Anyone read"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Have any of you read the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia"? I'm just curious.

I've just started it and it's about the guaifenesin protocol. I'm not that far into it and you all are probably light years ahead of me on all of this, but it does make it appear that there is hope in reversing this. It claims that the protocol can reverse the symptoms.

Do any of you know anything about this or have any personal experience with guaifenesin or know anything about Dr. R. Paul St. Amand? I know that there are a few ladies that are trying it right now on the board. That's part of what caught my attention, but I'm still "relatively" new to all of this, so I don't know if this is actually a good thing or not.

Is this for real or just another false hope? It has made for some interesting bed time reading.
  2. Jude

Jude New Member

There are several people on the board that have been helped by the guaifenesin protocol as written by Dr R. Paul StAmand. Like every other treatment, there are some that it does not work for. Keep on reading your book and check out the web site listed in the book. I work with people in person who want to learn the protocol. So I actually see people getting better. Good Luck to you.

Jude
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I've posted my experience, opinions and knowledge of this protocol on the board here, so I won't repeat myself. If you want to read them, you can look under my profile and look for the posts..

- julie (is free!)

Nobody wins
    slammin' doors
    we've both lost this fight
    before
    and I won't play
    this game no more
    'cause nobody wins.. - Radney Foster
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can read our old posts. I've been on the Guai four years now and am about 90 percent reversed. I also have CFIDS, so I'm not well but at least, I am free to concentrate on finding threatments for the CFIDS. The Guai has been a God send for me.

Jude knows more about the Guai treatment than anyone. She is a great help to our members. Please read the book and reread any sections that you need to. If you still have questions, ask away.

Love, Mikie
  5. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Mrs. Jethro...yes, I have read the book and have been on the protocol for 3 months. As Jude said, there are some of us that have been using guai recently, and there are others who have had good success with the protocol.

I am trying the protocol because I have tried just about everything else out there with no success. This protocol is the only treatment I have found that reverses the symptoms of FMS. I was spiraling downward and had to do something.

I have a few better hours here and there, but I know that it is a long-term process. Jude has given you good info. Those of us that are relatively new are posting here frequently, and the post titles will always have "Guai" in them so that you can search for them.

We'd love to have you join us...it is pretty neat to have our own on-line support group. There are some great people like Jude and Mikie who are very helpful to us.

Blessings and good luck...Ann
  6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I recognize some of your screen names from other posts. I've done a few searches on just "Guai" and haven't gotten to read but a few of them so far.

Jude that is absolutely awesome that you do that. I had no idea. Can you give me any kind of idea what the actual success rate is that you see personally. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but it is still encouraging that it does reverse the symptoms for some.

Thank you Julie, now I can look in my posts and link back to yours and read them. That helps me a lot. I look forward to reading about your experience. I've also wanted to tell you for some time that I really love the way that you change your lyrics (for lack of a better word) when you post. I enjoy them all.

Mikie that is very inspiring also. I'm going to have to watch my myself. I am so eager to learn that I end up losing sleep and reading and that is not healthy for me. I'm making myself worse trying to make myself better....
    I'm very new at this.

Ann, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post. If you are just starting this then I am guessing that you are going through some tough times right now. I'm not sure, I'm still in the first part of the book and not to the actual protocol just yet. If you are posting your experiences here while you are doing this, then I will link back to your posts and keep up with your progress. Thank you so much for sharing this.

And lastly to all of you. This has been a very consuming thing and I have actually just faced the fact that I am really sick, just today. I have been trying to get by on denial and that wasn't working. I didn't want to look at myself that way. Thank you all so much for sharing these very person and inspiring experiences with me. I feel honored.
    I will keep you all in my prayers...

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of us used denial to get as far as we could. I kept toughing it out and litterally worked myself into being bedridden and on Morphine five years ago. It was then that I decided to recognize my illnesses and try to do something about them.

The Guai Protocol was the first thing I did for myself. I'm so glad I did. Over the last five years, I've learned a lot and done a ton of research. This has led to treatments which are helping.

The biggest thing these illnesses have taught me is patience. The treatments which have helped me have been soooooooo slooooooow. Still, looking back, I've made progress, especially with the FMS and the Guai.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  8. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Good morning...I enjoyed reading your kind posts to everyone. And yes, as Mikie said, I used denial for a long time...then anger...then what am I going to DO about this?

I wish that I would have tried guai earlier. Actually I did, but didn't get rid of the salicylates...therefore, it didn't work. It is challenging, but if you can face FMS, you can do the protocol. It has given me hope of getting better!

Love to you, and I, too, keep the guai ladies (no men so far) in my prayers each day....Ann
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was so deep in denial to control my pain that one day, I cut my leg open on the car door. I didn't even realize it until my Mom saw all the blood. That was an eye opener. I knew what I had been doing wasn't healthy. Denial and anger take so much energy. Once we can attain acceptance, we are free to use that energy to heal. Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  10. janieb

janieb New Member

You've definitely come to the right place.

I started about a month ago, after readying the book and finding a doctor who has used the protocol with some success. So much of it depends on us, and I was such a green horn, and still am. But, there are people who can help you and answer your questions.

After three weeks of guai, I started feeling really crappy. Had several bad days and a couple of very bad nights. In fact, Mikie was very encouraging and gave me lots of information, as did others. I am still not positive I'm cycling, but I awoke this morning and announced to the world that"I feel great."

Now beginning to flag, but a couple of good hours make me hope it's working. I have about 15 years to reverse.

Blessings,

janieb