Anyone See "60 Minutes" Last Night?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The replay of the segment on the guy who may have found a cure for cancer was very interesting. He lives over on Sanibel Island not very far from where I live. He has leukemia and has gone through many series of chemo. He wants to live long enough to see his invention cure children with leukemia. It is the most promising treatment and if it works, it can cure all types of cancer.

I think it was on the same program that they showed a Buddhist retreat just outside of San Francisco. People there have chosen to live very simple lives. One can go there for a retreat or, it seems, choose to live there in peace and harmony. I doubt that many of us are willing to make such drastic changes in our lives but one theme keeps coming up again and again here on our board. People are finding that things and a hectic life, with the big career, aren't bringing them happiness nor peace. Many of us are shedding the material things which keep us hostage and are streamlining. I have been constantly doing it. I haven't been doing enough, though, and I am going to step up my efforts.

One of the silver linings of economic downturn is that it can force people to make choices. That is what is going on with my decision to give Comcast Cable the boot, except for only basic cable. I've felt restless for quite some time now and think I'm healed to the point of seeking a different lifestyle. I'm not yet sure of what all that entails but expect it to unfold as I get into simplifying.

Today, as I drove down the road to home, after just spending $63 to fill up 3/4 of my gas tank, I felt a sudden pang of gratitude for how abundant my life is. The sun was shining on our beautiful little area and the palm trees were swaying in the breeze. As expensive as gas is, I still have the ability to fill the tank. I'm very grateful for that. The price had even dropped a bit.

I used to love shopping and clothes. For some time, I have loved living here in the subtropics in tee shirts, flip-flop sandals, and shorts. There was a time of sadness that I'm too old now to enjoy the little sundresses and stiletto high heels the young girls wear but I've now accepted my aging body. It's almost a relief now. I feel at home in my body and don't need fancy clothes nor jewelry.

I'm not sure where all this rambling is leading. Is anyone else feeling change coming on? Are we seeking simpler lives with more meaning? When we change, the world changes, little by little. What would I be willing to give up for peace in the world? What would I be willing to give up to do away with all hunger? I know that in one of the heierarchies, the last stage is Generative. Perhaps I'm closing in. Who knows.

Love, Mikie
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I did watch 60 minutes last night. I had seen that story when they first ran it in April. I don't mind seeing them again, rather enjoy it, but would like them to give an update on what has happened since the previous airing.

I would like to know how that man is doing and if the testing is moving forward like he wants it to.

I'd like to know what happened to Jacob after they found him in that camp.

Some of those stories are so inspiring and more information on them would be wonderful.

As an aside: The young man who was the aid worker who helped them find Jacob looked like an actor playing an aid worker. You know what I mean? I don't think most of the aid workers actually look like the actors who protray them on TV and in the movies, but that guy looked like an actor! He could play himself instead of hiring a Hollywood hunk for the job!

3. jole

jole Member

Mikie, I didn't see the show, but wish I had. Although I'm agreeing with what you say and also feel the need for a more simplistic lifestyle, I am sad to say I felt it was more age related than anything.......

Yet, because of money issues, instead of buying our kids Christmas gifts last year we decided to have a get-together-this summer instead and pay the expenses. This past weekend we all (19 of us-kids, their spouses and grandkids) spent the weekend together at the lake.

We bought the food and paid for the lot permits. It was soooo much fun!! From the oldest (us) to the youngest (18 months) everyone had a great time, and they begged for us to do it again next year. The memories are much better than a gift forgotten a month later, and lots of pictures will keep it fresh in our minds.

Their lives are all so fast-paced and money-oriented just to stay afloat these days that it was such a treasure to just be able to relax and forget the world for a couple days and focus on what is important in life.

I think the younger ones need reminded of this fact, and for us older ones it is the passing of time and our imortality that has made it so for us. Things simply don't matter anymore. We are more into soul-searching and eternity these days.

Friends - Jole
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I did see that when it was first aired, wonderful man.

Re simple life. We have been trying to live this way for years, partly due to not having very much money due to DH's brain injury and enforced disability (low) for him and me as caregiver. I used to then work from home, but now Danny has been suffering with this undxd facial condition, I have less and less time.

I have never been much of a shopper, always been a dumpster diver, once furnished a whole house off Spring clean up day in the village we lived in! Even to a color TV!

What I have leaarned is that what many people call struggling financially, I call being rich...I guess my struggling financially would be considered very rich in some poor nation, so it is all semantics really.

I do think of people who will not recycle, leave very good quality stuff on the curb to be collected and then it gets rained upon rather than putting in a FREE ad or taking it to a thrift store. Women's shelters are always looking for good furniture for rehousing the women and kids.

