Anyone rx'd Amantadine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I went to my rheumy a few days ago and he gave me a script for Amantadine for what I refer to as my "bone pain".

Ive never heard of it but ive searched it on this board and it seems that it may be an AV??

I was curious if anyone had any knowledge of it?

It would be even better to hear from people that have been on it and their exeriences, but any input is welcomed!

Also, have anyone ever heard of Medicare approving an appeal for Lyrica? Im currently on the second day of it so im not sure how it will go, but ive been told Medicare wont cover it and that id have to file an appeal.

Has anyone had any success getting Medicare to pay for Lyrica?

If anyone could help me with either of these things....please feel free...any and all input is welcome!!!

Hugs,
    Steph
  2. KathleenBruce

KathleenBruce New Member

Hi. I'm new to the board. I have been on Amantidine as a way to help pain medication work better. I did not find that it did much in this way, so I stopped using it. Just my experience. My doctor would like me now to try guanefisin, but I have a hard time swallowing cough syrup three times/day, so I have put it off, hoping to find it in pills.

Just my experience. Kathleen
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Welcome to the board!!

So your doc says that it increases the effectiveness of your pain medication? Well I dont know if its because its only been a few days, but Im not noticing anything!

At the end of the 2 weeks Ill probably be throwing it into the endless pit of medications ive been prescribed that havent worked.

Steph
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Amantadine is an antiviral. My doctor prescribes it for patients who have not tested as having as serious of viral problems as I do.

He gave me a prescription to use while I was waiting for my blood tests re my immune system to come back. I used it for a month and didn't see any effect.

He told me afterwards that it takes three months before any effect is seen. The good thing is that it is mild, with none of the herxing that characterizes other AV's.

Amantadine is supposed to be an anti-inflluenza AV. The others frequently mentioned onn the board (valcyte, famvir, valtrex, acyclovir) are anti-herpes av's.

I don't know when anti-influenza aV's might be useful.

Another interesting characteristic of Amantadine that I read a while back is that it can be useful in resolving the sexual difficulties that often accompany the use of SsRI antidepressants like Prozac. I don't know if this is true.

Anyway, if Amantadine is going to be tried for AV use, it seems necessary to give it three months.

Whether your doctors were prescribing Amantadine for its viral-killing activity or for some other peripheral effect (like one helping SSRI users), I don't know. If will be interesting to hear when you ask.

Guaif is now available in pill form. The name is something like Mucinex. It is sold over the counter at drugstores....should be in the cough syrup section. Ask your pharmacist etc. if you don't see it.

Best, Lisa