Anyone remember their grandma or mom drinking this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, May 2, 2010.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I remember my grandma drinking this brown powdered stuff in a cup with hot water and she added milk & sugar to it like coffee because she wouldn't drink anything with caffiene in it because of her religion beliefs.

I was talking with a friend about this, and neither one of us can remember the name of this stuff and its driving me crazy since I can't remember.

I want to say it started with the letter "P".

Thanks![This Message was Edited on 05/03/2010]
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Postum? It came in a glass jar with a blue and white label, looked like instant coffee. It is a natural product, contains no caffeine, and is considered a substitute for coffee. My father-in-law used to drink it all the time years ago.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's probably Postum. Wikipedia says they don't make it anymore.

A product of the same guy that developed Post Toasties. Was popular w/ the
    Mormons since no caffeine.

4. rocky76

rocky76 Member

I saw it at Safeway just the other day....
    and wondered who bought it....
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I was just looking at 'coffee substitutes' at wikipedia, and they said it was no longer made. LOL somebody needs to update their page; maybe someone bought the name? Or maybe there's renewed demand. I know it can be hard to find.

There's also chicory as a coffee sub, popular in the south and no sugar or wheat...

Anybody like ovaltine? I love malt flavor, it's hard to find...
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

There actually are alternative products similar to Postum (still on the market) such as Roastaroma, Pero, and Cafix(sp?) --all caffeine free, natural coffee alternatives.

7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I finally remembered it during the night :) Great job everyone for answering.
  8. rocky76

rocky76 Member

of old hippies...LOL
    so its still in our store..
    I remember I had a boyfriend back in the 80's
    who wanted me to dump coffee and drink Postum..
    I hated the taste and missed my coffee so I dumped
    my boyfriend instead of the coffee...
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Not sure what all it contained and not sure if I ever tasted it either but somehow I do remember it.

Somehow I answered your post BEFORE reading what any of the others said. Gee, how did I do that?? I guess I am not the only OLD :) one around that remembared it. Somehow it popped into my head right away.

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2010]