anyone see a neuro for fog?? tics??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dononagin, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I've developed facial tic's/twitches since I got sick.. My ortho asked if I had ever seen a Neurologist for them. I guess they can be called by central nervous disorders.
    Anyway, I'm waiting for a refferal but was wondering while I have the opportunity, can a neuro do testing on cognitive function? I feel like I'm losing my mind the fog is getting so bad!
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with neuros..

Thank you!!
    Hugs, Dona
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I would get a hair analysis just to rule that one out. M.D. don't like hair analysis but Foresic medicine uses them and they hold up in our court systems. It got a kit from 1to1vitamins.

GABA is a neurotransmitter that found in the brain. It has a relaxing effect and keeps the neurons from over firing. My neurologist told me that you can't take just GABA since we don't know what the "transport mechanism" is to get it across the blood-brain-barrier (BBB).

Its now known that the Amino Acid: Theanine is the transport mechanism. Theanine is found in Green Tea.

Sun Theanine has both GABA + Theanine + 5HTP.

The 5HTP is a natural source of Serotonin.
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I think Doooogie Houser would have been more help. lol I have major issues with fog and cognitive issues along with chronic migraines. He said all of my problems are due to sleep apnea, doubled my Lyrica prescription then shoved me off to a sleep clinic. Maybe he knows what he is talking about, but I just do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from him. I am sure there are good Neuro's out there ... I guess I just got a clinker. I am going to try a Rheumy I guess. Good luck :)
  4. mollybee07

mollybee07 New Member

I went to a neuropsychologist last year after a doctor did a nerve conduction test and said I had polyneuropathy. This neuro doctor did test for heavy medals, x rays and electrophoresis which showed one monoclonal immunoglobulin of IgG KAPPA. She called it paraproteinanemia or too much protein in my blood. It can cause liptic lesions on bones that can be painful. After all was said and done she said I had a bad case of fibromyalgia. What you need is a neuropsychologist.
    A neuropsychologist is a professional psychologist that studies and practices neuropsychology. Neuropsychology is the study of the relationship between the central nervous system (brain and spine) and behavior, from birth to old age. Psychology is the study and profession concerning behavior and the related functions and processes of both the mind and body, in human and non-human animals.

Neuropsychologists have many different types of jobs and not every neuropsychologist does the same thing. Many neuropsychologists administer psychological tests and perform assessments to diagnose specific disorders of the brain. These brain disorders most often result in problems with thinking, emotions, and/or behavior. Neuropsychologists study ways to measure recovery from brain damage as well as strategies to rehabilitate (make better) people with brain damage and improve their care.
    Neuropsychologists also provide psychotherapy (a psychological treatment through talking) to patients with brain damage and try to understand ways in which a patient's environment (for example, family) improve or worsen a brain damaged patient's overall condition. Although neuropsychologists also study the functioning of the spine, most neuropsychologists focus on the functioning of the brain.

5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm sneaking in from work so I'll try to get back and respond individually later in the day, but wanted to thank you so much for your responses!

Hugs,
    Dona
  6. romalaw

romalaw Member

Dona, when I first became ill 9 years ago, I developed random tics, jerks and mild hand tremors, in addition to the brain fog. I was terrified that I had Parkinson's, MS or ALS. I had two MRIs over five years,along with nerve conductivity tests. While I was nervous to have the tests, I was greatly relieved to have those conditions ruled out.

This darn illness manifests in so many strange ways that can be so scary. What has helped me is taking high doses of magnesium 600-800 mg and a very tiny dose of klonopin (1/4 of .25mg).

I would say to go through whatever tests your dr recommends, it might ease your mind.
  7. romalaw

romalaw Member

Dona, when I first became ill 9 years ago, I developed random tics, jerks and mild hand tremors, in addition to the brain fog. I was terrified that I had Parkinson's, MS or ALS. I had two MRIs over five years,along with nerve conductivity tests. While I was nervous to have the tests, I was greatly relieved to have those conditions ruled out.

This darn illness manifests in so many strange ways that can be so scary. What has helped me is taking high doses of magnesium 600-800 mg and a very tiny dose of klonopin (1/4 of .25mg).

I would say to go through whatever tests your dr recommends, it might ease your mind.
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I am so glad I'm not the only one! Though I wouldn't wish this on you either!!
    Hugs!