Anyone take Paxil for IBS???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Jul 18, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Was just wondering if anyone takes Paxil for IBS? Does it help? Just wondering if I'm the only one who takes it for this. My gastro prescribed this (I take 1/2 of a 10mg. per day) about 3 years ago. It did a fine job for me.

Since I started taking the liquid vitamins & minerals & liquid calcium/magnesium I decided to play doctor & take myself off the Paxil. Figured I was getting everything my body needed in a day to stay healthy. WRONG!!!

I did fine for the first week, then all my IBS symptoms started coming back. For the past 3 days I've had such bad cramps, & can't seem to stay out of the bathroom! LOL

I started taking the Paxil again on Wed. of this week but so far still feel bad. I know it takes awhile for the Paxil to build up in your system to do any good.

Does anyone know why the Paxil would help IBS? Is it just helping the stress that is a big part of IBS?

Moral of my story? Don't play doctor!!

Take care.....Kathi

2. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Haven't really heard of it helping with IBS...I know that a side affect of Paxil can also be constipation...maybe it is helping with the stress and also is proving to be just binding enough to help with your IBS?

I've had IBS since I was 13...but I can't last three days on Paxil...it makes me close to insane, horribly sick, nasty, and ready to climb the walls, so I really can't tell you if it helps in my case. Dr's still keep trying to get me to take it... although I stopped listening some time ago. They unfortunately do not have to live with me while on it. LOL

Probiotics seem to help me greatly...thankfully. Everyone's chemistry is different I guess...it's terrific though when you can hit on that one thing that works for you!! IBS is not fun to live with.

Hope you start feeling better again soon!
    Take care
    Danny
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I've had IBS since I'm 14 and for years didn't even know what it was. I had horrible pain, etc. but didn't know it was an "illness". I did take Paxil for depression and I don't recall it doing anything for the IBS. But, a major factor in IBS is stress, and if something helps decrease your stress level and thus keep you IBS-free, then I think you should stick with it. I take Effexor now and don't get too many IBS attacks any more. You might want to talk to your pharmacist about this and see what they say.

Annette2
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Taken Paxil, but someone said that if you take a small piece of a Xanax pill under your tongue it will ease the pain (relaxes the muscles).

I tried it this morning as I woke up with the cramps from hell. It worked!

I keep a heating pad with an automatic shut off in the bathroom for the cramps, and now I will keep a Xanax in there too.

As soon as I get to the toilet thats when the cramps get unbearable.

I was taking Noni Juice for about 1 1/2 years for IBS, and it was working very good. So thought I would quit taking it two weeks ago and see if I could live without it, not so I had two attacks since I got off of it, so today I am back on the Noni again. Not worth those cramps.

Shalom, Shirl

5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

for your input. I appreciate it. This is my last refill but will last 2 months since I take 1/2 pill a day. I have my yearly checkup with gastro in August so will ask him why it works.

Shirl, I think we should stick by the old saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it"!!!!

Thanks again....Kathi
  6. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

for depression and it hasn't helped my IBS at all. It has helped with the frequency of my migraines though.
    Nancy