Anyone read "The Fibromyalgia Solution" by David Dryland,MD ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Mar 25, 2008.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

From what I have read so far, the author is a Rheumatologist who sufferED himself with fibro and he came up with a program for treating fibro that he says reverses Fibro. Dr. Dryland's program includes "highly effective lifestyle changes and a regimen using the widely available medications Mirapex and Requip". I have only read about 50 pages of his book that is three hundred and some pages long. He talks about taking high dosages of Mirapex and how it has literally reversed fibro in many of his patients. Has anyone heard of this regimen? Is anyone on this regimen? My dr. has told me that Mirapex is good for RLS ( restless leg syndrome) but he has never mentioned anything about this regimen that the author speaks of. Just curious if anyone has found Mirapex to work in more ways than just helping with RLS?????????????? Love, Carla
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Carla,

You may want to check out this thread entitled <a href="">The Fibromyalgia Solution," by David Dryland, MD</a>. There's a number of good posts there that should give you some good information.

You may also want to check out this thread entitled <a href="">A to B Calm Freeze Dried Calcium/Magnesium for Muscle Pain</a>. I like this product a lot, and would guess that it could work very well for RLS (as it advertises).

Best, Wayne

3. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I've posted in the past about Mirapex. If you search under my name and find the thread entitled "Mirapex helps with PAIN" you'll see a study that you then could bring to your doctor if you're interested in pursuing this treatment.

I am taking Mirapex for FM and have been pleased. I am slowly titrating up to the study dose of 4.5mg. Currently I'm on 2.0mg.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

On this site. Just read all of them from this thread and the first.

My sister sent me "The Fibromyalgia Solution." Just received it today. I'm very interested in the idea of a fight or flight problem and can see the connection.

I also have lupus and that problem / symptoms can get confused with the FMS I have. My rheumatologist can't even tell me if some of my symptoms are lupus or FMS. Many with lupus have FMS.

Whatever, our bodies are in constant fight or flight just with pain and the problem increases if we continue with pain. Got to stop cycle.

Sleep problems go along with it all - can't sleep, more problems with the fight / flight >>>> increased pain, etc.

I'm looking forward to reading something that may help with it all ... can't hurt!

Thanks to everyone for the posts!
  5. maverick76

maverick76 New Member

and I don't particularly agree with what he says. I believe there is a problem with dopamine, but this is just one factor. The medication helps you sleep, so that might make the pain better, but it also makes you tired during the day. He claims all of the research is out there. I certainly haven't seen it. Definitely not a cure.

BILLCAMO New Member

There is not one single approach that helps all of us....

Some help some & others may help others.....

There are still more questions than answers.....

Blessings ,

7. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Hi all--Dr. Dryland practices in my area and in fact, lives very near me. My GP considered sending me to him when I first developed ME but then decided against it. Dr. Dryland, I am told, is a great believer in exercise--the more the better. My GP (and my own body) tells me that this would be very contra-indicated in my case. I have heard that he's had great success with some patients, however.

I'll be interested to see reviews of his book. I'd also love to hear of anyone who tries him who has ME and has no ability to perform any sort of exercise.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks so much for the link about the book. It could not have come at a beter time for me.

I see my rheumy on Thursday and want to talk to her about mirapex which I believe raises the dopamine level. I was on for a while when my RLS was worse and did not have any problems as far as side effects.

I am going back to the post to hear his radio interview.

It does sound like he has some interesting things to say.

I may go to the library tomorrow, get the book and do a reading marathon between now and Thursday!!

I have actually been meaning to read the book as I had heard good things about it. I just have not had a chance to get it.

Again, thanks.

BTW, I have tried the calcium/magnesium route. For me it did not work but I may have a more severe case of RLS since I have had it since I was 16. That would be about ten years ago, right? I wish!!!!! LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

In the book does Dr. Dryland address the fatigue of FM or CFS?

Does he see the two as distinct or probably the same situation?

Thanks, GA
  10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Gapsych,

I just now saw your posts. I haven't read Dr. Dryland's book myself, just listened to his radio interview. I seem to remember he mostly focused on FM.

On the calcium/magnesium: For myself, I've found there is a huge difference between a regular calcium/magnesium supplement and the powder that is freeze dried. Really don't notice anything with the regular, but usually notice a difference in my muscles within minutes of taking the freeze dried.

Best to you on your doctor's appointment tomorrow. It's good to hear you've already done well with the Mirapex. Sounds like this can be really helpful for many with FM.

I have primarily ME/CFS, but may try to get into see Dr. Dryland at some point since he's he's local here in southern Oregon. Dr. appointments just seem to be a lot for me to deal with, so try to schedule them when I think I can get the most out of them.

Regards, Wayne