Anyone take Cipro for UTI'?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Mar 4, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I rarely get these, and cannot handle antiobiotics, so asked for the "easiest" one to take.

She gave me the above 250 mg. Talk about side affects!! Splitting headache, total weakness,no sleep, & my pain continues.

Only supposed to take these for 3 days; this is my 2nd & I'm only taking one at night; way too much for me.

Curious to know others' experiences.

Always "something"!!

LIGHT***********carole
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

If I'd been "thinking", I would've taken all the great info about Cipro on this board. Now I don't feel so crazy.

Stopped it immediately, and my husband stocked up on a bunch of UTI tools from the health food store, plus I have a great Chinese herb for UTI's that I forgot about.

Still weak from that Cipro, but know I'll be feeling better by tomorrow, and then see what the culture shows. Records years ago showed I tolerated Macrodantin (25mg). So if I have to go back on RX, will go that route.

Some of these drugs are downright dangerous!!

LIGHT***********carole
  3. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

I keep warning everyone about this class of antibiotics. They are nasty. Unless you have no choice, think twice before taking that stuff. It can MESS you up--not for a day or week or month, but forever. Do a quick search on the net googling levaquin, cipro and tendon pain and peripheral neuropathy.

Hope you recover soon!
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

they say about Cipro. They sent out warnings to all the doctors NOT to prescribe it except for serious UTI's. They say it is dangerous and should only be used for Anthrax exposure and "possibly" UTI if nothing else works.

I was FORCED into trying it by a snotty woman doctor that I told I did NOT want to take it because you shouldn't take it with Asthma either. She INSISTED and I had no other doctor. I had no clue I was allergic to sulfa until then. She didn't "like" me because I had FM and she doesn't "believe in it". She's history!

I got horrible hives from the waist up and all in my throat as wel as all over my face and in my hair. I also projectile vomitted. She STILL didn't believe me and had me come in. The minute she saw me she said "You ARE allergic! Stop it at once!". I wanted to belt her one!

When it comes to Cipro just say "NO!" and stick to your guns!
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I had it last year for a UTI and had no side effects at all. I was expecting the worst. It was for 3 days can't remember the dosage, but it worked fine for me.

Sue in Ontario
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I started on my "all natural" program and had the best night last night. Going to stay on this for a few days, then dipstick to see if I'm clear. But as long as my symptoms don't come back, I'm feeling comfortable taking this route.

Am sure the Smart Doc will get back to me about my culture. I'll be interested it in, but will sure tell her about my severe reactions. Especially after I told her that I have Lupus & am EXTREMELY Drug Sensitive!! OK.....then I"ll give you CIPRO!!

We have to be so careful before we let these Docs give us something. I've been fortunate in not having to take alot, but except for sleep meds (valium derivatives), always have reactions.

Why can't I be an "eagle", and not a "CANARY"!!!

LIGHT*********carole
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I hate taking this too, but I tried the Zpack and the infection(either IC or Kidney???) came back with vengeance. MMe Curie here suggested I halve my pills and take them more frequently. I am on 500mg two times a day, and after the first one, wow, felt awful plus the runs!

Anyway I am halving them which she says is fine and I agree, and taking them every 6 hours instead. Bit of a nuisance waking up at midnight, but here is how it is working for me.

One hour prior, eat yoghurt with an extra probiotic capsule emptied into it. Then with the pill or just before eat some food and I have a hot decaf tea. Take pill, get hot water bottle and rest up and also take 2mg of valium if needed if still "off" an hour later. No runs today, feel a whole lot better if a bit woozy and no headache.

I wonder if you halve the 250 and take four times a day. Also someone posted re drinking two glasses gatorade for headaches.

Wow, just edited, I got so worried by the posts here, that I did read up a bit more. I think the problems occurred when people exposed to anthrax were taking 2,000mg a day for 60 days? Though we can all have allergies too. Anyway, not wanting to overload my system too much, I called nurse and she said to drop to 500mg total a day(250 twice)since I had the wallop dose for two days. I feel a bit easier taking it this way. Strangely, I usually do OK on zithromax, I think I maybe should have just done an extra dose on that.

Wake, why do you say no for cipro and UTI as it was my undertanding that CIPRO really works well for UTI's anything to do with bladder or kidney? Am I wrong there?

Love Annce C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  8. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I just finished a 5-day course of Cipro yesterday, 500 mg twice a day for a UTI. My UTI was severe according to the nurse practioner with blood in my urine and lots of white blood cells, hince the 500 mg twice a day for 5 days.

I have not had any problems at all with side-effects taking Cipro. As far as I can tell, it has worked.

Hugs,

Deena
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Getting so scared now re the Cipro. I am not usually like this. Been jittery all day. Just posted re scared of being alone-cannot believe that as usually I would be fine.

Nurse did tell me to switch to 250mg 2 times a day, yet now I wonder if the UTI will get worse.

If I have been OK for two days on it, surely I will remain OK?

