Anyone reading any good books?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleK, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if those of you who like to read have read anything good lately. I am always on the prowl for a good novel. I like to escape through books when my brain will allow me to concentrate.

Sending you all some love and a hug, MicheleK
  2. Spacey

Spacey Member

I just read the hungar games trilogy. I actually quite enjoyed them. Spacey
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'm currently reading the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. There are 18 books in the series, with four "inbetween" books. "Notorious Nineteen" comes out on November 20 of this year. They are light reading and fun to read.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have gotten hooked on Scandinavian mystery writers - there are very many of them out there now and I'm working my through them. I lead a very dull life too, and enjoy reading books set in different countries.

So here's a list of Scandinavian mystery authors I've sampled. I look them up on Amazon books and then order ones I'm interested in from my library:

Karin Fossum
    Arnaldur Indridason
    Stieg Larrson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy -very good thriller!)
    Asa Larsson
    Henning Mankell
    Hakan Nesser
    Johan Theorin (he's especially good)

I have read a lot of British (or Scottish) mystery authors as well, including Agatha Christie, Reginald Hill, Minette Walters, Deborah Crombie, Colin Dexter, Ian Rankin, Denise Mina, Martha Grimes and Elizabeth George.

Murder mysters are like junk food to me - I can't get enough! They are my favorite form of relaxation.

Also am rereading Jane Eyre for the umpteenth time, one of my all-time favorite books, if not the favorite.

5. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thanks everyone. I did read Stieg Larrson. I have heard Elizabeth George is good. I think I will try one of her books.

For some reason I just could never get into Martha Grimes or Grafton. I found the stories a bit boring and unconnected.

A good book for a thriller is Dean Koontz's Lightening. It is not a scary book but really good!

I am getting ready to read Nelson DeMille's new short story book just out. I will let you know how it was.

It would be great to have a bit of a book club here on ProHealth.

Hugs, MicheleK
  6. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

are ANYTHING by Morgan Llywelen (historical fiction) especially The Lion of Ireland, Pride of Lions and the historical series. Frank McCourt, Dean Koontz, Nora Roberts and the Chicken Soup books when I want a book I can pick up and put down repeatedly. And I just started reading some of the classics again. I'll always love Bram Stoker's Dracula far better than the Twilight books, Jane Austen, Mark Twain. And I've read all of the Harry Potter books!
  7. stacim18

stacim18 New Member

So I have chronic back and neck pain and have recently read the book, "Zero Pain Now" it's a really good book. it was very informative and it really did help with my pain. Here is the link for it. Hope it works for you!

[ url removed by moderator ]
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Aren't books wonderful! A wonder of the modern world. Well, we didn't have
    them until the Renaissance, at least not in their current form.

I have been reading some Norskie books too, Mary. Rankin and Mankell. I
    think there was another one, but I can't remember his name. I think he won
    the same award Steig Larsson did. Maybe it was Mankell. After 20 years
    of brain fog I made the segue to Alz. If I get any dumber I'll be able to
    run for office.

I like authors who are prolific. Margaret Mitchell and Harper Lee wrote
    one wonderful book apiece. What good is that for voracious readers?

If you want something exotic in a mystery, try Donna Leon. She is an
    American who lives in Venice. Has written several detective stories with
    interesting characters.

I read the two books of Frank McCourt that followed Angela's Ashes.
    My mother kept telling me to read the Ashes book, but I didn't want to
    read about a miserable childhood. Had one of my own.

Am currently rereading a Dave Barry novel. He gets my vote for America's
    most prolific humorist.

9. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

Got a Kindle for Christmas. I love to read, mostly mystery and suspense. A good book is such a wonderful escape. John Grisham never disappoints. I am rereading Crime & Punishment & Jaws!! That is a page turner. Reading takes yer mind off the pain and the many side effects.
    Yes a book club sounds great. They will probably make us use another message board for it. But heck,sounds great.[This Message was Edited on 07/17/2012]
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Tonight I started A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. So far it is good.

This is a Reader's Digest Large print book and also has another book with it called Sweet Misfortune that looks pretty good too.

I enjoy reading too and most of the the normal small print is very hard on my eyes.
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I too like authors who are prolific. You're right - what good is Harper Lee who only wrote one of the best books ever? :)

I have read a couple of Donna Leon mysteries and enjoyed them too. Cara Black is also very good - hers are set in Paris and are fun to read, not least for the fabulous setting. She has a wonderful heroine who you root for all the way.