You know when they do that "How to Save $200 a month" it would never work for me as none of the things not to do, we don't do anyway. It is amazing the bargains one can find-brand new tee shorts in pure cotton for $2 each at Rite Aid, sell downs at Big Lots-these are often cheaper than used stuff.

Eat less, try and walk more if one is able.

I always am shocked when people win the lottery and splash out on frivolities. Gee, I would maybe like a nicer house, but one with a barn, and nicer veggie plot, maybe on a lake to swim in? A newer model car. Maybe I would have Thermage, but most of it I would delight in building something useful for the community, helping victims of abuse, starting my own autism center, or helping a really deserving family, or creating a community that, like Camphill, welcomes mentally disabled...I have never understood the attraction of jewerely, fancy stuff, expensive meals or clothing.

I had a friend whose husband was killed in the navy in WW2, and she had three very small sons to raise on a tiny pension. She later married again, a very rich man, but she still would look at a dress and have it worked out in yardage to sew in her head, could never bring herself to waste money, but she would give it away to people who needed it.

When we got our first home, we were happy for a roof over our head, a bed, some sheets and dishes. Now, it seems it is the huge wedding, the house, the newer cras, all the bells and whistles inside the house. There is no fun in that, it ws fun to save for our first couch, our first washing machoine, there was a sense of accomplishment, plus we had no debt except a small mortgage. People have come to expect far too much.

When I was living briefly in Afric years ago, I asked a woman with several children what she needed most, what was her desire, and she said "I would like a pair of shoes, then I would be completely happy." She got her shoes of course, but she gave me so much more.

Love Annie
  5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Mikie,

I saw this segment the first time it aired. Very inspirational. A while later, I ran across an amazing <a href="">3-minute video</a> on YouTube. In it, John Kenzius, the guy featured on 60 Minutes, demonstrates how the same machine they're researching for cancer can also be used to burn saltwater to produce unlimited clean energy. You may want to check it out.

BTW, I love to read people's ramblings! It seems you're touching on why we're here on this world; namely, to learn spiritual values. And one of them is gratitude.

I went through some very difficult times, both physically and financially, during various phases of my own health journey. Though I could technically have been labeled homeless during a period of 2-3 years, I never felt that way, as I always seemed to keep a van going that could provide a roof over my head.

Oddly, it seemed the more dire things became, the more gratitude I would have for even the simplest things that would keep me going. It seems that hardship is often the catalyst for us learning some very very valuable spiritual principles; perhaps the reason there's so much hardship in the world.

Just a few rambling thoughts of my own. :)

Kind regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

the simple life. There's a lot to be said for that.

About 1 1/2 yrs. after I got sick , a health pro told me that my body had been telling me to slow down. I didn't slow down as much as I should have and paid the price.

I believe there is some validity to this outlook. As far as the total cause , I don't think so.

Yes , I saw that episode this spring. I'm also aware that a lot of things that work elsewhere aren't "allowed" to enter the money & power world .....unless........."They" gain more power & money.

Blessings ,

7. tandy

tandy New Member

your posts always leave me thinking.(deep thoughts)
    & now I'm sweating!!
    this is way too much like a workout~

:) Tandy

8. ckball

ckball New Member

I did not see the show but I gather it is about simplifing and appreciateing your life. I understand what you are going threw.

I did this several years ago when I had to empty my mom's packed large home and garage. My mother collected depression glass, other glass ware, tupperware, old kitchen tools. It is ok to collect these things, but does one need to have a dozen of the same thing?

She threw nothing away, she was born during the depression, then the last 10 years she lived she had money from a class action asbestos lawsuit for her deceased husband.

I am a only child with a selfish daughter. I decided to sell most of my things too at the estate sale. It felt so good to have the weight of that gone. I gave the biggest part of it to my daughter and it now sits 3 years later on large plywood tables and shelves in her MIL basment.

I do have things that not everyone has but that is one of my favorite things to do. That is taking rides everyday in my golf cart with my dogs. It is the most peaceful part of my day, usually around sunset and sometime just sit and watch it.

I live in a beautiful place and just enjoy watching nature, I see deer, I saw a baby spotted fawn the other day. I saw a large heron and hawks the other day.

The dogs love it, they patienly wait each night for me to eat my dinner then they are ready. They love being tied to the cart and run along beside it. Then when they are done they get in and we all ride back and watch the sunset.

I am very gratful to have my big toy because it is priceless to me. I use to have a weakness for diamonds and have my share and they sit in a nice box rarely worn.

With all the projects I do at home you can't wear them, and they just don't mean that much to me. I am actually putting one on ebay in the next few weeks.

It is not because I need the money, it is I just don't need the ring. I will save the money for something special down the road.

Enjoy your new found feelings, I use to wear designer suits and heels, now I wear sandals, tennis shoes and black flats with my Wally's T's and shorts. I got rid of it all and kept the essentials for funerals, wedding or something.

