Anyone read this about thyroid being possible cause

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Feb 17, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

of FM and CFS? What do you guys think of it?

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/fibromyalgiacfs/l/bldrlowe.htm

Lena
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had hypothyroidism since I was 9 years old. I'm 56 now. My dad had what I am sure was FMS too in the same places I have it. He hurt badly and took a lot of pain meds.

Back then they didn't know about it and he was seeing the wrong doc, an orthopedist doctor who said he had neuralgia. So part of this I think, is genetic, and part is trauma that triggers it, I feel.

My endocrinologist keeps a great eye on my thyroid and I still have FMS just as badly now as I did when my family doc was dealing with my hypothyroidism, badly.

When my endo increased my thyroid meds (Cytomel, a T3 med) I didn't feel much better and still don't.

My dad didn't have any thyroid problems it was my mother that had hyperthyroidism. Funny that I got the opposite of what she had.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Manina

Manina New Member

Oh do I believe it!!! you betcha I do! I complained for seven years that I was listless had pains every where , sore joints, headaches, sinus issues, and so on and so on.

Then I discovered a lump! had thyroid cancer, my surgeon (love her) said the size of three tumors(not just one) one of them alone was at least there for 10 years.

No more thyroid , but same pain.
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I think it does have a lot to do with it!I didn't get sick until I had thyroid problems.
    Take Care!
    Kelly
  5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I have Hashi's (hypothyroid) and juvenile diabetes. I was diagnosed with CFS/FM eight years ago. HypoT causes fatigue due to the lack of your bodies ability to repair and maintain cellular regeneration and metabolism. Without healthy cells you can't have heath and vitality.

I have felt strongly for the last eight years that we are all very toxic and that is the reason we fight fatigue and pain. Our organs can't do their job. Our livers are backed up and overworked. This has not caught on to anyone at this forum. I've said to people, please don't take so many meds, you're already toxic and are going to make it worse. I think I've upset some people and that's not my intention. I want to help if I can. Here's what I can say now.

I recently found a new GP that I heard was good. I have only seen him twice. At the first appointment, he looked at my lab results (like NO ONE ever has!) and started to say things like, "you have alot of mercury and pesticides." "Your body's not making T3 from the T4 you take every day." "YOu have a lot of GI inflamation and inflamation all over." "Your immune system is out of balance and I would like to check your saliva cortisol levels. " I was a bit taken aback. These were typical blood lab results from Quest Diagnostics and yet he was saying words no other doctor has ever said to me. And I've been to many doctors!!

My doctor said he was going to a conference in Fl. and that he was giving a talk on lab results. He wanted to use my results as a teaching tool to the other docs and also wanted to run them by his buddy who was teaching at the conference too. I said "ok". Who would argue with that?

My second appt. was Thurs. and to make a 30 min. appt. into one sentence he said, "You need to detox". Your body is toxic and I believe this is the cause for all the fatigue and poor lab results.

So, that's what I am going to do, once again.

It is my opinion, that this is what everyone on this board needs to do. But since most of you take many medications, I feel those people need to be very careful if they choose to do this and may want to seek out a naturalpath or someone very trained in detoxing. I have put myself through detoxing/cleansing programs and it is very tricky. You can feel pretty bad while going through them.

Good luck to you. Hugs,

skierchik
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

has contributed to my FMS for sure. I also think that when people start getting tested with the new normal levels which were adjusted of late, then many more people will be showing thyroid disorders.

Love Anne C
  7. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! EVERYONE SHOULD DETOX THE LIVER, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. I AM USING IONIC THERAPY AND MY ENERGY LEVEL HAS DOUBLED. THERE IS SOME THING TO IT. WE STORE UP ALL THE MEDS. AND JUNK OVER THE YEARS AND IT HAS TO COME OUT SOME WHERE AND ITS USUALLY PAIN. WHY WOULD ANYONE BE HURT AT YOU FOR TELLING THE TRUTH????? HUGS VERTIE
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I am so glad to hear that you're doing better. Tell me about the Ionic Therapy. What are you doing exactly?

And thanks for the support, I appreciate it. I guess telling people that their meds are likely making them sicker is not what they want to hear when they're in pain. Can't blame them.

skierchik
  9. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Once again we agree on something. First the bio-cleanses and 2nd how our bodies are toxic.

After I left the FFC and started with a new doctor who does bioresonance testing he discovered my body was toxic with mercury. My lab work at the FFC said my mercury levels were ok.

