Anyone switched from Paxil to Effexor XR?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, May 30, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

My new psychiatrist is switching me from Paxil, which I've been on for 14 years to Effexor XR, because it is supposed to help with pain issues. He has me ona "taper" of the Paxil for 3 weeks, but I am still having withdrawals. Has anyone done this? I really want to stick with it if at all possible if the Effexor can give me some pain relief.

I am sleepy all day, then can't sleep at night. I am having some disturbing dreams. Increased anxiety and pounding heart (although pulse reads normal). I'm pretty positive that this is Paxil withdrawal, as I've tried it before. Just wanted some support if anyone's been successful in this.

julie
  2. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Hi Julie!

I wasn't switched from Paxil, but from zoloft- about 3 years ago.. to Effexor XR- We had to keep increasing my doseage and I'm up to 225mg now..

I really like the Effexor- it has helped with pain and depression.. but the withdrawl is a nightmare.. if it's not something you are willing to go thru when the time comes, then don't start taking it.

Even if I skip one doseage, I'm a mess - it is a horrible feeling, I can't image having to come off of it completly..

Search Effexor-- you'll see what I mean.

Good luck!
    Sharon
  3. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

I switched from lexapro. I am after being on it for 2 months at 225mg and have a feeling my Dr is about to up it.

About mid afternoon I do get terribly sleepy, but my Dr thinks it is because I dont use my CPAP machine at night for my sleep apnea. So that maybe one avenue to check if you have something like sleep apnea that you are being like me and not following (bad girl I know I am spanking my hand as I type). I also know that when I tried paxil it not only made me sick at my stomach but also made me sleepy I had to take it at night.

I really like the effexor but like the previous poster if you miss a dose you feel it. I unfortunately didnt take my meds this weekend and oh my gosh do I feel like doo doo today!!! The other thing I have found with the effexor is,(I notice it more at this mg level than lower), I have a hard time going to sleep at night if I dont take my bedtime meds my mind tends to spin a lot. If you dont have a med at bedtime to help you sleep you might check into that.

Good luck
  4. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I switched from Paxil to Cymbalta. Cymbalta is very helpful in managing pain and nerve issues. It has also helped with depression. However, it doesn't help with anxiety like Paxil did. It took a long time to wean off of the Paxil but if you do it very slowly the impact may be lessened for you as it was for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2006]