Anyone take Lunesta? Get sleep but not feel any better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by forfink, Oct 27, 2005.

1. forfink

forfink New Member

I take Lunesta 3mg.- Ultracet 4x's a day, 50mg.- sometimes some valium when I wake at 4 or 5 am about 2mg. just to take some of the pain away. My doctor wants to try me on a new Ambien formulation, he said is better for our FM that has just come out. I do yoga, walk a mile a day, and household chores, but my fatigue is the worst. Have to pace myself. Anyone feel the same? Lots of pain in the morning.....
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

if you're getting any delta sleep? Delta sleep is the deep, restorative sleep that we must have. If you're not getting any, even with Lunesta, you may need to try Xyrem.

abbylee
  3. forfink

forfink New Member

Guess I'm not getting deep Delta sleep even though I am asleep 8 hours a night with only 1 or 2 quick wake ups. Trying to find the right sleep medication is more difficult then one thinks. Too much pain when I wake up, it would be wonderful to find the right combination of meds.
  4. lee1968

lee1968 New Member

I also have a hard time sleeping. My dr. perscribed Lunesta and it did nothing. I thought it would be good with all the commercials saying how you can get a good 8 hours sleep.I am gonna try the ambien CR and hope this works.
  5. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

I even did alot of reading before I went on a substitute sleeping med while I am getting off my Trazodone, and Lunesta was the one that really looked like it would work for me,but no such luck. It is just as though I have taken nothing at all, and the bitter taste that it leaves behind every day is awful isn't it? I haven't been able to drink water all week because the bitter taste in my mouth makes the water taste that way. Finding a good sleep med.IS really important. During the past month that I have been trying to get off of Trazodone,( which worked quite effectively for my sleep), I have not had the stage 4 sleep at all, and I have learned over the past month how vital that is! Without it, my pain is worse,I am not myself at all, I am agitated and just a mess! LOL Carla
  6. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Yes, I have tried Lunesta also. I am also trying Cymbalta also, and the combination of the two has me so sleepy during the day, I just never get out of the grogginess that I wake up with. The Ambien left me wide awake at 4:00am,maybe the new formulation is better. Pain levels are better with the Cymbalta...
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

I'm sorry you're not feeling better. I take lunesta 2mg and often break it in 1/2 for the 1mg dose. I do have less pain after taking it and more clear headed then any other sleep med (or natural aid) I have taken.

Many of the other sleep meds I can't take though due to their effect on REM sleep.

Looking over your list, I do take more tramadol then you do. I take 2 (100mgs) about every 5 hours or so and I also take 600 - 800mgs ibuprofen with it. I learned in a pain management article that tramadol works very well mixed with ibuprofen ... they boost each other's effects. I found it to be true for me.

Also, tramadol gives me a little lift which helps some agaist fatigue ..

Even with improved sleep and anti-viral treatment,( and now working on adjusting the hormones) I still take medication for EDS .. excessive daytime sleepiness. I have two rx'es that I alternate to avoid getting used to them ... Provigil and Adderall.

I don't take them everyday and need less when I do, but I don't trust this illness, so I am very glad I have them on hand.

You seem to be doing alot of things as we should. Why don't you inquire about one of these rx'es. As always, what works for one doesn't work for someone else, but it might still be worth a try. The fatigue is an awful thing to battle on our own sometimes.

I hope you get some relief soon. It's the fatigue symptom that I hate the most ... way more then pain.

Take care,

Elsa
  8. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I take 3 mg of Lunesta & I am finally sleeping 8 hours. It did not give me pain relief. When I wake up I am not groggy at all. I also take 150 mg of Trazodone at night and 60 mg of Cymbalta in the morning. I take 100 mg of Tramadol every 6 hours as needed.

There are other med. that assist like Neurontin, Naproxin, flexeril and vitamins/supplements.