Anyway, I have been in treatment since 1/10 and my brain seems clearer. I'm waiting for memory and concentration to get better but I feel I'm on the right track.

I bought a book back in 2001 titled 'Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & Environmental Illness' by Burton Goldberg. In this book it talks about topics such as: 1. testing 2. eliminating viruses, infections, candidiasis and parasites 3. restoring immune vitality 4. detoxifying the body 5. reversing hidden thyroid problems 6. eliminating heavy metal toxicty 7. replenishing enzyme deficiencies 8. addressing the allergy connection 9. ending nutritional deficiencies with supps 10. healing phycho & emotional factors and 11. correcting chronic fatigue with herbs.

When I read it back in 2001 I thought this could be my answer to my problems. However, finding a doctor who would agree was another story.

Fast forward 5 years...I am now seeing an internal medicine doc who has started doing bioresonance testing (which was described in the book). He was seeking solutions for his own health problems when he went to NY to train with the person who developed Quantum Field Control Therapy.

He trained last summer and started seeing patients in Sept. I am so happy I found him. It's going to take time but now I definitely feel their is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm also happy for you that you have found your new doctor. He sounds wonderful!! Good luck with your treatment.

Auntyemna
  10. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Thanks for your support and kind words. I bet your're going to feel so much better soon!!! Keep us posted because you're on the right track.

You're not going to believe what he has me taking or maybe you will. Anyway, I have to take upon arising...200 mg glutathione under the tongue, 1 tsp raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey - let it liquefy in mouth, then swallow it, and 8oz water with 2000mg ascorbic acid (nothing else added to the vit c)and 1000mg of bioflavinoids. Not too bad huh?

But then, I have to take (anytime) 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup olive oil and blend, then add some probiotics, colostrum, glutamine, zinc carnosine and again 1 TBSP of raw unfiltered honey all mixed together. You take like 1 TBSP for 2 days, then 1 heaping tsp for however many days it takes to rebuild the intestinal mucosa. Yuk, that one doesn't sound fun. I start this tonight.

I also have to start doing these detox bathes where one day I add baking soda and then progress to b.soda and Epsom salts, then just Epsom salts. He has other very specific instructions for this. 7days on 7 days off, etc. This is just the start of the detox process.

What does your doc have you doing exactly. I am not familiar with bioresonance.

Hugs,

skierchik

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2006]
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

I am certain that my thyroid went "off" as soon as I came down with CFS. I went immediately from being freezing cold in our Ottawa winter to being so hot that I wore a spring coat outside to do yard duty.

I was insistent for years that there was something wrong with my thyroid but my GP tested my levels and they always came back "normal". I eventually convinced him to do an ultrasound and it was discovered that my thyroid is quite enlarged and I have Hashimoto's.

I have been on Synthroid and Cytomel and my new endocrinologist has agreed to have me take an extra Cytomel at 4 pm every day. If I would only remember to take it!

Bottom line, I do think that thyroid plays a big part in these DD's and I wish that the doctors would all look past the blood tests!

Skierchik, you have found an amazing doctor! You are very lucky.

Pepper
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thank you all for replies! I was thinking back, and we have a couple of relatives that was diagnosed with thyroid problems way back. The rest of us bragged we never had problems, but now I think of it, me, my brother and mother have FM, and it seem so connected with thyroid. The values they go by are often way off and few docs are read up on the real problems people have with thyroid. Everyone seem to have their own very personal "comfort level" value wise. I am sad to see how slow the medical community is in checking more than TSH and maybe T4. The T3 is superimportant to check, the other can look within norm. I heard Mary Hashimoto mention that 20% of people with thryroid disease remained undiagnosed for reasons mentioned above among others. I find this to be an interesting theory! Oh, and another thing, both me and mom had bad problems during pregnancy (eclampsia) and after our first pregnancy- both of us developed panic-attacks (mine are gone now) which now looks like wacky thyroid levels post partum!
  13. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Wow, those are weird things he has you taking. At this point I think we're willing to try anything. The one good thing is your doc was highly recommended. I definitely feel alternative medicine is the way to go.

Do a search on field control therapy. I have everything posted in that thread of what I'm doing. I've probably missed a few details. I need to go back to the thread and re-read it to make sure I've got everything listed.

I've been doing epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide baths. If you don't mind, please give me your actual plan for your detox baths. I'd like to give them a try.

My doctor didn't say anything about doing detox baths. I'm just doing them on my own.....plus I didn't say anything to him because I don't want him to tell me to stop doing detox baths.

