Anyone take Skelaxin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by astroherb, Dec 27, 2008.

1. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I wonder if anyone on this board has taken skelaxin, a muscle relaxant? It was very expensive but when I got home and read the side effects I wished I hadn't filled the perscription. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Skelaxin for me was something I took for the very worst episode of fibro. I only had samples that my doctor gave me. One night we went out with friends and I developed a horrible episode of the "flu feeling" and nothing would help. I took a Skelaxin and went to bed-it was like being put to sleep before surgery. It took ALL pain away and I slept like a rock. I wouldn't take it during the day, that's for sure.
    I don't get that bad all the time, but I'm keeping the samples for future use!!!
    Good luck-
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My rheumy gave me samples to try. Took it only once, made me so wobbly and drugged feeling that I never tried it again. I am very sensitive to meds tho, maybe it was too high of a dose.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've taken it. did nothing for me. Just goes to show how different we all are. I take Soma and I can barely tell I've taken it. Barely effects me or relieves my muscle aches.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

My Dr gave me samples of Skelaxin to try for severe neck and shoulder pain in spring 2008. It did nothing for me at help whatsoever, so I only took it for a short time.
  6. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Ruby--

Yes, I take Skelaxin. Out of all the muscle relaxants I've tired, it is the one that has the least amount of side affects. I can cut my tablet (it's pink, can't think of the dosage) and take it during the day and function okay but a whole tablet leaves me groggy. As a matter of fact, I just took one not too long ago!

Maybe you can start it by either cutting it in half or taking it when you've settled in for the night. I don't work and drive very little, so I take it as needed.

Take Care,
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I have taken it...I feel nothing. I get a little more relief from Soma.

Good Luck
  8. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Hello everyone,

Thank you, thank you, for your responses. I know how hard it is sometimes to find the energy to reply to posts. It was so generous of you.

I feel so much better now as, at least, there were no horror stories about it. Just it worked too well (i.e. zombie state) or not at all. I think I will try it next weekend when I don't have to go to work. I will cut the tablet in half. Even though 800 mg may be the starting dose, I tend to need less of anything I take for it to be effective. I will mainly take it for sleep as the flexerill that I have taken for the last 9 months is no longer as effective as it once was. I use herbs in the daytime to relieve the tight, painful muscles. Helps a little with no side effects.

Thanks again,
  9. Larac.

Larac. New Member

Hi, i took skelaxin 800mg 3 times a day in the very beginning of my fibro battle, which was 4 and 1/2 yrs ago...

I had no problems--I am sorry u have..

I worked in a pharmacy for 20yrs filling and typing scripts--I have knowledge of meds--especially doing alot of self exploring and asking questions about my symptoms...

I have a great rheum0 dr...he also suffers from fibro---

I hope u feel better soon...
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I had taken skelaxin in some years back when it was 400mg I think, It did not do anything.
    My rheumy started me on 800 mg 3-4X per day for lower spine pain. It provides only minimal relief. I also sort of hurt that same spot a day or so before Christmas transferring my disabled mom from her wheelchair to bed. I know I should not be doing that, but its just her and me at home.
    I got over the hump. I take Soma before bed and it
    has a little better action. I think my lower spine pain is actually due to mechanical malfunction rather than the fibro.