Anyone read "the Glass Castle" non fic really good

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

Sorry but this book was sooo good. Just wanted to know if anyone read it??
    Thanks
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

I like the title, what is it about?

Kendra
  3. Rene

Rene New Member

Well this is a very inspiring book. A very easy read. I'm not good at English writing so its hard for me to describe. I was more of a math reader.

2005 book was issued. The family is very very poor cause the dad wont work and the mom won't either even hough the mom has a degree in teaching. The mom is 90% of the time super positive and thinks homeless is an adventure.

What I like most is that they never feelsorry for themselves. Like for Christmas their dad tells them to pick a star out cause they live in the dessert and have no $. They celebrate xmas week later cause they pick up a diguarded tree.

Anyway the kids work really hard and eventually the one daughter moves to New york at age 17 from their faimilies poor shack in Virginia.

Then the daughter ends up at Barnard College and lives in Park Ave and sees her mom who followed her to Ny picking out of the garbage and the daughter is ashamed.

Anyway I didn't see anything depressing about it cause of the positive attitude they had better then most people. Heck look at Prncess Di she had everything you could want and was depressed.

Abosolutly they went hungry and with out food but the kids always did their homework and never felt sorry for themselves.
    Rene
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

it sounds interesting to me. I'm going to look for it and read it.

Thanks.

Kendra
  5. Rene

Rene New Member

If you read it let me know! Another member here said they were on Oprah so Oprah must have liked it too. Wish I could have seen that.

I don't know where you live but I like to order books right on line from the library and just go to the counter and pick them up.
    Rene
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

I'll let you know when I read it. I like those kinds of stories. I enjoy non-fiction better than fiction, so I think I'll like it.

Kendra