. I failed to care for myself in many ways. I isolated and couldn't barely do anything. I'm now on a road to recovery and want to live a healthier life, for myself, my kids and the one I owe my life to.

********Peace********
  15. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Excellent! Good For You and Your Kids!

Be Healthy. Be Happy.

~Cookie~
  16. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I hear you on the depression making you not really care about yourself.

I'm also attemting to quit YET again and have four days under my belt. I'm good at quitting but not staying quit...LOL

I also have had severe depression on and off for over a year but am also attempting to turn things round and I do feel when I am able to do that I start to take an interest and more joy in things around me and take more care of myself, which includes not smoking.

I too would love to not smoke ever again but I try not to think of forever - that's been my downfall before.

One day at a time - hopefully we can do this.

It's interesting about the back pain etc. A good motivator!

Count me in as a quit buddy ;-)

Love Bunchy x
  17. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

What method are you using to quit? I found the patch is really working for me. It helps me deal with the nicotine WD while getting the psychosocial and mental aspects of quitting. It's easier being around others who smoke because you don't get cravings. Even though I avoid smokers now (to avoid a trigger and to avoid 2nd hand smoke)some times it's still necessary to be around them.
    One day at a time,
    Peace
  18. binxi

binxi New Member

its still fairly early days for me too.
    i tried to quit a few times and wanted to be successful this time so i had a look into some different methods.
    i used patches- in the past i've used them but before the 3 month course was over i'd get cocky and decide i didn't need them anymore. this is the first time i completed the course and it was worth it.
    bunchy- what you said about thinking about forever is an issue with me too. i read something on the net from someone who had successfully quit and i did it too. its to make it a challenge for yourself to see how long you can go between cigarettes. 1 week after i quit i had a smoke which meant the next one had to be in more that 1 week. so then 1 week and 2 days later i might have had a cigarette, then 2 weeks, then 3 weeks etc.
    i still have a half pack of smokes here that i bought in february and i tell myself if i want one and it won't stuff up my challenge i can have one. i'm finding though that i want to smoke less and less. i haven't had one for probably 2 months now, and when i want one i put it off because if i have one i can't have another one for 2 months and 1 day.
    its not something they suggest in the quit books, but its working for me- it means that having a cigarette doesn't mean that you've failed and might as well give up.
    good luck
  19. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I quit 16 months ago and would light up tomorrow if it turns out cigarette smoking is good for you! I crave a cigarette several times daily. I have several friends, who quit years ago (some over 20 years ago), who would also happily light up tomorrow.

I have a friend who could not get out of bed without a cigarette, smoked 3 packs a day, could not get on a plane without nicotine gum - yet she quit 5 years ago and detests the smell of smoke (I love it still as do other quitters - most of us smoked less than a pack a day, go figure).

For some the gum or patches work, for others nothing but cold turkey works. I tried Chantix, had horrible side effects (as did dozens of other people I know - avoid this drug if possible, it's nasty), so finally quit cold turkey. Best of luck, it's a difficult thing to do - and some, like me, will wind up always wanting to smoke.

It had zero impact on FM/CFS and my other medical issues, including high blood pressure (I thought quitting might make it drop a bit).