Anyone still eating FISH ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dojomo, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. dojomo

    dojomo New Member

    There was suppose to be a complete government report released on Mercury in 2002. The entire release of this report continues to be delayed for unknown reasons. But little by little more news trickles out....and I have a feeling the worse news in yet to come... especially if they are planning on lowering the "safety" exposure limits.

    I have stopped eating fish,and had my mercury amalgams removed .... and so far so good...I have definately noticed a change, ( no more vaccinations for me either)........

    Read this.....

    Fish is not always 'brain food'

    Eating methylmercury contaminated fish causes problems in adults

    Warnings about methylmercury contaminated fish are not just for young children and expectant mothers, according to new research published today in Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source. Adults who regularly eat contaminated fish could find that their concentration, dexterity and verbal memory are impaired.
    The major source of methylmercury is diet, particularly large fish like shark and swordfish. The authors of this new research concluded: "methylmercury exposure at levels often encountered by adults in North America may be inducing adverse effects on neurobehavioral performance."

    Methylmercury damages or destroys nerve tissue. It affects the visual cortex and the cerebellum, the part of the brain responsible for controlling complex movements and maintaining balance. This new research challenges the assumption that adults are much less sensitive to its toxic effects than children.

    Ellen Silbergeld, of John Hopkins University, and her colleagues conducted the first major study on the effects of long-term exposure to small amounts of methylmercury in adults using sensitive neuropsychological tests.

    The team, which included researchers from The University of Rio de Janeiro and the University of Maryland, studied a group of 129 men and women living in fishing communities of the Pantanal region of Brazil. They took samples of recent hair growth and analysed them for mercury. Because hair grows constantly, these values reflect the exposure of individuals to methylmercury within the previous three months. About one out of four of the participants were found to have mercury levels that exceeded the 'safe' level set by the World Health Organization (WHO) for women and children. WHO will decide next week whether the current exposure limit should be decreased.

    The researchers also used a number of tests to assess mental functions such as learning, attention, memory, accuracy, manual speed and dexterity. Those individuals with higher levels of mercury in their hair fared worse on the tests for motor skills, memory and concentration.

    Mercury is used in small-scale gold-mining. A gold-rush began in the Patanal region of Brazil in the early 1980's, leading to an increased concentration of mercury in the environment in the mid-1980's. Once mercury gets into the water system, it is converted to methylmercury by bacteria found in sediment. Fish ingest it as they feed, and the concentration increases up the food chain. Larger fish species with long life-spans will contain much higher levels of methylmercury.

    Methyl mercury levels are a global concern, with the major source of exposure being fish consumption. Women who have eaten grossly contaminated fish may give birth to children with severe disabilities including cerebral palsy and mental retardation. The United States Food and Drug Administration issued an advisory in 2001, warning women who were pregnant or of child-bearing age to restrict their intake of shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish. Governmental advisories in the United Kingdom and other countries also warn that the diet of children should not include contaminated fish species.

    This study suggests that this advice should now be extended to everyone, although the effects seen in adults are less severe than in children exposed to methylmercury before birth.
  2. MemoryLane

    MemoryLane Member

    Around here, there is plenty of farm raised catfish, but I don't care for catfish.

    I do eat some Salmon and other deep sea, cold water fish.

    I no longer eat Bi-Valves/Molluscan shellfish or shrimp.


    Lane
  3. klutzo

    klutzo New Member

    we eat cold water fish. Some type of white fish once, and salmon once. I just had mercury testing and am anxious to see the results. I love fish and cannot tolerate fish oil, so I hope I can keep eating it.
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    Like Lane, only farm raised Catfish! I only like freshwater fish so that leaves me out of the loop with this one. When I get lucky, someone will give me Green Trout (Wide mouth bass) from their private stocked ponds (illegal to sell).

    We can go see the fish in the pounds they are raised in if we want. They are all over this area.

    Never ate fish from a store or market in my life. Never anything thing that is not 'local' either.

    We even have meat markets that the cattle are raised without all the chemical treated foods. You can also go see the cattle ranches, if you can deal with those 'big eyes' and know that you are eating them!

    Chickens and eggs are free-range, also fed only natural foods.

    Same goes for the vegetables from the Farmers Markets, and the butter and milk is only six hours from the farm that we buy. Homemade cheese too. All chemical free.............

    The only time any of the above is frozen is if you freeze it yourself.



    Shalom, Shirl





    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2003]