Anyone take Klonopin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bent_wind, Jul 18, 2003.

1. bent_wind

bent_wind New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to this board. I've been taking Klonopin almost daily, for nine years now. I've tried BuSpar, Paxil, Luvox and Zoloft to no avail.

Anyway, I'm currently ingesting 2mg, twice daily. This is a moderate to significant dosage, I believe, depending on who you talk to.

Sometimes I will take 2mg, three times daily (although this is unusual).

Anyone else here care to share their stories with benzo's and their dosages, etc.

I know I'm not alone, but often feel like it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

You would get less responses if you asked: "Who is NOT on Klonopin"!!

I think about 30 - 50 % of the board members take it.

Not me, except a little on occasion recently to help relax my muscles due to a neck injury.

I am however, dependent on Restoril [temazepam] for sleeping and am now wanting to come off it due to a bad experience last week while taking a mild opiod pain med concurrently.

I have discovered that since I have been on REstoril long term that coming off it is no easy task, might take almost 6 months to wean safely off it, and I started too dramatically and have been having terrible withdrawal.

So, if you absolutely need a benzo, then you need it, what can you do...but beware. Benzo's are very addictive if used for long term and if you wanted to come off it sometime, you must be careful to do so gradually because the body becomes dependent. I am not talking low doses or only months of taking. I am talking, in my case, maximum dose for over 2 years and dependent on it at some dose every night for sleeping for over 4 years.

Good luck. Many people here find klonopin extremely helpful and I must admit, restoril helped me immensely with sleeping. But, over time even the max dose has begun to lose it's effectiveness.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The typical dose is 1 mgs at bedtime and .5 mgs during the day in 1/2 or 1/4 of the tablet. I slip 1/4 of a tablet under my tongue in the daytime.

It sounds as though you are increasing your daytime dose. Are you suffering from increased anxiety or sensory overload? Klonopin itself isn't addictive, but I would be concerned if I were wanting more and more of it. On the other hand, we are all different and our needs are different too. That much Klonopin would knock me out.

The idea is to take the smallest dose of it which will address the symptoms. Also, as we get older, we need less and less of the Klonopin to do the same things as when we were younger. I am going to try to see if I can cut back on my nighttime dose a little.

Klonopin is not a drug to which most people build a tolerance and many have been taking the same dose for years. One does become physically dependent on Klonopin and if one needs to ever quit taking it, it must be done slowly weaning off of it. The danger with higher doses is that even when one weans off, it can produce seizures when it is withdrawn.

Welcome to our board. It is a place of warm and caring people with a lot of wisdom.

Love, Mikie
  4. suz41

suz41 New Member

Jeff:

Welcome aboard, glad that you have found a place where you are not alone, I too take Klonopin I have a seizure disorder and have been on Klonipin for 15 years it was one of the medications that actually stopped the seizures about 11 years ago ( had epilepsy since age 13). I take a moderate to high dose too. 2.5 at bed and 1.5mg in the am, stops the night seizures, restless legs and myoclonus. Luckily, this med also helps with the FM and outside of this I don't use anything other pain meds except occasonally extra strength Tylenol. I have been on Vitamins and supplements since my diagnosis late last year and modified my diet in amjor way (no caffein, little sugar , low carbs & I exercise daily ) I actually have had less flares recently and they don't seem as bad as even six months ago . Well i'm rambling now, anyways again welcome keep us posted on how you are doing. The members here are very supportive.
    Take Care,
    Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2003]
  5. bent_wind

bent_wind New Member

Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

I do take Klonopin for panic disorder. It might be that Klonopin is prescribed in higher doses for those with panic disorder vs. generalize anxiety (but I'm not positive this is true).

As far as beginning to take Klonopin, as one person asked, just start out of a very low dosage (the most common is .5mg, three times daily) and see how you do/feel.

Some people may experience lightheadedness during the first few days of taking Klonopin.

I'm pretty good about sticking to taking no more than 2mg, twice daily. While my system has indeed built up a tolerance to Klonopin, the tolerance is not such that I must keep increasing my dosage. In other words, I've leveled out around 2mg, twice daily.

Thanks again for your input.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Kind Regards,

Jeff
  6. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I take just 1 mg. at night and rarely 1/4 of a pill during the day if needed for anxiety. Do you have any trouble functioning on the 2 mg. twice a day? I know that once I take my 1 mg. at night I start to get "loopy" and could never function normally. I have to go to bed about 1 hour after taking it.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I believe panic disorder is different from the anxiety/panic attacks produced by our illnesses in general. For me, the anxiety and panic attacks are not any worse that the sensory overload and racing brain. The Klonopin has completely gotten rid of the anxiety and panic attacks. It greatly reduces my muscle spasms/tics, tinnitus, and sensory overload. Best of all, it allows me to get 8 hours of quality sleep, awakening feeling alert and refreshed.

This is the one medication I believe I can not do without.

Love, Mikie