Anyone read yet?! WPI Replication Study to be had!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karynwolfe, Mar 31, 2010.

1. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Posted by ProHealth at the top of the main forum page:

They're going to use the XMRV-positives from the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI) study as the control group! AND they're going to use the Canadian Criteria to select their patients, just like WPI did! AND it's funded by a major pharmaceutical firm so we know they'll have enough money to complete the study.

This is the most hope I've had for these studies since Science published the original. These other "faux interest" groups didn't bother to do a REAL replication study (as stated by the WPI themselves after each one of those lowsy attempts were published!), so they never found anything, they never found any XMRV. This time, they could really find something, I think!

I hope, I hope.
  2. quanked

quanked Member

It is good news. I did not see who "they? were so I copied and pasted what is below.

1. Replication Study of Whittemore-Peterson XMRV Findings

“Glaxo Smith Kline, a pharmaceutical firm in Research Triangle Park, NC,

has funded a new study that will evaluate CFS patients with characteristics similar to the Science paper. CFS patients known to have XMRV from the Science paper will be used as a positive control. This study is designed to estimate the prevalence of XMRV in CFS subjects (selected by the modified Fukuda criteria and the Canadian criteria) and healthy control subjects.
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Oh, right! I was so caught up in my happiness I forgot to mention that detail. =) Thank you, quanked
  4. bakeman

bakeman New Member

Studies performed by pharmacudical companies can have skewed results depending on what outcome they desire. So the questions are; what conclusion do they wish to reach, or will it be an honest study? what are their motives? ect....

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

If they don't find any virus, they can't produce anything to make billions off of...

Thanks for offering your perspective
  6. quanked

quanked Member

7. quanked

quanked Member

8. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Wish they would pick people like us who have suffered for so very long for their study.
    Glaxo-Smith-Kline is a pretty cutting edge pharmaceutical so I hope it works the way WPI's did, we could get help before we are all out of our minds with this.