Anyone retain water in their feet/legs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lumediluna, Aug 11, 2005.

1. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Hi all,

I just started retaining water in my feet on Sunday.....started on my left foot and now to my right. They are pretty swollen. Now my legs also hurt & knees.
    I went to Emergency care (not the ER) and they took my blood, did and ekg - ekg was fine.....now they want me to go back and have an ultrasound done on them to check for other stuff. I am pretty concerned.

Does this happen to any of you.....even around your period time, heat, meds etc? Thanks for your input!
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

sorry you are having a rough time.

I know my regular Dr checks my feet and ankles when I get my checkups every 3 months. But I can't for the life of me remember why right now, though he has told me. What a big help I am huh?

Well at the very least I am bumping for help!!
    I hope you find some answers.

JL

3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have the same problem and have had the ultrasound on my legs twice. They are looking for blood clots and you get the results right away - at the test - so no waiting. Hopefully they will not find anything of concern there. But they have given me no explanation for the painful swelling. This summer with the wicked humidity Chicago has had I have been pretty miserable...it not only causes a flare but the swelling is definitely worse!

I think my swelling is caused by my weight because it gets progressively worse as the day goes on and with more walking I do the worse it gets. I do take a diuretic for high blood pressure so I try to watch my salt intake too. I do notice that if I elevate my feet when I get home after work the swelling goes down. I walk a lot both at work and commuting and my being fat just can't be helping me.

I am only 43 but my Mother has had this for years so there might be some heriditary issues too. Good luck and don't worry about the ultrasound - it is a precaution.
    Let us know what happens....Nancy
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I retain as much as 10 to 15 pounds of fluid a day. It is terriable....

This has been happening with me every sence FM ...I dont know if its anyway related but thats when it started and has only gotten worse over the years. I swell the most in my feet and legs, but also have some swelling to my hands, face and back. I take a fluid pill but it only seems to help for a little. The more I stand,sit and walk the worse I swell. Like Nancy really the only thing that helps some is when I lay down.

Like Nancy also, I have yet to get any real answers as to why im swelling so bad. Several years ago they did a Echo Cardiogram on my heart to make sure it wasent coming from my heart. I also did the 24 hour urine sample...and tons of blood work, all came back ok...

But I have never had a ultasound or even x-rays on my legs and feet. Think im going to demand one. It is such a miserable feeling and it doesent look to pretty either. I have pitting with it...I can push on my legs and it leaves a big indent.

Please keep us posted on how your test go!! I hope all turns out well.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've always had a problem retaining fluid and since I've been taking Xyrem (lots of salt in that), I've had to start taking lasix at least 5 times a week!!

My rings are either too tight, or they are falling off!! I'm sure lack of exercise plays a part in this, too.

abbylee
  6. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

I am have swelling of my feet and hands. It is very miserable

so I sympathize with all of you. I am actually taking two

different diaretics one of them lasix because of all the

water retention. All that does is make me go to the bathroom

15 to 20 times a day and my feet are still swollen. They have

also done the heart tests on me and found that it has nothing

to do with my heart.

I retain the water so much I get craters in my feet like
    someone else mentioned and then

after taking my meds I pee alot and sweat alot. I do

not know which is worse. I still have my doctor working

on the issue too.
  7. nozomi

nozomi New Member

I also retain water in my hands and feet and I do take diuretics every day. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes I still feel like someone has beaten my hands and feet.
  8. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

from the ultrasound on my legs. Everthing is fine. Except the doc said I was anemic and my blood pressure is pretty high. Normally is is 118(or120)/80 is kepy coming out high at 142/80 - weird!!!!! Last time I had my blood pressure checked a few weeks ago, it was high like that too.
    So, he just prescribed me some kind if diaretic.
    Fun stuff to do when you don't have the time, feel well etc.......but at least it wasn't a blood clot in my legs!
    Thanks for all of your info!!
    I wish you a good weekend :)
  9. pmj952

pmj952 New Member

The BP medication with diuretic will surely help you feel tons better in a very short period of time! This happened to me about a year ago and the results are fast and well worth the hassle.
    Hugs,
    Deb J.
  10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Thanks so much for the update...

