Anyone switch from Neurontin to Topamax??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Mar 14, 2006.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

A couple of my friends think that Topamax works better than Neurontin. I was wondering if anyone else switched to Topamax after being on Neurontin?? Did it seem to work better for you? Thanks for any thoughts about this....

Hugs,

Laura
  2. lolee

lolee New Member

Actually my Pain Management Doctor switched to Topamax from Neurontin on my first visit with him on January 12th.

When I first started Neurontin I was impressed, but I gotta tell ya' for me, Topamax IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ONLY "bad" side effect I get is some tingling in my toes and hands, occasionaly.

However, I also get that "good" side effect. I'm never hungry!! LOL!!

He started me on 25mg for 2 wks, 50mg for 2 wks and then jacked me up to 100mg. I feel pretty good. Helps me get good and sleepy before bedtime, and haven't had a single migraine since I started it.

I think my Doctor knows what he is doing. He his awesome!

Love,

Lolee
  3. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Yes I have too, lost a lot of weight too.....just use neurontin for a little energy here and there.
    Sharon5650
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hey Lolee, if you see this....was it difficult to make the switch?? My friend said she had theese wierd jerks in her legs for a month while making the switch, just wondering, but if it helps my pain more it would be worth it.

-Laura
  5. voiceteacher

voiceteacher New Member

that I don't take neurontin but I take topamax for epilepsy. I take 100mg twice a day and though I didn't get the weight loss effect there is quite a list of side effects. At a higher dose than this I was missing words in sentences and forgetting small periods of time. My hubby called it stupamax for a bit there!

At this dose I have quite a bit of tingling in the feet and hands, and never have headaches, so I don't mind it. I just wanted to be sure that you look at the list of side effects before you call it a miracle drug!

Voice
  6. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

7. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

any others?
  8. lolee

lolee New Member

been not all there for a while!!!

sorry about taking so long to answer . . . .

I switched right over from Neurontin to Topomax, I didn't titrate over or anything, just switched. I did notice some twitching in legs and arms but never associated it with that, but now that you mention it maybe it was from that . . . . .don't know?

I still love my topomax, plus I have lost like 15 lbs since january. not bad!!

Lolee
  9. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Laura,

I used Neurontin about a year ago. At first it seemed to be helping me deal with my pain. My doctor gradually increased the dosage, and when I was taking it for awhile, instead of feeling pain relief, I found I was still in pain and needed to turn to something else cause I was hurting. I had gained weight with Neurontin, and my pain had increased after being on it for a while.

Within the past few months, I started getting terrible headaches. I went to a neurologist to help with the pain. He put me on Topamax. It has been awhile since I had taken the Neurontin. I increased the Topamax dosage by 25 mg, once a week, until I was taking 6 pills a day. Blood started coming out of my nose when I blew it and I was still having terrible headaches. There were other side effects that were bothering me also. I never experience the weight loss, side effect.

My experience was BAD with both of those medications.

Oh well. Now I am taking atenolol, which is a beta-blocker to help with the headaches.

I hope you find relief with the meds you are taking.

Good luck and feel better.

Cindy
  10. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I found that Neurontin did not help me at all, and I gained about 30 pounds so I decided to taper off. I started the Topamax a few weeks ago & probably haven't been taking it long enough, or taking enough of it yet to feel the benefits, but since stopping the Neurontin & starting the Topamax I have lost 20 Pounds! I like that part!

Good luck,

Leanne
  11. kayice

kayice New Member

Without Topamax, I would get a lot of tics, jerks, and prickling in feet and hands. It helped with the severe leg cramps in the night, too.