What do you think those of you just on/off it? I don't want to risk this coming back as the Zpack did not clear it up, hence the Cipro. I feel sure I took it a few years ago OK.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have been given Cipro for UTI's but I just can't take the stuff. It puts me in the worst flare and makes me feel like I have the flu on top of that. I get the same feeling from Bactrim and Macrobid. Now I get it from Levaquin. The doctor told me he thought it was just me.

I haven't had problems with antibiotics until I got FMS and now it seems most cause me to feel much worse. I'm so glad I don't get sick very often.

I hope you will feel better. I always had to take antibiotics for 7 or 10 days.

Last time I had a UTI I had to take pain pills to offset the pain caused by the Levaquin.

One good thing about being homebound is I don't get very many illnesses. Of course staying home doesn't help one from getting a UTI.

Hope you will feel better. I do know the feeling quite well.

Hugs,
    Faye
    I have diabetes, so when I get sick it is more important I get the right abx. They do a culture on the urine and usually the Levaquin will be the right one.
    I just have to suffer throughout the time I am taking it.[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  11. livin4him

livin4him New Member

My mother was having severe reactions to it and had to switch to something else. I never had a problem taking it.

Hope you feel better.
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Well after stopping the CIPRO(I only took two 250mg pills), and starting my natural program, my symptoms have almost disappeared, and the dipsticks are showing the WBC's are almost gone!!

So for those who don't do well w/antibiotics, and want to try a natural approach, here's what I'm doing:

Chinese Herb: Plum Flower "Ba Zheng San" (I get these online)"cheap"

Traditional Meds has an organic tea: Cran-UTI

Acidolphilus (for taking those drugs)

Homeopathic: Cantharis for symptom relief

I'm monitoring daily with those dipsticks, along w/my symptoms.

So thankful there are natural options out there.

LIGHT*********carole

13. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I posted several weeks ago how I'm not a typical CFS sufferer but that my problems are most likely caused by Quinolones (class of antibiotics with Cipro, Levaquin, etc).

If you aren't tolerating it well, I'd quit it ASAP.

check out www.drugvitims.org. there is a link to a yahoo groups forum and I've posted on there about my ordeal. For those who can't metabolize it properly it can cause a host of problems in the peripheral and central nervous system. Seriously, I'd ditch it and get something else.

Greg
  14. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I was having back and side pain that was different from FM, a UTI/kidney infection symptom. A couple of days after taking Cipro that went away. I usually take Macrobid I think for UTI's, but she said she thought Cipro would be better in this case because when you have a UTI for a while I think they like Cipro (which the urinalysis indicated i did). I think I am fine now thanks to Cipro.

I usually don't have side-effects to antibiotics though, luckily. If you don't think you can handle the Cipro, maybe there is another antibiotic they can give you. The nurse pract. told me Cipro handles E.coli strains, I can't think of what other antibiotics do off the top of my head right now, but I know there are others. I think it is important not to ignore an infection though. They can cause life-threatening problems if not treated properly.

Hugs,

Deena
  15. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

I had Cipro for UTI last November. Actutally my uti was pretty bad cuz they were dx me with kidney infection. Cipro did make me feel so nausea and I was running on tired. After I took this for seven days, I felt better (from uti) but after I stopped it, my uti came back. So I had to go back to dr, and had a shot, plus antibotic.

Maybe you should talk with your dr to see if you can take different antibtoic. Cipro is strongest medication to treat for infection. If your uti isn't really bad, ask them if they can give you different antibotic, something that you can tolerate it. it's worth to try to ask.
  16. kbak

kbak Member

for anyone taking cipro, it depletes your magnesium big time. It's advisable to take extra mag while your one it.

K.
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I take very few antibiotics have probably taken them less than ten times in lifetime, if that,(I'm 59 )so I think the CIPRO is knocking out the infection not causing it.

I do think that FM causes IC though or more correctly is one of the symptoms of IC. I definately think I got this due to being at the gyne office for sure really, as I was fine prior to. I just hope they sterilized their speculums properly.

Despite the problem getting yeast overgrowths I think if we use a lot of probiotics and drink a ton of water we should be OK. It is those darn repeated courses that are the awful thing and the way docs gave them over and over to kids. Now we have gram resistent bacteria due to overuse. Same with everything, Moderation in all things should be the rule.

I have connections with a Native American Tribe and actually even prior to antibiotics etc a big problem they had was with yeast overgrowths, from exhumed bodies, this and tooth absecces killed more people than arrows!!!! In England, mead was consumed with all meals, then later beer, and these are very alive with yeasts so this also was a huge problem causing fungal growths and all sorts of vaginal bad stuff.

I do think we need to do the probiotics when taking antibiotics due to the kill off of good flora. Needs relacing. I am told by my bacteriologist cousin that we can replace good flora in one day as it replicates. However, we need to do this, as also BAD flora can take over like CD which can be a killer.

Love Anne C