Anyone self employed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tlc8858, Sep 23, 2003.

1. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

Are there any self employed people out there? If so, what are we supposed to do when we can't get enough energy to finsih our jobs? Do self employed people qualify for disability?
    tlc8858
  2. srobins

srobins New Member

I'VE BEEN SELF EMPLOYED 2 YEARS, IHAD TO QUIT MY REGULAR JOB BECAUSE OF FIBRO/CFS. I DON'T KNOW IF WE WOULD QUALIFY FOR DISABILITY. IM A MARY KAY SALES DIRECTOR, SO I WORK REALLY HARD WHEN I CAN, THEN WHEN I AM NOT ABLE TO, THINGS JUST SEEM TO FALL IN PLACE BECAUSE I WAS WORKING WHEN I COULD. HOPE THIS HELPS!

SROBINS
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I used to clean houses/businesses for a living and also do mystery shopping.I applied for disabilty 6 yrs. ago,the only thing I do now is clean one business(2 times a month,2 hours each).I won my disability case just this last yr. while still being self-empl.I did tell the hearing judge that the only reason why I still was doing one job was because the family court commissioner(for my divorce in 2000)ORDERED me to have a job or lose custody of my son.(he seems to think money makes a better parent-a$$)I did tell the judge too that it was my "exercise" also.It was a long hard battle.I am allowed tomake so much a month,but if I could make the minimum I wouldn't have fought so hard for SSD/SSI.
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

I worked till one day I just couldnt get up and do it any more. I had cut back and staggered and adjusted my schedule to accomodate 6 naps a day and then I still collapsed. I had to abruptly close the doors. My sleep dr. told me to file for social security dissability right away cuz it takes 5 months to get it. I hadnt even thought about it. I was too tired to think of anything.

The trick is you have to have been paying into the social security system while self employed and have earned enough credits. If you get one of those statements from SS saying how much you would get from SS based on what you have paid in now you are OK to file.
  5. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

I help run a small family business. But, I'm able to do this from my home and not have to report in at our shop. I just pace myself. If I get tired, I stop. Since some involved with this business think I'm "faking it" (you all know the type - if I exercised more, I'd be better, yada, yada, yada), I find that I get everything done (but on my schedule, not theirs).

Someone else mentioned, if you've paid into social security, then you should qualify. The problem is finding a doctor who will help you apply. I'm hoping this will be the care for you.

Warm fuzzies,
    jrsinc
  6. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I am not in a bad enough way yet to have to file but was just wondering what I might be facing down the road. I appreciate all your help.
    tlc8858
  7. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I just want to mention something else in relation to being self employed.
    We live in California and any kind of health insurance is outrageously overpriced for the self-employed. I am 56 and my husband is 52. The last time we applied for a plan that costs $272 a month and had a $8,000 deductible - $4,000 each person per year for anything major, we were turned done because I was on Effexor and deemed to be a risk for mental health problems. What a crock!
    An HMO, such as Kaiser is $800 amonth. Not in our price range I am afraid. So, we live in fear of an accident or illness that will lien our house.
    So far, have skated with a great dr. that gives us samples to keep us going. Don't know what we would do without him. I have applied for disability since I've had fibro for about 12 years and other things, like arthritis, are making it difficult. I've heard though, that you can't get medical aid until after 29 months on SSDI. This country is a mess as far as many people and health insurance go.