Oh, I almost forgot...what does the concoction with the stick of butter suppose to do?

Auntyem
  14. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Well, the butter, olive oil thing is supposed to rebuild intestinal mucosa. My blood labs showed lots of inflamation including GI inflamation. The protocol is not clear, so I put a call into him this morning. I started to blend everything together and realized the directions left some things very unclear, so I haven't actually started it yet. Hopefully, I will later today.

Regarding the bathes, this is exactly what the sheet says:

Take a detox bath by soaking 20 min. in 101-105 degree water with the following additives...
    Day 1 & 2: Add 1 cup baking soda to bath water
    Day 3, 4 & 5: Add 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup Epsom salts to bath water.
    Day 6 & 7: Add 1 cup Epsom salts to bath water.

- As you soak in tub, continue to add hot water as needed to keep the temperature up.

- The goal is to break a sweat. Once you have done so, start draining the tub while you are rinsing off in the shower spray wth luke warm water. This will wash the toxins off your body and down the drain.

- To dry off, only pat your skin. Do Not Rub. Use a fresh towel each time from day 3 on. Do not reuse a towel during the Epsom salts protion of detox bath protocol, until you have laundered it.

- Do this 7 days, skip 7 days, repeat for 7 days. Repeat no more than 2 times (or 2-7 day intervals) per month. Otherwise, you will need to supplement with a borad-spectrum trace mineral. (I do that anyway)

For sensitive skin:
    Day 1 & 2: Add 1 cup baking soda with 1 TBSP comfrey root pwoder to bath water
    Day 3,4 & 5: Add 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup Epsom salts and 1 TBSP comfrey root powder to bath water
    Day 6 & 7: Add 1 cup Epsom salts, no baking soda and 1 TBSP comfrey root powder to bath water.

Note: If you are on municipal/chlorinated water, you may want to consider getting a carbon filter attached at the hydrant. Some people are sensitive to soaking in hot, chlorinated water.

I think detox bathes are really helpful. I've always done them, but not often. Recently, we went to Whistler, BC for a ski vacation that we had planned last Aug. I was really feeling badly before we had to go and was worried about being able to ski and have fun with our friends (who have NO health issues). Energy was very low and thyroid under medicated at the time. So, everynight in the hotel, I would take a detox bath. I bought these detox salts from Abra, a holistic company, and I felt better each day. I had some fevers going on, but I was still able to ski 3 days in a row, one day off and then two more ski days. I really feel that the bathes had alot to do with it.

Let me know how you feel while doing these. I will look up your posts.

Thank you,

skierchik
  15. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Thank you, thank you for your information. Hopefully I can start them tomorrow.

Auntyem
  16. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I forgot....once you hear from your doctor about the butter and olive oil thing, would you please post it?

Thanks,
    Auntyem
  17. cat0993

cat0993 New Member

I have had Hashimoto's dx since I was 19 (I'm 40 now). My endo has always told me that Immune diseases never travel alone. He said that most of his Hashi patients have Lupus and/or FM. When I 1st started with the unexplained symptoms (which were also thyroid symptoms) a year ago, he felt pretty certain it was Lupus. Rheumy dx as FM. Endo told me that Lupus would "probably come up sometime in my future".

Cat
  18. Juloo

Juloo Member

It has taken me a really long time to find someone to look at the right thing for thyroid. I'd say, out of the (about) 9 years that I've been struggling with CF -- and later, mild FM -- the last four or five have been overlapped with hypothyroid symptoms. I can't tell you how many times how many doctors have tested me!

Finally, with the FFC, Dr. Bullington looked at SYMPTOMS AND tested -- this time for T3 and rT3. I am now on T3. I have also made some dietary changes (along w/all the others treatments...) and, since the beginning of January have lost ****21.5*** lbs.!!!! (That's as of this morning!)

I can't say that it is just melting off, but it is a lot easier to not feel hungry, and I still have some energy left over in the evenings for 30 minutes on the treadmill.
  19. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi Lena, I put a post on here today concerning Thyroid testing. Along with TSH I am being tested for free t3/free t4 by dialysis, this is a blood test, but not sure what the "dialysis" component is all about. Anyone else shed some light?? ~thanks~

Laura
  20. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Wow! I am so happy for you! I had typical hyper symptoms for many years, then the past 2-3 years I had the total opposite, and gained 30 pounds out of nowhere. no lifestyle changes, and I eat as I always did. I think it's thyroid among other things.