So relieved to hear there are no Blood Clots...

I do hope you will find some relief from the swelling....

Think im going to go ahead and ask for a ultrasound and x-rays on my legs just to be sure...only thing I havent had done yet pertaining to all this fluid retention...

Hugs
    Bluerose
  11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I'm glad it wasn't blood clots. I'm sure you are very uncomfortable with the swelling. I hope the diuretics help.

High blood pressure can cause serious problems so watch that ok. Stop the coffee LOL (send the kids to grandmas...I believe kids can raise your blood pressure!!!)hahaha

Do you think it has anything to do with you recent med change?

Anyway let me know whats up girl!

Your friend,
    JL

guess we've been out of our loop lately. sorry to hear its because you've been under the weather.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2005]
  12. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

...your heart. Since I was a very little girl, I have always watched people's feet and ankles to see the health of someone's heart.

Do you have access to a good doctor of acupuncture? Acupuncture can be excellent for this sort of thing if you willingly help them along by changing your diet and doing exactly what they tell you to do. I am absolutely shocked at how quickly acupuncture can work to heal something that is wrong or an imbalance in my own body.

The day after I go, usually I don't feel terrific. I think my body is adjusting or something. The day after that, I start to feel much better. The third day, I feel like a new person until I do something stupid to throw myself out of balance :).

I went to see my Eastern medicine doctor of acupuncture yesterday because I used bleach on my teeth that caused the insides of my mouth to break out in painful bumps and lumps...badly, all over. I've found that these days I can control the pain in my body if I don't expose myself to allergens...and this was one great big allergen, and I was in a fair amount of pain all over, not just in my mouth.

While the pain in my body has not entirely left yet, before I even left the doctor's office yesterday, the bumps inside my mouth had already started to recede. Today they are gone. I am sure that by tomorrow, I will not hurt anywhere anymore.

Though I don't know what is causing the swelling in your feet, I hope you will explore acupuncture to see if it can work as well for you. At the least, it will do no harm, and you could be very happy with the results.

I hope you feel better soon!

13. tansyone

tansyone New Member

My feet ankles and lower legs go from huge to impossible
    as I have Congestive Heart Failure AND Peripheral Artery Disease (narrowing of the arteries in the legs which causes circulation to slow down).
    I take a strong diuretic (Bumex) twice a day... anyone on diuretics PLEASE ask your Doc especially in the hot season but year round what they would like you to do about your potassium. I am on both and no body has mentioned their potassium...too high or too low can stop a heart...please think this through and take good care of yourselves.
    Hugs..
  14. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

Since being diagnosed with FMS, and since it has flared up I have had swollen feet and ankles--some days much worse than others. I have had heart tests of various kinds and no problems.

Just wondering because it seems that many of us are bothered by this with no other explanation. I have noticed it in other posts.

Of course I know that we must check all symptoms just in case. Glad you seem to be OK and have gotten some things to help you improve.

Nancy
  15. Diagoras

Diagoras New Member

Elevating my feet seems to help, though. I tried medical support socks. They worked for a while but now when I put them on, they hurt my feet. Maybe I need a lighter support. They don't swell up as much as when I first bought the socks.

For what it's worth, if you want to try support hose or support socks you can buy them in a vast array of support levels and styles at http://www.supportplus.com
  16. Mochakitty

Mochakitty New Member

Hi,

I have retained water in my ankles,feet and hands every since being diagnosed with FM 3 years ago. The last 6 months or so, my arms are retaining water and pitting. Just the upper arm. It makes wearing a sleeveless shirt pretty strange since the rest of me is average weight.

Yes the heat and humidity make it much worse. Many medications, i.e., Neurontin have caused major swelling everywhere.

Around my period, it is much worse, not much we can do about that.

I think it is pretty safe to say, once you have been checked for other causes, that FM does cause fluid retention.

