Anyone take SAMe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 22, 2009.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I've been having a really bad aching back. Think it could be arthritis as well as Fibro. Anyone take SAMe for aches and pains?

What are your thoughts? Does it work? Any problems with stomach upset (I have chronic gastritis). My alternative doctor likes 5htp but it makes me sleepy and is bad for people who have Lupus--which I have the skin kind (discoid lupus--which still gives you aches).

Any info will help.

2. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I just bought some and was going to start taking it today. I'll let you know what it does for me-I have the flu-like symptoms of Fibro and hurt all over. I also take Lyrica, but have side effects from that. I've heard Fibro people should take SAMe so I bought some.
    I'll take it for a week or 2 and let you know!
  3. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

taking SAMe...I took it for about 2mos. I think & ended up in the hospital w/severe abdominal pain. I have GERD & colitis. I'll never take that stuff again..

When taking anything for fibro aches & pains/arthritis issues I take 2 tylenol arthritis strength. That takes the edge off anyway..And follow the directions on the bottle if you take them. W/having digestive issues I take them only when needed...And the pain has to be pretty bad for that....

My sis has SLE & takes Plaquinil (sp.) I know you need a docs rx for that..Have you tried it? She says it works well for her..I'm just making suggestions, not giving

I hope you find something that will work for you..Aching all the time is the pits. I've heard aloe is good for gastritis...I take prilosec for GERD & that works for me. I'm sure others here have suggestions for your issues...

4. msSusan

msSusan Member

I had tried this about 6 years ago and was having severe gastro. issues at 200-400mg on an empty stomach. It took several weeks to get the sam-e out of my system. I wasn't taking it long enough to notice any positive changes.

I just read an article that stated you can get good results using much lower doses. You could even cut the 200mg enteric coated tab's in 1/2 and take with food at least initially. I guess the sam-e builds up in your body fairly quickly.

Higher doses can also cause anxiety and headaches?
  5. spacee

spacee Member

I must have really needed it. At first my body seemed to crave it and I could tell when it wore off about 4 hours later. It is an EAA (essential amino acid) that our bodies do not make.

Other than that. I have not found any pain relief. I do take tramadol 25 mgs twice a day so that might mask any pain relief.

My problems are more CFS though I have the FM diagnosis too.

Ok, about the higher doses with me. I took the 400mg three times a day for several weeks. Then it seemed my body didn't crave it and I take it as needed but probably twice a day.

No anxiety or headaches for me at the higher dose...but we are all different!

6. lynncats

lynncats New Member

hope I don't sound too ignorant, but what is SAMe???
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Tramadol but at a higher dose. I can take up to 1O0 mg. three times per day. It varies how much I take but usually at least 100 mgs. I do not get any side effects from the Tramadol.

Darvocet and other narcotics, other than the fentanyl patch which gave me horrific side effects, only take the edge off my pain.

So for me Tramadol has been the answer.

As you say, we are all different.

Take care and good luck in finding something that helps your pain.
  8. kjfe

kjfe New Member

I tried 400 mg Sam-E just a couple of months ago. I had a 30 day supply and hoped that it would kick in, since it says it sometimes can take 3 to 4 weeks to notice a difference in mood, etc. I've had CFS for over 10 years and have tried pretty much everything for depression. I can't tolerate prescriptions and have tried most natural supplements. I didn't notice any difference in leg discomfort nor did I notice a lift in my mood, or help with sleep.

Just like anything else, everybody's different and what works for one may not work for another. I hoped this would help, while at the same time worried about the cost. I found a site that has great prices for natural remedies, but it was still about $18 for a 30 day supply. It really has to make a difference for me to spend that much. It didn't pass my test.

take care
  9. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have started to take low dose (50mg w/breakfast) and have already noticed worsening headaches. (I already have 24/7 non-migraine headaches)

I have had the same problem with 5-HTP and other amino acid supplements.

Does anyone know why this happens and if there's anything I can do to lessen the headaches?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  10. spacee

spacee Member

MsSusan: I have burning skin pain (not because of CFS or FM). 5HTP and AD's that raise my serotonin level all cause an increase (put me in a fetal position) in my skin pain. Not sure how that relates to your headaches though. I am surprised I can take SAMe.

Lynncat: SAMe is an essential amino acid (eaa) that our bodies can't make but can get from proteint (someone please correct me here, if you know more). If you don't get it through food and get deficient, your body can start making a toxic substance.

When I first took it, my body CRAVED it. and I took 4 a day. Now I take one 30 minutes before breakfast and one before lunch.

11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to do a SAM-e experiment to see if it might help with brain function. Here's a link to another thread that may be of interest:

12. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

As you may know, SAMe is a natural substance in every cell of the body, and is one of the four metabolites in the methylation cycle. This cycle appears to be partially blocked in most cases of CFS, based on all the testing done so far. Rather than going ahead and taking SAMe, you might want to test for this block. I've posted several times about the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel, which tests for this.

If a person with a partial methylation cycle block takes SAMe without treating to lift this block, the result will be more sulfur metabolites draining down the transsulfuration pathway and likely producing such things as sulfite and hydrogen sulfide, which are toxins at high enough concentrations. It's not surprising that quite a few people have reported experiencing unpleasant symptoms.

Best regards,

13. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks again for all your good information you post here. Re: Sulfur. Last fall, I tested postiive for numerous Lyme strains and so am reading up little by little. I read a couple weeks ago that a good number of people with Lyme have problems with sulfur containing foods, such as onions, MSM, etc. (I have felt in the past I may be sensitive to high sulfur content foods.)

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read this, or what reasons were speculated as to why sulfur is problematic for so many with Lyme. I was wondering if this bit of information might tell you anything about how Lyme infection problems correlate with methylation block problems.

I've also read a fair amount recently by David Jernigan, a DC who specializes in treating Lyme. He has made the claim that most Lyme symptoms are a result of the neurotoxins created by the Lyme, with ammonia being the worst culprit of all. He claims that it's the ammonia that severely disrupts energy metabolism in the brain. I have wondered whether this bit of information would also tie in with the MCB scenario.

If you are interested, I could be sure to post back here on any of the above information if I run into it again. -- Thanks again.

Best, Wayne