Even my "dress" clothes I wear at the shop one day a week are Wally's or Dollar General. I am a believer of less is more.

I will miss your posts, I may not always respond, as I have been trying to finish up a large rock project that was designed to simpify my yard cutting and weedeating. But I always enjoy reading them, it has been great to see you improve over the years and hope it continues.

A word of caution, even if your body is saying it can go all day long, and even days or weeks at a time-don't. This is a hard lesson I am learning, I have been in what felt like a remission then I would just take on these projects and have a hard time taking a break until I get it done.

Then boom I am down again, that is what I am going threw now. It just feels so good to feel good again, then you get carried away.

So you are not alone out there, I too like Annie, have been known to dumpster dive. I just landscaped my house using rock from a construction waste site. It is amazing what the state or companies throw away.

My daughter is married and both have management positions for Home Depot and are in debt, well they will never see the light of day. It just boggles my mind how they spend money they don't have.

So does that answer your question,LOL. I wish you all the best as you deserve this new chapeter in your life, so take time to enjoy the little moments too-Carla
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks so much for all your sharing, insights, and inspiring messages. They all touched me.

I haven't seen where the technology use to cure cancer can produce energy from salt water but in Europe and other areas of the world, they use some kind of filtration in brakish water to separate the saline water from the fresh water. Just the action of this filtration produces energy. This isn't pie-in-the-sky stuff; it's actually in use today.

It's an interesting paradox that a hi-tech gadget, like my new phone, will allow me to get rid of some of the other technological junk in my life. I'm reorganizing my priorites but not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I guess I will have to take one step at a time and see where it leads. That's how life unfolds anyway. We get into trouble when we try to go against what is in our own interests and those of the Universe.

Now, I am a closet nerd and love hi-tech stuff. If I were to win the LOTTO, all bets are off. Still, I wouldn't go nuts. I'd just buy things which enrich my life and not diminish it. Some gadgets help us to be more productive when we need to in order to have more time for things which help us spiritually and physically. I just don't want to be the woman at the gym with the bluetooth in my ear, cell phone dangling off my waist, and reading or watching TV while I use the machines. Multitasking can be taken too far.

I would never want to have expensive clothes, jewelry, or a showy car. I'd actually be happier with a restored classic. Nothing wrong with being comfortable but ostentacious consumerism just isn't for me. I'd rather find a way to make my money help the world to be a bit better when I leave it.

Thanks you all again so much for the lovely posts. I'm spending some time here before I give up my internet service. I still need to master a few things on that phone. That's the ugly underside to hi-tech goodies; you have to learn how to use them :)

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm in my 60's as well and I think it is a passage as we move into a new mindfulness and way of looking at the world. I've always, for as long as I can remember, appreciated nature and I've always been a grateful person. Now, though, it's like in "The Wizard of Oz," when the movie went from B&W to color. Flowers smell sweeter, the air feels like it's embracing me in a soft blanket, and everything is brighter, like Technicolor.

I'm coming out of a crisis time after losing my Mom. She lived with me for a while before she died. She didn't require a caregiver but relationships with older parents can be very tiring, even when there is love and both are close. Also, at that time, I was in the depths of my illnesses. It's been six years since Mom passed and the pain is less raw for me now.

My other crisis was moving from someone who always looked ten years younger than I was, still trendy and able to wear the latest fashions. The 40's may be the new 30's, the 50's may be the new 40's, but for me, 60 is 60! It has taken a while for me to accept growing older and seeing the effects of aging on my body. Now that I've accepted it, more or less, it has rewarded me with a newfound freedom of sorts. I'm more internally focused but at the same time, more globally focused. Mostly, I've been confused :) Fortunately, things are starting to straighten themselves out and I feel my Dharma unfolding before me.

My best wishes for you and thanks for replying.

Love, Mikie
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I didn't see 60 Minutes I've felt for some time that one of the blessings (maybe the primary one) in this illness is the need to prioritize and simplify. I've thought the same thing about this economic downturn, that at least the people who have been living heedlessly will be forced to take a fresh look at their lives.

I don't mean to sound heartless. I know this time is terribly difficult for many. Yet if we look for the positives in it I feel that it can change our lives for the better. If we get back to the things that really matter, like people - loved ones, family, working together - the fact that we have food to eat (maybe simpler but healthier?) and can fill that gas tank even half full, I can't imagine that being a bad thing.

Americans are wonderfully inventive and courageous. We have lot of fixing to do but we'll find a way through and be better off in the end.

Meanwhile, we must ask ourselves what are needs and what are wants? Certainly we "deserve" our wants after how hard we work.... Or maybe "deserving" has nothing to do with it and, instead, it's about peace of mind. Suppose?

Good subject, Mikie. Thanks.

12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's about mindfulness.