Anyone SUPER Depressed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

I am on Elavil and Cymbalta 120mg but lately I have been in the worst depression rut ever. I have my brother coming to live with us so that is taking its toll. I have never ever been in such a funk. I just have no desire to do a single task. I am so exhausted I can barely move.
    Anyone taking something like abilify for energy? Does anyone know where I am coming from?

My pain is controlled with Methadone and Dilauded which I have taken for a while now. I have not added any new meds to cause this.

2. Empower

Empower New Member

Maybe the doctor needs to "re-evaluate" your drug regimen

The Elavil alone would leave me totally exhausted (was on it for years)
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Has your doc recently done a complete eval of your thyroid function? That would include tests called free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies.

It's not an uncommon finding for people with FM to have sub-optimal thyroid function -- but since most docs fail to test completely, it's not always discovered.

Dilaudid, Elavil & Cymbalta all contain compounds from chemical families that have potential to suppress thyroid function. Caution is required in prescribing dilaudid if indications of hypothyroid are present.

If you feel your depression is mostly related to your situation, then perhaps some form of counselling would be helpful. However, if you feel there is a more physiological aspect to it, you might consider requesting the full thyroid eval.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2009]
  4. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I suffer from on and off depression due to this illness, I often wonder, how can you not? Having no energy makes life so unlivable sometimes. Energy and life seem interdependent. Regarding abilify, well that does nothing for my energy, but it helps my mood... I take provigil and ritalin to keep me awake during the day, but I STILL am disabled by lack of energy. They just keep my eyes open.
    I hope you can find some support and people to help you while your brother is with you. Good luck with everything.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i am super depressed as you said, just when i think i have come to grips with my health & that i'll probably be like this for the rest of my days. i get hit with some other new & frightning symptom or disorder.

i have had fibro/cfs for almost 20 years now, and all that goes along with that, the heart problems, nausea, bowel probs( sorry) and now the latest my kidney function is way off.

so now thats a new one to be scared to death about, which makes me really depressed and anxious.

the only thing i take is xanax & that isnt cutting it anymore, so will talk to dr at the next visit.

my next stab at fighting the terrible depression & anxiety is some tapes that are supposed to help you calm down & fight it with the mind thing.

makes sense, as the mind is what is giving me all the depression & stuff. I'll keep you all posted on how that goes, im scared to take any new meds until they find out why my Kidneys are stressed.

your sure not alone!! i think we all crack from time to time just from the stress of being chronically Ill, it's a daily struggle!! good luck & look into some tapes for depression & stuff, the ladys name that is supposed to be good is bellruth, i cant remember her first name,but look her up.
    Good Luck!
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. when I took Cymbalta it actually made me more depressed.
    When we don't have energy, we may feel more down. When you're depressed you have less energy or desire to do anything.

I have two friends on Abilify. they have both had great results. It in itself hasn't given them more energy per se, but feeling better probably has.

I'd talk to your Dr. and see what options are available to you!
  7. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Hi Chris350- I have battled depression for most of my life. I did see an add on T.V. last night about adding Albilify to other depression meds if they were not controlling all of your depression would be a good idea to make an appointment with your Dr. and let him/her know how you are feeling and bring up this idea. Please do not make any life changing or important legal decissions etc..while you are feeling this way. Please call your Dr. right away and get in ASAP! OK? I will worry about you and will check freq. to see how you are doing! Hugs! M
  8. chris350

chris350 New Member

I have an appointment for Wednesday at 9:30.

Thanks for all your support.