I have not found a solution yet....Good luck
  17. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Thanks to you all for your responses, concerns and great info!! (this is long :)

What other heart tests could I do to really check it out - like ultrasound? Heart disease runs in my family big time. My dad was recently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and I had to take care of him for a few days; my mom's side has some heart, circulations stuff - England - I swear, that is where I get my anxiety -the English in me lol.

What happened is I got to much sun when we went camping, a little sun burned on my legs and face - trying to keep up with my little one on the beach. I covered my children (always) loaded them up with sun-screen....mine was on light. They were fine. I also was ready to start my period ANY day and I did the next day, so that could have contributed to the whole water rentention stuff (the stuff us ladies go through)

The GP seems to think it is some reaction to the Duragesic patch and too much sun. The instructions say don't get too hot; no hot tubs etc. I asked the pharmacist about that, and he said it usually is put in there for people with sensitive skin. When it was time to change a patch, it literally ripped my skin; I have this rectangle shape line of a scab where it was! I thought it was the tape, but it isn't.
    I also lost 1 patch, still never found it, then I lost another one, found that one in our bed. So they are waisted EXPENSIVE meds, plus I can't get into my doctor early so I have to live in some major pain coming up here. I am not sure if they really care? My husband is getting pretty ticked off because they NEVER return my phone calls for days unless you raise a stink. Then they all say they NEVER got my message. I am not stupid! I should bring in my phone bill next time to show them I called them....lol.
    I am not that kind of person. I guess because it is a pain clinic and they might have to be strict, which I understand - but it is frustrating when your BP is high, you can't walk and Dr.s say it could be the meds I am on! But I have heard other wonderful stories of other Drs. returning calls etc...working with them. I just have to be patient with them I guess?!
    I don't have very much breakthrough meds and the Soma works but the other one doesn't.....practically at all. That really sucks! Back to the Ton of Tylenol/Ibuprophen!

Oh yeah, I did order the covers for the patches and they work awesome!!! They can't come off with those awesome covers......even in a bath. I explained to the Duragesic Co. exactly what happened and that I have children and if they found them and picked it up, it could do some major harm - they completly understood and sent them right out.

I am just burnt on how time comsuming, & the effort of trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my body! I am sure you all get like that too! Do you, or am I the only one? I TOTALLLY can relate with you all who do. It can be depressing. It is like I don't have time for this stuff. I have a family, kids, soccer, homework and other stuff to do.

When you find a med that works, and THEN you could potentially have some serious side affects....SUCKS!!!! How long do you give a medication to fine tune the side affects. I have NEVER had this many side affects to some recent meds I have been put on. I wonder if it is God telling me to just give up one the meds and suck it up and deal with it, but how?!!!

I have to go back to the GP this week; he wants to monitor my blood pressure/etc. He seems like the only one concerened.....he is the one who ordered the EKG, ultrasound, blood work etc.

This leg swelling happened to me when I was pregnant with my last baby; got to much sun (I have light skin) and I couldn't walk for two days.
    Who knows.
    If you all have any more info on more tests I should do, please let me know. EKG was good, no blood clots. They also said I could be sensitive to sun since I am light.

This post is late for me, or early in the morning to you all back east :) I couldn't sleep - have a raging migraine and just took a butt load of tylenol and Ibuprophen hoping it will kick in.....you know you put ice on......come back and type....repeat.
    Sleep is SOOOOOOOOO key to helping our condition. I also took and ambien. I think I will go read something positive and maybe I can get to sleep.

Night night and good morning to some!

I REALLY appreciate your time and any more info you can give me or experiences with people with same thing, anything you think may help, I really do thank you for your time! Thanks also for letting me vent :)

I hope you all have a decent Monday - hugs -
  18. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I am so sorry your going through all this.

Sence Heart Disease does run in your family, you could have a Echo-cardogram done on your heart....Its like a Ultrasound. I had one done on mine to check for any fluid around my heart and to see if there was some problem there causing my legs etc.. to swell.

I hope you will feel better soon and your doctor will become more understanding. We truly know how you feel, and anytime you need to Vent you go right ahead...It can be a help to just let it all out.

Best Wishes
    ((((Hugs))))
    Bluerose