I did read Angela's Ashes and highly recommend it. Parts were hard to read, but it was worth it. It's much more than a book about a miserable childhood, and a much better book than 'Tis, the only other book of his I've read.

Dave Barry is great too.

The library is my favorite place to go, when I have the energy.

Have you ever tried phosphatidylserine? It is supposed to be very good for memory and I think it is, based on experience. But I'm beginning to think lecithin may be just as good if not better, and a whole lot cheaper

12. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I just finished the last one.....piecing it here and there when they came available at the library.

He writes as an Israeli spy, with a cover life as an art restorer. He travels around from England, Rome, Israel and other countries. In the end he and his research team always get their bad guy. Not only is it exciting but it opens up history for me. I've learned so much.....of course it's slanted toward Israel but it has caused me to do more research on things he's written.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

14. Trnsplntsyr

Trnsplntsyr Member

Hi there everyone.
    I Love to read to. I am started on the Jansen bourne series after I watched the movies with me son. I just finished the Blind side about the football player m. orer now I know a little about football. I read Abraham Lincoln imprinter hunter. I read all of the love everlasting series. Micherner's convent, Perl s Buck is great. If you like humor Erma bombick books are very funny. I was born a reader but not a speller. Books were my friends I read allot Because I could go no where I live in the country on top of a hill. No where to go was down or to the top of the next hill.
    All these years a reader my mom did not notice. In 2008 she saw books on the shelf and She said_"I did not know you knew how to read."
    With fibro It is sometimes the only thing you can do. My son was not born a reader But maybe He be one after he finishes Friday night lights. he is 23 years old and to become a reader of books it is never to late to become one.
    Hopefully I gave you some suggestions. When i was little every movie I watched i all ways looked for who wrote the book. What was the title and I tried to find the book to read. Movies are sometimes very different than the book. But I enjoyed them all.
  15. jole

jole Member

Reading is the most wonderful thing available to take our minds off of pain. And also that my Kindle is my best friend :)

There was a Book Club on the Chit Chat board for quite awhile, and it would be great to see it started back up again. For those of you who have not visited the Chit Chat board, it's a wonderful place to be!!

I've written down some suggestions from all of you....heading to my Kindle now...
  16. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

So what kind of book club was on the site before. One where everyone reads the same book and then talks about it, or one where we read a book and let everyone know how we liked it?

I am currently reading "Life Sentence" by Dan Ellis. It took 85 pages to really start grabbing my interest, but it's good now. I got a couple of his books after someone recommended him. I am hoping the second one will not take 85 pages to get to some of the excitement!

If anyone has not read Mary Higgins Clark, she has many mysteries that are very good and not a swear word to be found. Rare these days!

I have a Literati reader. I got it as a gift. I thought I would never like an e-reader, since I just love books all around me. But I was wrong. I love the e-readers, especially at night when you can read in bed with the lights off and just tuck the thing on the bedstand or under a pillow when you are ready to fall asleep.
  17. jole

jole Member

If I remember correctly, it was somewhat like this post....talking about books read, and also reading a particular book and discussing for those who wanted to. I believe Ken Holmes started it, but is rarely on this site anymore.

Mary Higgins Clark....I used to read every book I could get my hands on, but kinda burned out. It seemed every one had the same story line after awhile and I knew what was happening before it happened. Too bad I didn't use a greater variety of authors back then:)
  18. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Jole, I agree that the past 5 years or so Mary Higgens Clark's books did become much less than they use to be. She is elderly now and I imagine having to churn out book after book for her publisher has become more challenging.

Her previous novels were oh so good! I've read a couple of her daughter's books (Carol Higgens Clark), but they are different than her mom's. She has a lot of humor in hers. I have one here waiting to be read in my stack of hardcover books.

I am finishing up Love & Fatigue in America and David Ellis's Life Sentence. After that I will pull out the e-reader and get going on Nelson DeMille's new short story. Can't wait for his new novel to come out. I start one of his books and can't put them down.

Ken Follet also is absolutely excellent to read.

I suppose we can just keep up a thread on who's reading what books or seens good movies. Having to rest so much I am always on the lookout for some low key entertainment.

PITATOO Member

So hard for me to concentrate on books. I do a lot of books on "cd" as I travel a lot for work. But hard to find good books anymore, very few and far between. Most are garbage put out anymore. My "escapeism" mostly comes in forms of a good move, watch a lot of IFC films, but better than blockbusters as I feel these are films that the good actors really want to make. So very rare I find a good movie at Theatre anymore either. TV, forget it. Unless it's True Blood which I am hooked on, and that's pure escapism and totally crazy but love it.