Anyone see Spiders when they wake up??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0808, Jan 3, 2009.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I have ALWAYS had vivid scary dreams during the day and at night.
    I used to dream that my limbs were going fatter then thinner and even fatter then even thinner!It used to make me feel ill when I woke up.

I dreamt about scary people/animals and all kinds of wierd stuff.
    I have also suffered sleep paralysis in the past.

I had an op 10 years ago and not long after I started seeing a spider when I woke up????
    Its not every day but enough to drive me nuts!!

It starts at the bottom of the wall or my blinds and move upwards quite fast.I can see the legs going real quickly. Usually it is black but lately it has been red so I wondered if anyone else suffered from this??
    I have insomnia really bad but I have had bad dreams all my life.

Any help?

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Maybe you should look it up in a dream dictionary. They are good at explaining strange dreams. They have alot of them online.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I hallucinate a lot when I wake up, different things though not always the same thing.

This is called hypnopompic hallucinations, when you hallucinate on waking up. Some people hallucinate when falling asleep but that has a different name. I found that out a few weeks ago and was relieved to see that there is an actual name for it and that it happens to many people.

It can be really scary, even seeing a wall of rosies scares me. It always takes me a minute or two to 'come round' and realise that I'm hallucinating.

My dreams are very vivid too - have been for years. I CANNOT take anything with Valerian in it as it gives me really bad nightmares so if you take any sleep aids make sure there's no valerian in it.

My son, 27, hallucinates with spiders, he even gets up and looks for them. He's not scared of spiders.It seems like spiders are a very common hypnopompic hallucination.

I cant offer any help, I dont know what causes it but I know exactly what you're talking about and you have my sympathy.

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2009]
  4. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

OMG! I have been seeign these spiders climbing down on a web hovering over me and then running up the bed side. when I informed my therapist of this she felt it was a hullucination caused by PTSD. After long term therapy and healing I still see the spiders from time to time. I wonder if this is a common thing for FMS and CFS sufferers.

ps. i see them ocassionally when i wake up with or with out the Lyricia I take for FMS
  5. kblackie55

kblackie55 New Member

i know exactly what you are talking about, i would actually jump out of my bed to see where the spider went. i told my doctor and he said i had fluid in my eye and that's what it looks like.
    i hope this helps.

6. kel78

kel78 Member

I occasionally have hallucinations of spiders or other things, but usually as I'm going to sleep, not upon waking. I also experience sleep paralysis, but only when waking from a nap. I've never had it when waking after a night's sleep. The hallucinations are definitely not caused by anything in my eye. More like something in my brain!

7. mary124

mary124 New Member

Yep! not all the time and I don't know what it is that I see but its enough to wake me up in the middle of the night and sleep with the light on for awhile.