Anyone See Primetime Last Night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone was asking about donating organs here. After watching Primetime last night, I realized how greed can endanger anyone receiving transplanted organs or tissue unless from a family member. Even though this was regarding tissue transplants which were illegally obtained from funeral parlors, it was scary. People's loved ones were being parted out and the cause of death changed on the forms so that any cancer or infectious diseases, which would normally make tissue unusable, was never made known.

The docs doing the tissue transplants never questioned the paperword until one noticed that everyone he received tissue from died on heart attacks. This, among several other things, caused an investigation. One man was paying funeral parlors $1,000 for bodies which were used without the family's knowledge. They forged the donor paperwork. A body can be worth $100,000 for the tissue.

What this says to me is that there are people out there willing to use tissue which is not suitable for transplantation. We like to think that our blood banks and other donor organizations do a thorough investigation and screening so that it is safe for us to donate. It isn't safe until we know what causes our illnesses. I've told my children that nothing may be used from my body when I die.

Most patients do not have the information to consent unless a kidney or part of a liver is donated by a family member. In that case, if someone agrees, he or she has made an informed decision. The people in the story on TV are now getting notices and having to be tested for AIDS and Hepatitis. They don't know whether they are living with time bombs in their bodies.

The story went on to show hotel ballrooms where cadavers are brought in for training seminars for doctors. Very little was done to ensure a clean area and there was fear that these bodies could bring disease into the hotels where the next group could be having a banquet. One body was puddling on the plastic sheet under the table where the docs were walking on the plastic and onto the carpet. This has become big business and like the above part of the story, motivated by greed.

Love, Mikie
  2. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

After seeing the dr.'s in the motel,I had to change the channel.

What is this world coming to?

We aren't even protected in death.

And to think of all these people that never knew this was happening to their loved ones....either tissue being taken away or recieving.

I think I am gonna leave the tv off for awhile today.After all that is going on in this world right now, to see that last night just pushed me over my edge.

What the heck is going on??

Remember a few years back the story of the funneral home that was dumping people's bodies out in the woods instead of taking care of the bodies the way famalies had asked to and payed for.(Did that make sense?)

If there is such a thing as ghosts,boy if that was my body I would be haunting alot of these jerks.

Greed!!!!Makes people evil.

Lets try to think happy thoughts.

Sheila
  3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I KNEW there was something I wanted to set the DVR to record last night but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for posting the info on what went one. Just goes to show how very very much we don't know what goes on in this country!

Hugz,
    Tona
  4. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I too was freaked out.

What an awful abuse of a system that people need to depend on for disease free tissue, bone and organs.

Someone close to me was been repeatedly instructed to have gum grafting done and that cadaver gum tissue would be used. Needless to say that procedure will be put off for a while until more research can be done on how to be sure the tissue used is safe.

This was a sad story about greed.
  5. sunshine54

sunshine54 New Member

A story hit the news about a month ago concerning a company in New Jersey who sold diseased tissue and bone to several companies, I was very worried. Two days later they narrowed it down to the 5 states it affected and Praise The Lord it wasn't Arkansas as I've had 3 surgeries since 5/05 and all 3 used cadaver bone.

Sunshine
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Frankenstein.

Love, Mikie
  7. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

For those who didn't I think you can go to the abc news (primetime) site & watch it. AMY
    Yes I just double checked - if you go to abc news & then choose primetime & click on the story. It was interesting - in a sick sort of way.[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]