anyone take Robaxin who is also chemical sensitive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suziieq, Feb 6, 2003.

1. suziieq

suziieq New Member

I am checking to see if anyone in here takes Robaxin. I am a severe chemical sensitive, and as usual am hesitant to try anything new.

Any information that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Suziieq
  2. Ness

Ness New Member

I just started taking Robaxin last Friday and I am very chemically sensitive.....I have gotten Migraines from the fillers they put in the meds....so far I am doing well...seems to be helping with the knotted up feeling I always have......I do get a little tingly and just a tad dizzy at first then it wears off...and a little nervous feeling...but it does not last..

I am bothered by perfumes, smells, foods, additives..especailly MSG in any form....

Peace
    Ness
  3. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

Hiya,

I have been on Robaxin 750mg-1000mg for over a month now, and it definitely has helped at the 1000mg level three times a day, once I got over the minimal drowsiness . . .

I consider myself to be EXtremely sensitive to chemicals--I cannot be anywhere near anyone who wears perfume, uses liquid paper, and I myself cannot even spray one spray of hairspray on my hair or I will be in migraine hell immediately. I am also allergic to certain antibiotics and flowers and dust and, well, a lot of things. I don't know if this is what you mean, but I also have to be extremely careful about creams I use . . .

I think that the Robaxin has helped my muscles to relax a bit, but this is only my reaction and my opinion!

Hope this helps!
    April Huque, M.A.
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

What is Robaxin for? I am very sensitive chemically also & to meds. MSG is the worst for me. In some other posts yesterday we were discussing Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin. He talks about how the NMDA (?) and GABA in the brain are out of balance with CFS. NMDA (I think that is the right abbrev.) are glutamate receptors in the brain. Because glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter, too much of it can cause the problem Dr. Cheney is speaking of. My endocrinologist also through his own testing told me that is what he believes the underlying problem to be . . . an imbalance between GABA (inhibitory) & Glutamate (excitatory) where there is too much glutamate. Eating MSG causes the balance to be even more off. Whenever I eat MSG or Nutrasweet (by accident) in minute quantities I get very sick and disoriented, flushing, shortness of breath, bad chills. It's been difficult finding foods without MSG -- soups and salad dressings are especially bad. Although Campbell's Healthy Request doesn't have it in there.

Anyway, sorry I got off on a tangent. I was wondering what Robaxin was used for.

Also, are any of you chemically sensitive people, sensitive to cellular phones, microwaves, etc.? I have become that way recently and it is terrible. I can't go anywhere without trying to dodge people with cell phones.

Also, have you had problems with vitamins. I have become so sensitive that I'm afraid to try them, but I know I should be taking some.

Thanks! Terri
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

a muscle relaxer. My neurosurgeon had me on it when I had back surgery, but it really didn't help me much.

Karen
  6. suziieq

suziieq New Member

I appreciate the feedback. I should of been more clear though. I have sensitivities to meds mostly. I hate to try anything new. Scares the heck out of me as I have had bad reactions to so many things. I am finding that i am developing some other alergies, didn't know you could develope them at a later age. Very strange.