anyone take COQ 10?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Does it help, the health food store said it gives you energy? I need energy. How does it help and how much do you take?
  2. panthere

panthere Member

I take 600 per day and I think it helps. One of my tests showed that I have low CoQ10, but I think you can just try and see if your body responds to it.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It's one of the key substances in the mitichondrial process of making energy (ATP cycle) and it's very important for other things, as well; however, it won't help with energy if the other necessary ingredients are missing (like D-Ribose, Acetyl L carnitine, B vitamins, magnesium, etc).
  4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Tried it in '93 or '94. No effect.
    Started it (along with a bunch of other "supplements" = "silver bullets") on February 3rd with no effect.
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I do take it twice a day and I hate to be without it. If I remember correctly, someone had some research that when you take statins, we need to take this supplement. You might be able to find it here in a search.

6. any one co q10 brand better than the other?
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I tend to favour products from the "Life Extension Foundation". LEF have in the neighbourhood of 200 researchers who study the research from all the peer-reviewed medical journals around the world. They also produce their own supplements which I understand are the best that money can buy. When new research comes out, they tend to update their supplements to reflect this.

According to the Life Extension Foundation

>>>Ubiquinol: Choosing the best coq10 supplement
    When it comes to choosing a CoQ10 supplement, the primary factor is how many swallowed milligrams actually make it into your bloodstream. Coenzyme Q10 is a notoriously difficult nutrient to absorb. A recent study showed that in seriously ill patients, conventional ubiquinone CoQ10 was hardly detectable in the blood, whereas the new ubiquinol resulted in significant blood level increases and subsequent clinical improvements.

Scientific studies show that ubiquinol remains in the blood far longer than ubiquinone. In studies measuring exercise-induced fatigue, ubiquinol was 90% more effective than ubiquinone. In middle-aged mice, ubiquinol was shown to be 40% more effective in slowing measurements of aging compared to ubiquinone.10<<<

8. nixon

nixon New Member

I don't think it gives me energy, but I've got some info. to post for you.

Do you take statin drugs?
    You should be aware that statins may lower your body's ability to produce CoQ10. This is because CoQ10 and cholesterol are both derived from the same substance, mevalonate. The purpose of statins is to inhibit the creation of cholesterol, and by extension, it suppresses the creation of CoQ10. It is important to consider adding a high quality CoQ10 supplement to your daily regimen, such as NSIĀ® ToCoQ10, in order to help maintain optimal health. CoQ10 should be taken with a meal containing fat for optimal absorption.

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a potent antioxidant responsible for cellular energy throughout the body. Heart cells, in particular, have high energy demands, and therefore contain and require more CoQ10 than any other type of cell in the body. While the body produces CoQ10 on its own, levels naturally decline with age, making supplementation beneficial. Research suggests that supplementing with 100 mg to 600 mg of CoQ10 daily may help maintain healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels, contributing to overall cardiovascular health. In addition, it is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect heart cells from the damaging effects of free radicals, unstable molecules in the body produced by normal body processes (such exercise and digestion) and environmental factors (such as pollution and the sun's UV rays).

I generally buy Nutraceutical Sciences Institute brands. Just thought I'd give some imput! Andrea