Anyone suffer with chronic reflux w/o relief from drugs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vafmschick, Apr 29, 2007.

1. vafmschick

vafmschick New Member

Does anyone here have chronic reflux and have taken all of the PPIs, H2 blockers, carafate, etc. for extended periods of time with no relief?

If so, have any of you found ANYTHING that works that is not a drug?

I have been on every stomach medicine known to man for the past four years. This cannot be good. I have read that most of them cause cancer and that some have high aluminum levels which of course cause Alzheimer's! Between all of them I am sure to develop something. I guess if I get cancer, I won't remember I have it due to the Alzheimer's!

Anyway, I cannot keep taking these drugs. I just don't think they are helping. I am desperate for relief. I have terrible pain in my chest and clear my throat about 100 times a day. If this isn't healed, I am sure to have esophageal cancer soon. It just isn't healthy.

I hope someone out there has found something that helped them to share with the group. I appreciate any tips from you lovely folks. Thanks.
  2. Daisys

Daisys Member

I also was not responding to the usual treatments. Then I cut out all gluten, and it is no longer an issue for me.

This seems to be very common on this board: many do better if they avoid gluten.

I had to go several weeks before I could tell that whenever I ate wheat that it gave me a bad reaction.

You may be reacting to another food, but wheat/gluten is one of the top offenders, so I'd try avoiding that first.
  3. CANSADO

CANSADO Member

Hi,

I was having a problem with reflux and decided to try quitting coffee. After 2 weeks, reflux is almost eliminated.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I hear you! I've had this for years. Although, I can sometimes get relief with Nexium, I agree that taking those drugs long term is not a good idea. I find DGL to be helpful and also aloe vera juice.
    A folk remedy that has been used by many is Apple Cider Vinegar. If you search here, you should find some old posts on this. I've just tried it a couple of times so I can't say long term. It does burn going down though!

Kathy
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

reflux is not something which can be ignored. Try all the diet adjustments, but if the meds and adjustment do not take care of it, then surgery may be your only option.

GERD can result in esophageal cancer, COPD from it spilling into your lungs, and asthma.

There is a surgery, which can be done laparoscopically for it, which sometimes eliminates the problem, as you probably have a hiatal hernia, which complicates it.

I am contemplating having a gastric banding, and that procedures ELIMINATES GERD. The device prevents reflux.
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

associated with FM? I too have sufferred this and found that by losing weight and eating only good stuff, you know fruit vegies etc, no caffeine etc it was relieved but unfortunatel Lyrica I think and the lack of activity has GERD to raise its ugly head again, and cant eat toast, coffee, tea, bananas, fats etc and have now gone on another tablet called Periet its excellent for me but if I dont take it there it is again, will have to lose the weight and cahnge to diet, hard to do when you are exhausted. I think about it bout done get to it.....

good luck

love n light
    Connie
  7. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

for me when I had the undiagnosed Celiac's. Have them check for gluten intolerance. Someone else mentioned it, and I cannot stress it enough. It was a classic problem for me. I never left the house without my stomach pills. Drugs didn't help. But it was an easy cure :)

Bunny
  8. clerty

clerty New Member

I am so annoyed at this for years I always had a funny stomach I had an ultra sound and the docs said everything was ok I move to Singapore and find out that NO my stomach is not ok I have a diverted Colon no wonder drugs make me sick the NHS inthe UK is a joke I used to work for them !!
    Clertyx