Anyone take an SSRI + Ambien?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm back on lexapro after a series of brutal migraine attacks, but i'm finding i'm not sleeping as well as i did when i've taken lexapro in the past. i still have to take 1 mg klonopin (which i'm afraid i've become dependent on) and sometimes even wake in the middle of the night and take diphenhydramine to get back to sleep. i'm wondering if anyone takes an ssri like lexapro + ambien and does it make you feel lethargic, or does it energize you? the best sleep i've ever been able to get was on lyrica which operates like gaba in the brain. ambien also works on gaba so i'm wondering if the pairing with an ssri makes for a blissful night's sleep. i'm sure it does. i just wonder whether it actually increases fatigue in the long run??

eddie
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

The other things I take are Effexor XR in the morning,Gabapentin and flexiril-3 times a day.Last is at 6pm.Then I take Kadian(morphine)at 9pm and Trazadone OR Ambien at 9:30 when I am ready to go to sleep.
  3. mahx

mahx New Member

about 3-4 nights per week only 5 mg....also 10 mg of Lexapro each nite. It does help with sleep without that lethargic feeling. I also take 50 mg of Elavil each nite.

Good luck..its worth a try.

Ma
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSRI's can increase racing brain seizure state symptoms. Taking something which does this and something which stops the seizure state is like taking uppers to wake up and downers to go to sleep. You just have to keep increasing one to counter the other. I think you have read Dr. Cheney's article on stimulants and SSRI's.

There are probably some who can tolerate the combination of an SSRI and a med which increases GABA in the brain but there are likely others who cannot. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. SueSnyder

SueSnyder New Member

I've just been lurking here, but thought I'd toss in my .02. I've taken Klonopin for years to help with RLS and sleep, and I also take Wellbutrin and--when I get desperate for at least a couple decent nights' sleep--Ambien. It works okay, at least till about 3 or 4 am or sometimes longer. Doesn't leave me "hungover" the next morning, either.

Re: the Klonopin, the main problem to me is that it gradually loses its effect, which means you either have to increase and increase the dosage, or stop. I don't like to increase dosages, so for many years I've had a regular routine where, when it stops working as well for me (couple times a year), I taper off of it entirely and stay off it for about a week. It's usually a bad week, since my sleep is interrupted by muscle jerks, but then I'm able to go back on a low-dose of Klonopin and have it be as effective as ever.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm having the same problem with klonopin. now that i'm on the lexapro, i'd like to get off the klonopin, but it's such a miserable drug to withdraw from. the first time i was on lexapro, i didn't need anything else for sleep, but now it seems it's not enough. i just started back up so perhaps i haven't given it enough time yet. anyway, if i manage to get off the klonopin, i'm switching to something else or upping my lexapro dose. i couldn't imagine putting myself through klonopin withdrawal on a regular basis to keep it working. how do you manage?!

eddie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think if one adds an SSRI or an SNRI to the mix, the Klonopin will not be as effective or one will need to take a higher dose.

I did wean down to 1/2 my regular dose a while back and it helped so that I have not had to increase it. I've pretty much stayed at this dose for more than four years.

Love, Mikie