Anyone take Soma? I fell, holding grandson.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariee, May 12, 2006.

1. mariee

mariee Member

Thanks for reading this.
    Two weeks ago, I fell, holding my one year old grandson.
    On the way down, I just thought, hold onto the baby!
    I did, he is fine, I have a lot of pain in my hip.

I had Xray, which thankfully, shows no fracture.
    Doc said my muscles were spasming constantly, so put me on Soma and Celebrex. I go for MRI if things don't improve.
    I do have less pain, but don't want to get hooked on Soma.

I have worked hard on getting off a lot of meds.
    Anyone have experience w. Soma for short time...he wants me on it one month. I take it at night only.

Thanks.
  2. mariee

mariee Member

Since being sick, I as so afraid something will happen when I take care of the children.
    They are the lights in my otherwise lonely life.
    Thanks for your response.
    Marie

3. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Hi Marrie,
    I have been taking soma 350mg since 1998 when I hurt my neck. I only use it for muscle spasms. I have neuropathy and muscle cramps in my hands and feet. Its works better than Flexeril for me.
    I wouldn't worry about getting hooked if you take it in moderation.
    I hope everthing works out for you.
  4. mariee

mariee Member

Do you take Soma on a regular basis, or as needed?
    All my muscles do feel so much better! I would love to use it on an as needed basis.
    Thanks for your response!
    Marie
  5. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I have been on soma since 1996.
    I take 375mg 3x a day if needed.
    In the beginning it made me very sleepy I just could not hold me eyes opened. I have found the soma to be the best for me compared to the other muscle relaxers. This is the only pain med I take with Motrin 800 3x day. I only take it when I need it, during the day. But I do take one tablet every night at bed time. I am so sorry to here of your fall how terrible. I am glad to hear your both did not get seriously hurt. It may have been the soma and it may have not been the soma? Remember meds effect everyone differently. If you continue on the soma I would be very careful until you know how it may act on you.

best wishes,
    Michelle
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I took Soma for years and do not think you can get hooked to it like other meds. That was my experience. I think it is excellent for muscle spasms, but it can make you sleepy.
  7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i tried soma, it didn't work well for me. you can only tke it ebry six to eight hours. i would take it and it work really well but then wore off in about two hours. the pain relief from the muscles relaxing on soma was wonderful butit's no good if the effects of a drug doesn't last until you can take another dose. when i stopped taking it after about a wek or two i had no withdrawl symptoms at all like you get with some drugs. i now take robaxin for muscle cramping and it works much better and the effects last longer. so if the soms doesn't work for you, you could ask your dr. for robaxin instead. i hope this helps.
    rachel
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

Hi, I am not sure if everyone understood you correctly. I took it that you fell as a result of muscle spasms and the doctor put you on Soma AFTER you fell. It seems that others thought you meant the Soma made you fall. Can you clarify for us. I have just started taking Soma and want to be very aware if you meant that it made you fall. Zanaflex made me fall and passout. I am not sure it was the Zanaflex, but it seemed to be the culprit. I sure hope Soma doesn't do that.

I am so glad the baby was okay and that you didn't suffer any serious injuries. I hope that the Soma does help you.
  9. gladone

gladone New Member

Hi Mariee,

I can only speak from my personal history but I have been taking 350mg of Soma 3x a day for years.

My doctor has never expressed concerns regarding dependancy. Although, I beleive that your body becomes dependant on anything after an extended period of time.

I think that as with all things in life the key is moderation and control. I further think that if your body is in pain and in need of this med. then it (your body) reacts differently.

I would not be worry about short time use. If soma is working for you then let it.

Just as a note, I have noticed that when I'm on this med. I can get dizzy or lightheaded when I rise to fast from lying/sitting. Since you have already suffered a fall just be careful.

I hope this is helpful in the choice you make.

Good luck!
    Gladone

10. mariee

mariee Member

And yes Petsrme, I was NOT taking Soma before I fell.
    The doc prescribed Soma for me for muscle spasms after I fell.
    I feel good about taking Soma short term now.
    It has been 2 weeks since I fell, and I am doing a bit better.
    I was really surprised when the doc brought me Celebrex.
    I thought it was taken off the market...I do well w. Celebrex.
    Thanks again, to all.
    Love
    Marie